• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

Orange Habanero?

What the hell is this? I got these seeds from a Lowes and grew them last year but they didn't start out like this. They resemble a Jalapeno. I know i didn't get the packets mixed up. I have OCD for my stuff! Any ideas?

DSC04663.jpg

DSC04662.jpg

I'm good with Jalapeño 's, have 5 other jalapeño plants, and some pumpkin habanero's so I have my habanero fix too. Just sucks that this happened, but oh well. Still will eat them just the same. Thanks all.

If you mean that this is from seed in the original packet, they must have gotten contaminated with other seed at some point during their processing.

Might be a jalapeno, but at this stage there are several things it could turn out to be. If they are jalapenos they're a skinny type.

I got a red cayenne plant that was labeled as a yellow cayenne... and evidently a green bell pepper plant that was labeled as a red bell pepper there. Granted, I may not have waited long enough, but this bell pepper is about the size of a softball, and still hasn't turned.

Both from Lowes... Not saying it is their fault... probably Bonnie... but, it is still a little disappointing. Red bell peppers are like buying gold, so I wanted to grow my own.

Was the plant skinny and whispy at time of purchase or was it shorter and leafier? Habs fall under the latter description and tend to grow rather stout in their youth.

I'd suggest waiting it out to see what the finished product is and identify from there. It is indeed a mystery!

Unlike the other Jalapeno's that I have it grew tall with all the leaves at top, not bushy like you would think. It did grow rather fast. Last years Orange habs took awhile longer as I recall. Screwed the pooch on this one. Oh well.

I was not real excited about growing jalapenos just due to the fact you can buy them locally here at ANY store, but it seems within the past few years they have been considerably more and more mild. I believe in another thread on this forum someone was talking about a jalapeno hybrid created by Texas A&M that is the cause of this.

Anyways I plan on stressing my jalapenos and putting that heat back where it belongs!

Back