• If you have a question about commercial production or the hot sauce business, please post in Startup Help.

orange habs what should i make.

i have over 600g's of orange habs and what should i make with them.. i have a couple ideas like some hab honey or a sweet and sour hab sauce with pinaple. or perhaps make some concentrate. for use in sauces later on. but all i know is if i need more habs the local grocer has 15kg for me.

FiveStar said:
Hab Poppers!!!!! Also you can dry them for powder, make some sauce, candied habs, or even orange hab and mango ice cream!

how do you make candied habs? and the popers are cheeze stuffed habs and then breaded correct? and i dont know how to make ice cream.

RecePie, I love it:)
Here's a list of my pepper uses:
"I smoke, dry, sauce, pickle, freeze, eat fresh, cook with, give away, occassionally sell, and some get strung up or jarred for decoration. Oh and some spicy vodka and oils, and pest control too. I think thats most everything"

if you saw Forrest Gump, there are as many uses for Orange habs as there are for shrimp... :lol: just ask Bubba

I'd make some sauce!

What about an orange theme?

Orange habs, orange juice, vinegar, salt.

Call it...

Orange You Hot Yet?
or
Orange You The Devil?

thehotpepper.com said:
I'd make some sauce!

What about an orange theme?

Orange habs, orange juice, vinegar, salt.

Call it...

Orange You Hot Yet?
or
Orange You The Devil?

lol thats quite funny. but today i did do a couple things with some habs. ill post pics. as soon as they get uploaded.

yay double post but anyways here are said pictures.

a pic of the habs i bought today.
Picture343.jpg

ok chopping the habs to make some hab honey.
Picture348.jpg

a nice macro of halved habs
Picture350.jpg

10 halved habs to be made into a very small batch of sauce. came out to 2.5oz didn't get any pics of the actual cooking or canning since my bats died. but as for taste its not quite there yet. i used too much viniger.
Picture351.jpg

continued.
pic of closed hab honey.
Picture352.jpg

5 habs worth habs worth of honey heat.
Picture353.jpg

and for the lovely orange colored sauce that has too much vinegar. i even tried out wax sealing this one. and found out that food coloring dosent work as a wax dye.
Picture354.jpg

ok ingredients in sauce:
10 orange habs
too much vinegar
water
splash of lemon juice
honey
salt
multi Cornell pepper. (red white green black)

and about half hour of cooking and a good thrashing in the blender.

ok i made some orange based sauce.. which i will be sending to neil when i send out the DD's for review. here is the lable i will be puting on it.

orangeyouhotyet.png

thanks for the name THP!

thehotpepper.com said:
Glad to help! Sounds great.

yep and hopefully neil likes it. i'll post pics of the finished lable and bottle before i send it off on its journy on the gold plated plane. (a joke about shipping costs)

ok made new batch of OYHY sauce. called the "Super concentrate" this time i was smart enough to cook it outside on the grills side burner.

aprox 30+ orange habs went into it. 1/4 red onion. 1 toe of garlic and about 20 or so mini carots. no salt or pepper this time.
Picture394.jpg

ok sauce at a light bubble. after that cooked it went into the blender and got the carrots (forgot beforehand) and more orange juice
Picture395.jpg

then i reduced it down to about 1.5 cups lol. i could make soft peaks with the spoon afterwards.
Picture401.jpg

all in all it took about an hour to make. stuff is wicked though 3 stages
stage 1 orange flavor
stage 2 hab flavor
stage 3 HEAT!
i'd say at least twice as hot as the stuf i sent neil.

yea and its a right ripper also. i put about 1/4 of a teaspoon of the stuff into a bowl of queso and it gave it just the right amount of heat.

but yea thats it for the orange habs. the ones i do have are getting dried for seeds and poweder.

Back