• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

Orange Habs

Was in the local natural foods store today and noticed these...orange habs...or are they?

Orangehabs1.jpg

They look just like an orange hab, smooth, semi-translucent skin...haven't tasted one yet...
Orangehabs2.jpg

The ones on the left are the orange habs..the right are scorpions I got from biscgolf.

These are from a different natural food store.

Orangehabs3.jpg

Orangehabs4.jpg

The ones on the left are the orange habs...the ones on the right are Bhuts from biscgolf also.

Habs that are looking like orange scorpions...?

Nice find dude!
I too have found pods like you have, I'm growing out one of the Habs that I found recently..
Calling it the Hab XXL :cool:

IMG_0392.jpg

I've seen friends and members on THP grow out oddly shaped peppers from supermarkets and they all grow like the ones they have found. Pick out your favs and grow those babies out next year!

I think what happens is that the stores have peppers in their computers under different categories. Usually, jalapenos, poblanos, fresno, Hungarian Wax, maybe serrano, and habanero. They have no category for superhots, but they may get some from their distributors every now and then labeled habanero because they have no idea what they have, just that it is HOT. So, they in turn label them as habaneros too out of convenience for the codes, labeling, pricing etc. I have found fataliis labeled habs, but never scorpions or bhuts. I will keep looking though! Great find.

Its also just easier for most stores to label them as habaneros since its a lot easier to say hab then to explain the whole C. chinenses misnomer, and most non-chileheads aren't concerned with pod shape and plant origin etc.

the exact thing happened to me last week. i purchased some orange habaneros from safeway and they had the scorpion look to them not all but some. Posted pictures on here and was told that they may be habaneros but that the shape is not allways as you would expect.

Just last Friday I hand picked about 10 orange habaneros from the local grocery store that look exactly the same as yours with the cool tails. About 25% of the pods they were selling had tails. Flavor and heat was exactly the same as a normal orange hab, but they looked so cool I had to buy some.

Here are some pics of the inside...
IMG_6940.jpg

The top left is a normal grocery store hab...the middle and top right are the other 'habs'
IMG_6941.jpg

close up...
IMG_6942.jpg

another close up.

The heat and flavor are on par with 'normal' grocery store habs...

Back