• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

Orchid Pepper ?

About 6 years ago I grew this pepper from seeds given to me by a coworker. It was said to be called "Orchid Pepper". It has a somewhat unusual color best described as in between orange and red. Sometimes called mauve or pink. It is not hot at all and did remind me of the Bell pepper taste. I thought I would try some of those old seeds this year. Since it resembles a scotch bonnet a bit I assumed it would be a chinense variety. All the searches I try refer to a baccutum that is long and slender.

Using google images about 3 or 4 pages in there is an image of the pepper like what I grew in 2004.

Orchidpepper-2sm.jpg

Does anyone know anything of this pepper?

Thanks Mike:?:

I grew it a couple years ago but don't have any memories of it being special. I got the seeds from rareseeds.com but they are not carrying it this year.

Mike

It could be. Do you know what color that ripens to. And I'm most curious what the species it is.

The Cambuci I see is listed as a baccutum but also referred to as hot and ripens red. The pepper I grew is definitely on the sweet side.
I have some in the tray, we will see if I can get them to sprout.

Thanks to all

There are a bunch of Bishop cap types out there.Some look the same but others have different characteristics that make them different not in just name or place of origin only.
There are also Annuums and Chinense that have similar pods.
You just have to get them all to see. :)

No such thing as too many peppers.

I had a pack of seeds that were either labled Bishops cap or Bishops crown that turned out looking like Orchid BUT they had Trinidad Scorpion tails.
Pretty cool looking pods.
Mice ate the pods last season but the plant is still out there.Maybe this spring I'll get pods/seeds from it if the cold or rain doesn't get it first.
Cool pod , I'd like to keep the strain growing.
The original seeds were pure from Beth at Peppermania.
I think it was my growing conditions rather than seed purity that made the tails come out as a trait in the pods.
The first year they looked like they should have.
In my containers I get a lot of pod variations probably due to nutrients and enviornment in my pots/containers.

Back