• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

Ordering my first seeds / pods...wanna help?

I have the list of Capsicum species that are available from what I believe is the only wholesaler in South Africa, and I would appreciate your help in choosing:

Firstly, do I grow from seeds or buy pods?

Space is not an issue and prices are low enough to not factor in at all, but to be honest I'm like a blank canvas - I have no set goals or aims, or even preferences. I just feel it will be fun to experiment with some different bushes / species, and you fellas have made it all sound so exciting!

So I have no restrictions, really. I enjoy hot and spicy food, as well as salsas and dips that are milder. What I really want to avoid is getting to mid Summer (December) and based on knowledge I'm sure I'll glean here in the next few months, finding I have grown all the wrong things! ;)

Apparently the best time for seedlings is round about now, so what would you suggest I plant / avoid?

This is what they have available:

Paprika mantenga
C. habanero (No note of which one)
C. inchanga
C. jalapeno M
C. paprika (no further info)
C. long red Cayenne
C. serrano
C. serrano long
C. Thai Dragon
C. malaga (Bird's Eye)
C. santa Fe Grande
C. tobasco
C. uyababa (70 000 SHU. Might be local...not sure)
C. peppadew (Sweet, lovely pepper from South Africa) Only one I know!
C. aladin X3R
C. king arthur
C. santorini
C. ballito (pos local)
C. blushing beauty
C. tequila, and
C. california wonder

Cheers! :cheers:

Check out other sources of seeds before you buy to get a good idea of what suits your tastes. I bought 16 varieties from Hippy Seed Company here in Australia, ranging from mild to wild, and he describes them all on his site. Find a site where you get plenty of info to help you choose. Everyone's tastes are different.

chilliman said:
They dont seem to have any superhotty`s
Send me your Addy by PM I will send you some superhots if you want ?

That's very kind, chilliman, and I may take you up on that sometime, but to be honest, I don't know if I'm even up to a SH just yet! :oops: I thought that if I can at least get some bushes planted immediately, I'd have plenty to experiment with come Summer..and then maybe learn what my taste levels are.

SeeYouJimmy said:
Check out other sources of seeds before you buy to get a good idea of what suits your tastes. I bought 16 varieties from Hippy Seed Company here in Australia, ranging from mild to wild, and he describes them all on his site. Find a site where you get plenty of info to help you choose. Everyone's tastes are different.

I'll check out their site SYJ, but I have already seen several sites in USA and UK, and my mind is spinning. Every varietal / cultivar / species (Which is correct, pls?) looks enticing, and with thousands available, and me in my late 40's, I really need some guidance...:lol:

I know my post is very vague, but I guess I'm hoping you fellas will save me from planting a load of rubbish which I'll regret later.

By the way, do you only plant in late Winter? What happens if you find something you like the look of in mid Summer - do you wait until the next Winter to plant it?

Thanks, all!

IMO - Basic peppers to try would be Jalapeno, Habanero,Tabasco and Cayenne. Then Santa Fe Grande (it's mild) and maybe Thai Dragon. After that, you're on your own. Those will give a good idea of some basic flavors and a good range of heat.

bigt said:
IMO - Basic peppers to try would be Jalapeno, Habanero,Tabasco and Cayenne. Then Santa Fe Grande (it's mild) and maybe Thai Dragon. After that, you're on your own. Those will give a good idea of some basic flavors and a good range of heat.

Ill second that !:onfire:

I've got some Jimmy Nardello's sweet Italian that you might like plus I would add some sweet banana peppers. You have to go with at least one super hot huntsman, just to have it around. You can dry the pods and powder them and use it to season food and such. It isn't superhot if you just add a teeny bit to a soup or meatloaf and they have some wonderful flavors. Just another pepper shaker you know.

Try growing the Bhut Jolokia. It's just so cool to tell folks you're growing the hottest pepper in the world. Just say the word and I'll get some out to you.

huntsman said:
I know my post is very vague, but I guess I'm hoping you fellas will save me from planting a load of rubbish which I'll regret later.

By the way, do you only plant in late Winter? What happens if you find something you like the look of in mid Summer - do you wait until the next Winter to plant it?

Thanks, all!

Most of the varieties you listed I have never heard of, but Jalapenos are mild enough for a beginner, and tasty too, the serranos aren't all that hot but the flavour is absolutely awesome. I've been growing orange habaneros for years and put them in almost everything I cook. Pretty hot but if you use sparingly you'll be fine with them. Once you cut one open and get a good smell of it, you'll wonder how you ever lived without them. :)

Personally I wouldn't start any in summer but there are many here who do and they seem to get great results come harvest time. If your winters are anything like mine you'll need to be able to keep them indoors.

some of those I've never heard of, but that doesnt mean they're not good. its a nice selection of chiles & you said space is not an issue, I say plant them all! :) but what is strange is theres no fatalii's in your list.

it all comes down to location for what grows best for some people, then preference on taste cuz everyone has their own preference when it comes to taste. example I'd take thai chiles before cayennes, while others would prefer cayennes over thais.
for starting out growing chiles I think you have a decent list with different heat levels to mess around with, you'll learn in short time what chile flavors you like but at the same time you'll be trying different types every year.

C. habanero
C. inchanga
C. jalapeno M
C. paprika
C. long red Cayenne
C. serrano
C. serrano long
C. Thai Dragon
C. malaga
C. santa Fe Grande
C. tobasco
C. uyababa
C. peppadew
C. aladin X3R
C. king arthur
C. santorini
C. ballito
C. blushing beauty
C. tequila, and
C. california wonder
Wow, so many new species.

Dudes!

You have got to check out the YouTube inserts on The Hippy Seed Company's site...
the owner (or perhaps it's his slave, 'cause I wouldn't do it for money!) eats an entire 7 pot and later one of the Nagas..on camera! :hell: Man, I hope his toilet paper is kept in the deep freezer, 'cause he'll be grateful later...

Just checked out chilliman's Australian site, and there's some scary shit there too! Great site!

Good advice from you lads - thank you! I think I'll go with your suggested species as well as any that appear endemic, so I can post pics and give y'all feedback later.

Any seeds I don't use will probably go on the swap-shop forum here on the site...

I've just returned from a nursery where a Black Pearl bush is living happily outside, but I'm in a frosty area, so I'll be careful with cold as you suggested SeeYouJimmy.

Patrick, if you recommend those two species and the Bhut so highly, I'd love to get a few seeds from you mate - cheers! :lol:

Now to convince the family that my years of creating a shady garden were actually a precursor of my next fad! Mwahahahaha!

Hi Potawie -

Thanks for that info, and yeah, that is indeed another SA seed seller, though not a wholesaler and their prices are wicked! :shocked:

Min of 12 seeds per pack for R40, and the other fella offers min of 30 seeds for R7.50... This chap is 15 times the price of the other for the same amount of seeds. ;)

Good to have another option, but I visited The Hippy Seed Co. in Australia and even with shipping it would be much cheaper to import. Someone on the forums recommended a British supplier, The Chilli Pepper Co. UK, who also seem to have a great selection, but I don't work with credit cards, so I guess I will have to rely on swapping on the forum or bite the bullit and get a starter set from the local suppliers.

That scotch bonnet does look rather fun, as does the penis pepper, which I absolutely have to have...think of the havoc I can reap with that variety!!

Thanks again, friend!

The Peter pepper is very dissapointing in my opinion. They don't taste good and they rarely look like a penis:(
Once you figure out what peppers you want, its likely some members here can help out with seeds. I hate to see people paying ridiculous prices for seeds when they cost nothing to save.

Yeah, a couple have already offered, but as you say, it would be better to wait until I have figured out which direction to move in.

I do have some dried pods by that seller you mentioned, called HOTAZEL (Hot as hell, obviously) and I will certainly plant them in my first batch.

Back