Oregon growers: any advice?

Hi all!  I'm jealous of all of the southern growers with big plants!  I'm currently doing a weekly rotation of:

1) Miracle Gro 24-8-16 (I didn't use the tomato food as it didn't come in bulk)
2) Fish fertilizer 5-1-1 with Age old Kelp (0.30-0.25-0.15)
3) Epsom salt foliar spray (1 tsp per 32 oz spray bottle)

Plants are on south side of house.  Any tips?  Or is this "normal" for Oregon?  I just watered by the way.  Should I switch to a "bloom" fertilizer with less N now?  Or wait?  Shut up and just wait?  I think this is more than likely the case.  If so, enjoy the pics of my 24 peppers  :P

Aji Dulce
20140619_034737658_iOS.jpg

Hawaiian Sweet Hot
20140619_034743642_iOS.jpg

Big Jim
20140619_034748774_iOS.jpg

Giant Jalapeno
20140619_034754077_iOS.jpg

Hatch
20140619_034800406_iOS.jpg

Gochu Garu
20140619_034804829_iOS.jpg

Habanero
20140619_034815681_iOS.jpg

Bhut Jolokia White
20140619_034828128_iOS.jpg

7 Pod Primo
20140619_034836723_iOS.jpg

Pasilla
20140619_034841072_iOS.jpg

Reaper
20140619_034844779_iOS.jpg

TS Butch T
20140619_034848256_iOS.jpg

Aji Poblano
20140619_034900710_iOS.jpg

Bulls Heart
20140619_034913435_iOS.jpg

Guarani
20140619_034926256_iOS.jpg

Aji Pineapple
20140619_034930100_iOS.jpg

Jalapeno
20140619_034934747_iOS.jpg

Santa Fe
20140619_034938558_iOS.jpg

Anaheim
20140619_034948091_iOS.jpg

Yolo Wonder
20140619_034951431_iOS.jpg

Red Hot
20140619_034955168_iOS.jpg

Ancho
20140619_035000442_iOS.jpg

Jalapeno Cracked
20140619_035012641_iOS.jpg

Mystery (seed Ajijoe put in a SASBE)
20140619_035023294_iOS.jpg

Your plants are kicking ass. I'm in Oregon too we just need to wait for warm weather. I assume you're in the Willamette valley? Hold off on the big NPK nutes to a while. Let them do their thing

Looking good. There are a pair of Glogs I would fallow and read.
1. Paul G is one the other is by       http://thehotpepper.com/topic/44101-paulg-2014/
2. Spanks colts       http://thehotpepper.com/topic/45462-spankyscolts-2014-glog-season-3/
Both are local Oregon boys and have a tremendous amount of information one can use.

I am in Salem and have followed both for a few years prior to my first grow. I my self don't use miracle grow any thing. Just A F And Epsom salt. Now keep in mind I started next year's plants 2 weeks ago. And will over winter them.

How much space do you have for starting the plants in January ? And so on. Hope this helps, Please start a Glog and share with us your grow. But things look good to me. This past week has been terrible grow weather but the plants will snap back.

Heyyy! You're about 45 minutes from Vancouver! haha. It's weird to see people that live close to me on here. I wish I had some reaper seeds =/ All I got growing right now is habaneros, bhuts, sweet banana peppers(for my wife), green belles(once again, for the wife), jalapenos, and pimentos. We need consistent warm weather! It sucks that it's great outside for like, 3 days, then rains for a week...lol

xBrianxEdge said:
Heyyy! You're about 45 minutes from Vancouver! haha. It's weird to see people that live close to me on here. I wish I had some reaper seeds =/ All I got growing right now is habaneros, bhuts, sweet banana peppers(for my wife), green belles(once again, for the wife), jalapenos, and pimentos. We need consistent warm weather! It sucks that it's great outside for like, 3 days, then rains for a week...lol
I know where you can get Reaper starts if you're interested.

I"d switch to a balanced fertilizer now, especially for those in the ground.  Your pot size could be larger so later on in the season you might find some benefit to giving the potted ones a bit more of the high-N fertilizer rotated with a balanced NPK fert.

I don't know your soil but the ones in the ground look a bit like you are watering (or it is raining) too often instead of deeper each time.

KevinH said:
Looking good. There are a pair of Glogs I would fallow and read.
1. Paul G is one the other is by       http://thehotpepper.com/topic/44101-paulg-2014/
2. Spanks colts       http://thehotpepper.com/topic/45462-spankyscolts-2014-glog-season-3/
Both are local Oregon boys and have a tremendous amount of information one can use.

I am in Salem and have followed both for a few years prior to my first grow. I my self don't use miracle grow any thing. Just A F And Epsom salt. Now keep in mind I started next year's plants 2 weeks ago. And will over winter them.

How much space do you have for starting the plants in January ? And so on. Hope this helps, Please start a Glog and share with us your grow. But things look good to me. This past week has been terrible grow weather but the plants will snap back.

Thanks for the links to the glogs.  I did start a glog, but hasn't gotten much action yet.  No big deal though  :surprised:

What is A F by the way?

If you started your 2015 plants a few weeks ago, how do you overwinter them?  I would be interested to see that!  I started in January and have two spots that are 1 foot by 3.5 feet.  I use two T5 HO lights 6500k for each spot.  

Here is my glog by the way: http://thehotpepper.com/topic/46567-fgpepperguys-glog/

xBrianxEdge said:

It is a small world!  If you are still looking for reaper seeds this fall send me a note.  I should be able to send you some.  Get on a train?

Dave2000 said:
I"d switch to a balanced fertilizer now, especially for those in the ground.  Your pot size could be larger so later on in the season you might find some benefit to giving the potted ones a bit more of the high-N fertilizer rotated with a balanced NPK fert.

I don't know your soil but the ones in the ground look a bit like you are watering (or it is raining) too often instead of deeper each time.

I haven't found a well balanced fertilizer besides triple 16 haha!  Not very organic.  Any recommendations?  I've looked.....

PepperWhisperer said:
Wrong plant. Peppers don't have separate growth and bloom cycles, they just keep on growing while they are blooming and fruiting. Feed them a balanced set of nutrients and supplement as needed based on observed symptoms.

Thank you!

Alaskan Fish emulsion.

As for over wintering I will bring them into my garage and put them under a t5 set of lights. This was more a test then any thing.

Portland here!! :onfire:   I was wondering how many of us Oregonians were on here.  Do you guys know about the Facebook Hot Pepper Growing Society page?  It is another good source of info.

My peppers are finally starting to show a bit of upward motion also.  If we could get passed this damn rain and overcast skies we could get some better growth I bet.   I am growing in buckets/pots this year but I am going to build raised beds next year.  I started my plants indoors in January/Februaryish under T8 4' 6500 K lights.  I started tomatoes, basil, bell peppers, and Jalapeno's.  My fruit output so far is not where I figured it would be but I am finding that most of the peppers I am growing won't start to fruit until August anyway.

LowDrag said:
Portland here!! :onfire:   I was wondering how many of us Oregonians were on here.  Do you guys know about the Facebook Hot Pepper Growing Society page?  It is another good source of info.

My peppers are finally starting to show a bit of upward motion also.  If we could get passed this damn rain and overcast skies we could get some better growth I bet.   I am growing in buckets/pots this year but I am going to build raised beds next year.  I started my plants indoors in January/Februaryish under T8 4' 6500 K lights.  I started tomatoes, basil, bell peppers, and Jalapeno's.  My fruit output so far is not where I figured it would be but I am finding that most of the peppers I am growing won't start to fruit until August anyway.

Yeah what the hell happened an hour ago?! That rain was POURING down and all I could think was, "Well, the plants in my backyard are screwed now..." haha...I'm a first year grower and I have a huge spot in my backyard full of really nice soil. I planted a couple tomatoes, a bunch of sugar snap peas, and a broccoli plant back there just to see how they would do. So far, my heirlooms that I have back there (mortgage lifter and san marzano) are doing incredibly better than when they were in containers. Same with the broccoli and peas. 

Anyways, I'm in Vancouver. Is there anyone in the area that sells superhot seeds? I hate waiting for things in the mail, haha...the only things I've been able to find at stores/farmers markets is either bhuts or habaneros. I have two bhuts, one of them is a little guy and I just cut the top off of my other one since it was budding and it wasn't NEAR the height/sturdiness it should be. But yeah..Good to see some locals on here! :D

xBrianxEdge said:

Yeah what the hell happened an hour ago?! That rain was POURING down and all I could think was, "Well, the plants in my backyard are screwed now..." haha...I'm a first year grower and I have a huge spot in my backyard full of really nice soil. I planted a couple tomatoes, a bunch of sugar snap peas, and a broccoli plant back there just to see how they would do. So far, my heirlooms that I have back there (mortgage lifter and san marzano) are doing incredibly better than when they were in containers. Same with the broccoli and peas. 

Anyways, I'm in Vancouver. Is there anyone in the area that sells superhot seeds? I hate waiting for things in the mail, haha...the only things I've been able to find at stores/farmers markets is either bhuts or habaneros. I have two bhuts, one of them is a little guy and I just cut the top off of my other one since it was budding and it wasn't NEAR the height/sturdiness it should be. But yeah..Good to see some locals on here! :D

I was driving west from Hillsboro at 5pm and saw a huge thundercloud behind me towards the east.  Was nice out towards where I live but I heard it got pretty nasty near Portland!  Are you in a hurry to get seeds in pots/ground?  Its a little late unless you are going to raise them indoors.  

LowDrag said:

Welcome!  Good to know when you started your seeds. I guessed and I think I will delay until Feb 1st or the 15th next year.  I will check out the facebook page for sure!

FGpepperguy said:

I was driving west from Hillsboro at 5pm and saw a huge thundercloud behind me towards the east.  Was nice out towards where I live but I heard it got pretty nasty near Portland!  Are you in a hurry to get seeds in pots/ground?  Its a little late unless you are going to raise them indoors.  

Welcome!  Good to know when you started your seeds. I guessed and I think I will delay until Feb 1st or the 15th next year.  I will check out the facebook page for sure!

Yeah we were taking my wife's mom to the airport, she came to visit for a week and some change. It was insane once we hit the Portland->Vancouver bridge..but yeah. It was nasty for a little bit! As far as the seeds go, I was definitely going to raise them indoors. Seems like that's the only way you can go up here haha. 

xBrianxEdge said:

I just got a little sprinkle over here near SE Powell & 122nd area.  Nothing bad.  I had to suffer through a rain storm a week or so ago that I thought was going to lay waste to my plants but they pushed thru it just fine.  I have a place nearby here that sells Trinidad Butch T Scorpions but they are starts not seeds.  You should have seen the look on the girls face when I asked her if they had Trinidad Scorpions.  It was almost like she was looking for the hidden camera by the way she was scanning the surrounding area.   I was cracking up.   This is what I was transplanting this afternoon when the rain showed up.

Gypsy Pepper

Hungarian wax Peppers

I got these plants today at a nursery for $6.50.  I couldn't pass up the price on these guys.

LowDrag said:

I just got a little sprinkle over here near SE Powell & 122nd area.  Nothing bad.  I had to suffer through a rain storm a week or so ago that I thought was going to lay waste to my plants but they pushed thru it just fine.  I have a place nearby here that sells Trinidad Butch T Scorpions but they are starts not seeds.  You should have seen the look on the girls face when I asked her if they had Trinidad Scorpions.  It was almost like she was looking for the hidden camera by the way she was scanning the surrounding area.   I was cracking up.   This is what I was transplanting this afternoon when the rain showed up.

Gypsy Pepper

Hungarian wax Peppers

I got these plants today at a nursery for $6.50.  I couldn't pass up the price on these guys.
Oh wow! Mind sharing the name of the place you got them from?? :D I'd love to get my hands on some!

Serres Greenhouse

14620 S. Forsythe Rd
Oregon City, Oregon 97045

Landline Phone:  503-655-0938

Cell Phone:  503-320-0789

They have a ton of tomato plants that have tomatoes on them too.

Their vegetable section opens the end of next month.  Right now all they have is plants/flowers of various types.  All of their hot pepper plants except for some Hungarian Wax peppers and some other milder varieties sold out in the first week they were open for the season.  They had a lot of these two peppers when I was there this afternoon. 

LowDrag said:
Serres Greenhouse

14620 S. Forsythe Rd
Oregon City, Oregon 97045

Landline Phone:  503-655-0938

Cell Phone:  503-320-0789

They have a ton of tomato plants that have tomatoes on them too.

Their vegetable section opens the end of next month.  Right now all they have is plants/flowers of various types.  All of their hot pepper plants except for some Hungarian Wax peppers and some other milder varieties sold out in the first week they were open for the season.  They had a lot of these two peppers when I was there this afternoon. 
Nice thanks! So they don't have any Butch T's there right now? =/

Back