Ornamental peppers 2007

This year I'm growing a lot of different ornamental peppers, what about everyone else? Anybody have a favorite for looks? So far this year I'm loving the Filius Blue as well as some others I'll post later(No broadband out here in the country, slow eh!)

I've always wondered if you can eat the chiles from ornamental plants ? granted they have no heat but what about flavor ?
I've seen some neat looking plants but just wonder what the point is other than for looks. which I'm not a type of person to grow a plant for just looks, but if they had a decent flavor then I might try growing them.

I'm in the same boat as you, no high speed internet ;) oh well I guess it could be worse - no computer or phone line :P :lol:

I've heard the filius blue is ok for eating but I generally don't eat any of the ornamentals, its the landscaper in me. People just love the ornamental peppers, they can't stop talking about them while I'm trying to promote habs and nagas. This year I plan to sell a few plants and peppers at the local market to get a local feel for demands and to get rid of surplus peppers.

You can eat ornamentals and they do have heat. My favorite is the Peter Pepper just because the way it looks is just too damn priceless.

I'd love to see a real good pic of the peter pepper, maybe I'll grow one next year although I hear they taste pretty salty, I mean tasteless.

POTAWIE said:
I'd love to see a real good pic of the peter pepper, maybe I'll grow one next year although I hear they taste pretty salty, I mean tasteless.

Do a Google Image search, you'll get lots of hits.

POTAWIE said:
This year I'm growing a lot of different ornamental peppers, what about everyone else? Anybody have a favorite for looks?

I always grow some fish peppers, but if the peppers weren't decent medium heat eating peppers, I wouldn't grow them. I think some of the non-ornamentals are pretty enough to grow in my flower beds. Tabasco peppers look like giant candelabras covered in tiny red flames, and Trinidad Perfume peppers look like someone hung pretty yellow Christmas ornaments all over them. Jalora jalapeños are pretty plants, too.

Whats a fish pepper?

I had 4 Madusa (sp?) plants last summer, and planning on getting several of these soon for the warm season. The wife liked them so much that she's agreed to replace all of the potted flowers on our deck and front porch with ornamental's. No more flowers! WoooHooo!!

cap'n - sounds like your plan is working ;) :lol: but how are you gonna work in the Naga christmas tree ? :lol: (if you put one up ?)

pam - sounds like you've did some searches for peter(s) pepper

Pam said:
I always grow some fish peppers, but if the peppers weren't decent medium heat eating peppers, I wouldn't grow them. I think some of the non-ornamentals are pretty enough to grow in my flower beds. Tabasco peppers look like giant candelabras covered in tiny red flames, and Trinidad Perfume peppers look like someone hung pretty yellow Christmas ornaments all over them. Jalora jalapeños are pretty plants, too.

yes Tabasco plants look awesome, especially when all the peppers start to ripen!

These Thai peppers I grew last year looked just as cool!

POTAWIE said:
This year I'm growing a lot of different ornamental peppers, what about everyone else? Anybody have a favorite for looks? So far this year I'm loving the Filius Blue as well as some others I'll post later(No broadband out here in the country, slow eh!)

is this a pic of a Filius Blue ?
It looks exactly like the Pretty Purple Pepper I'm growing.

Ya the Filius Blue looks very similar to Pretty Purple. I have them both to compare this year but started the Filius Blue quite a bit earlier. I grew the fish pepper but it wasn't one of my favs. The medusa is nice but not my favorite either. Chilehunter, a lot of the ornamentals are quite hot its the flavor they are usually lacking.
I overwintered this medusa for my mother who really liked it.

I grow ornamentals for bragging rights....people who come in the garden say: "What is that cool plant?"

Most people where I live have never seen chile plants and are surprised and pleased by their beauty.

This is my ringer for this year with the added advantage of their use for culinary purposes.

MiniRoosterSpur2.jpg

Some of my faves were definently mentioned.....Bolivian Rainbow and Fish. Me personally, I've always had a difficult time with the "ornamental label". Different strokes for different Peter Pepper folks I guess, or something like that...:shocked: lol!! Harder to find anything more ornamental than a pepper plant w/ gorgeous ripening fruits, regardless of cultivar name IMO. That being said I know what you're saying and talking about regarding the "ornamental" name/label.

I personally didn't grow the plants, but I'm trading a friend some of my seedlings for some awesome looking Black Pearl seedlings he started some weeks back. Not that I'm incredibly experienced, but I've yet to see foliage that dark and glossy looking before, should be fun!!

This year I have the aforementioned Bolivian Rainbow and Fish going. Also have Numex Twilight, Nepali Orange, Brazilian Starfish and Hungarian Black in the works. Starfish(a C.baccatum) seedlings are especially impressive, lots of color variability with the Hungarian's foliage too.

NICE PICS everyone:) !! Need to figure out why I'm not allowed to attach images...teeny tiny computer problems for most, are grande problemas for this "computer user".

I was browsing a flower retailer web site yesterday, and they listed the Black Pearl pepper plant for sale at 2 for $17.95.

And here you guys are giving each other the seeds for free...

Black Pearls are a pvp variety and are hybrids to they can charge a fortune knowing they are the only suppliers. Nice looking plants though.

Back