• Please post pictures and as much information as possible.

"Ougon"

Hi there. Long time lurker, first time poster.

I live in Japan and grow a couple of pepper plants every summer as a hobby. I am interested in growing what is supposed to be the hottest Japanese pepper and am looking for more information on it in English. The pepper is called 黄金 and is pronounced "Ougon" in Japanese. Its literal translation is "Yellow Gold" and I have seen on website call it "Gold Pepper." Supposed to have been introduced to Japan in the late 1500s. I have only seen it sold as a powder (to be added to udon noodle soup, Japanese curry, etc). It is possible to buy seedlings online.

"Ougon" is listed on one website as Capsicum annuum. The plant grows to 60-80 cm in height, and the peppers grow to 0.8 cm in width and 10-13 cm in length. It is between 50,000 to 120,000 SHU. I'm including some pictures.

So does anyone know anything about this pepper? Mainly, what's its common English name? I've tasted the powder and thought it was similar to cayenne powder, with slightly more bitterness and depth. But I am not a hot pepper expert and my experience is limited. 

p1020689-thumb-650x488-58.jpg
DSCN4669_1_20100325222448.jpg
img62099739.jpg

Back