• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

preservation oven drying

Just spent 2 hours cutting up peppers that are starting to ripen too much....way too much for my old dehydrator...I have a few fans running in the kitchen to keep the smell at bay(my wife dont like the smell)..450 seems kinda high

I agree.

When I'm to lazy to get out the dehydrator, I set the oven to the lowest temp possible and turn it off once it warms up. I have to do that more than once, but they do come out looking and tasting good.

That's what I've done with all of them. The only one I've named myself is "Barracuda Breath".

But seriously, oven on lowest setting and cracked open about an inch should be fine. Just keep an eye on 'em. Slicing them makes things go quicker.

Id heat up to 200F then let it cool off(thx pam) and have been doing that repeatidly and damn they dry fast and no pepper gas...think ill sell the dehydrator lol.On my third batch 2 trays per batch
have to add..holy crap I had a hab plant I forgot about at my neighbors...she called me saying I had ripe peppers on it so I went over tonight...its still green!!! I very carefully dug it up and re-potted it....im back in buisness!!! wooohooo

DevilDuck said:
... oven on lowest setting and cracked open about an inch should be fine. Just keep an eye on 'em. Slicing them makes things go quicker.

this is the best way in the oven that I have found

depends

I don't have a clue what I'm doing but I do try to dry the peppers in the oven when the batches are so big I cannot air dry them or when I get too many peppers with thick skins...so I cannot eat them all in time.

My thinking was that the lowest temp is a little too high so I turn it to low, turn off, and insert peppers.

Works fine, if you have some with thicker skins you may want to repeat. But I would not keep it on. Just me.

Be careful out there.

DevilDuck said:
That's what I've done with all of them. The only one I've named myself is "Barracuda Breath".

But seriously, oven on lowest setting and cracked open about an inch should be fine. Just keep an eye on 'em. Slicing them makes things go quicker.

I just did this myself a few days ago.... lowest temp on my oven was 175F I opened the door as though I was broiling and left it for a good 4-5 hours

DevilDuck said:

That's how I'm going to make some jerky soon too I hope.:D

once the oven is hot its not bad and considering its fall its getting pretty chili( :) ) the kitchen is warm or do it in your gas/charcoal grill lowest setting one burner on low and everything to the opposite side or a couple of coals let it almost die and throw a couple of briquettes on.

On top of the hot water heater (?)

If you have a gas oven with a pilot light it will provide enough heat for drying. No need to leave the door open.

Back