• Start a personal food blog, or, start a community food thread for all.

Oven Ribs & Kimchee

While I am not going to be able to post finished products of these together, I am making both this weekend. The ribs are a way for me to say thank you to Katrina for sending me her awesome fermented sauces, and Joyner for some samples of his terrific smoked powders, and coffee rub. Here's some pics of the ribs.

100_1283.JPG

100_1295.JPG

100_1285.JPG

100_1286.JPG

100_1288.JPG

If you look closely you may be able to see the smoke ring caused by the Cherry Smoked Powder in the rub.

Ok now on to the Kimchee. I am brining the cabbage in salt and water. While that is happening I made a chile paste with a mix of small red chiles that I reconstituted, pickled red jalapenos, a head of garlic, some salt, and some cane sugar. It ends up tasting a bit like Sriracha. This is going to be mixed in with the cabbage later.

100_1282.JPG

100_1293.JPG

100_1294.JPG

More to come later when it is time to mix everything together.

Damn j, home run!
You managed grill marks and smoke rings in the oven!
I gotta get some of that smoke rub! Looks like it worked!

That's interesting... Are you using pickled peppers rather than fermenting the cabbage? It probably tastes OK, but the results look more like cabbage marinated in pickled pepper salsa than kimchi, but hey, I'd try some...

The ribs do look killer though!

Looks great brother. But how can we see the smoke ring without them cut open?

I WANNA SEE THOSE RIBS CUT UP!!!!!

That's interesting... Are you using pickled peppers rather than fermenting the cabbage? It probably tastes OK, but the results look more like cabbage marinated in pickled pepper salsa than kimchi, but hey, I'd try some...

The ribs do look killer though!

No no no, I am brining the cabbage, then I will be draining the water mixing in that paste, fish sauce, scallions, radish, etc and then fermenting for three or four days. I just used the pickled peppers in the paste.

more pics to come.

No no no, I am brining the cabbage, then I will be draining the water mixing in that paste, fish sauce, scallions, radish, etc and then fermenting for three or four days. I just used the pickled peppers in the paste.

more pics to come.
Oh, sorry... Guess I missed that on the first time reading through. I wish you lived closer so we could swap and try each others kimchi. I use a more traditional method but I bet yours tastes just fine.

I was going to make the traditional one where you rub the chile paste on each leaf, but I am home alone with my 3mth old baby and don't want to burn him. I will just mix it all together, it should be fine after it ferments.

Back for when I used to eat ribs those look pretty good for OMR's (ovenmaderibs)

Teh kimchee I can't say as I've never had that was any good. Korean gal I worked with in Alaska used to make it but man did it reek. It was skunky and smelled bad. Maybe it just ain't my 'thang.

Got any shots of teh sides for teh ribbage? Man cannot live on dead cow alone dontcha' know.

That's how you know he is in TX, they only know beef ribs. :) I remember the look I got the first time I went to Rudy's thinking I was getting some pork ribs.

duh!

Dunno' how I confused cow with piggage.

Thats a sin right?

I'll say 2 Our Fathers and 3 Hail Mary's.

Mmmmmm mac and scheeze with pickled 'peno's.

Come on back and talk teh teddy bear and bring some o' dat sheeit wit chu!

That's how you know he is in TX, they only know beef ribs. :) I remember the look I got the first time I went to Rudy's thinking I was getting some pork ribs.

Bah! Rudy's.

mrs. blues likes them but she usually only gets the brisket or turkey.

I think for a chain they are okay but its very average and I mean AVERAGE bbq even on a good day.

Still beats the hell out of Dicky's BBQ.

They have turkey too,

Jive turkey.

Yeah Ruby's is OK, as is Stubbs and other places. I lived in Austin for about 5 years and some of the best was from the guys on the side of the road without a store front. I guess the Salt Lick also falls into an OK at best place.

After about ten hours in the brine, I drained the cabbage, added a healthy does of fish sauce, ginger, and the chile paste, daikon radish, and green onion.

100_1296.JPG

100_1297.JPG

100_1298.JPG

I am going to let this sit in these containers tonight and maybe tomorrow to get fermentation going, then transfer to quart Mason jars. I hope I am doing everything right. It smells right anyway.

MMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM MMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM!!!! Lord, don't that look Goooooooood!!!!!!! I suuuuuuuuuuure hopes dat everthing goes your way!!!!!!!!!!

YUMMY!!!!!!!!!!!

Back