• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

overwintering Overwintering in Southern California?

I'm pretty new at growing peppers and last September I ordered some Trinidad Scorpion and Douglah seeds from a member here on the board. Well, I had forgotten about them and didn't germinate them around January like I read I was supposed to, so I started them a few weeks ago. Both strain seedlings germinated fine and have a couple sets of true leaves now, but I'm worried my late start is going to mean small plants through spring and summer. So that got me thinking about overwintering.

Is overwintering neccesary in Southern California? I'm in the city of Westminster, in Orange County. I believe this is USDA zone 9B.

Will the plants be fine if I just leave them out during the winter, watering them occasionally, or should I really overwinter them somewhere in the house?

Thanks!

I'm not too far from you down in newport and I trim back my plants and just leave them on the patio and they have been fine the last couple of years. Just checkout the over wintering guide sticky and you shouldn't have any problems.

Welcome to the forum btw.

I am near you in Placentia, and tried overwintering for the first time last year. I overwintered my plants outside in pots in a covered location. Some of the young ones died. I have also had a plant uncovered, unpruned, and in the ground survive just fine.

I'm not too far from you down in newport and I trim back my plants and just leave them on the patio and they have been fine the last couple of years. Just checkout the over wintering guide sticky and you shouldn't have any problems.

Welcome to the forum btw.

I am near you in Placentia, and tried overwintering for the first time last year. I overwintered my plants outside in pots in a covered location. Some of the young ones died. I have also had a plant uncovered, unpruned, and in the ground survive just fine.

Thanks for the welcome and information guys.

It sounds like the plants will probably be fine, which I'm glad for :) I've got WAAY more room outside than I do inside since my backyard is over twice as big as our house. Heh.

I think they should be fine. Im actually also in Westminster and didn't have any real problems. I lost 3 plants this past winter, but my other plants made it fine ... a little beat up, but they are good. That's why its good to always have a good seed collection in reserve.. That way if you lose one, it just a new opportunity to grow a new one.:D

there are other people that read these posts

some are already jealous

please stop telling them all of our overwintering "problems"

Picture086-1.jpg

these things feed and reproduce all year here the more i kill the more i find

good growing

:tear:

there are other people that read these posts

some are already jealous

please stop telling them all of our overwintering "problems"

Picture086-1.jpg

these things feed and reproduce all year here the more i kill the more i find

good growing

:tear:

If their munching on your plants, you could try making a ring of salt around each of the plants. Snails and slugs arn't too fond of salt. Not good for the skin, I hear.

i put salt on the bottom under the pot... i plant in containers...

i live a little bit up north from you... all my plants winter well... just prune heavy...

Back