• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

overwintering Overwintering?

Hi all
Wanting to try to overwinter my plants, well, over the winter. The temps in Auckland here are a 46-48oF or 8-9oC mid-winter minimum and go to about 58-60oF or 15oC during the day. Will I need to bring them inside?
What do I need to do in order to do this?
Checklist would be sweet :D
Cheers
Adam

As long as it does not freeze, chili plants will survive. They may loose leaves and look like heck, but they will live. I would be tempted to put up a greenhouse if I had winters like that, and have at least some chilies all year long.

If your temps never go below 46F, there will be some plants that continue to fruit year-round, is my guess. Mine slow but continue in those conditions in the fall/early winter. Some plants stop. My manzano, chile de arbol, and onza roja and (I believe) my criolla sella kept on ticking in those temps. Daytime temps for me were probably slightly higher, though.

Either way, that's a super easy overwinter. I wouldn't even trim back much (maybe a little to bush them out for next spring).

Hi all
Wanting to try to overwinter my plants, well, over the winter. The temps in Auckland here are a 46-48oF or 8-9oC mid-winter minimum and go to about 58-60oF or 15oC during the day. Will I need to bring them inside?
What do I need to do in order to do this?
Checklist would be sweet :D
Cheers
Adam

I stop the fertilizing over the winter but make sure I water occasionally. I've lost nice plants during the winter because I neglected watering...

like mentioned above, if it doesn't freeze, the plants will continue to grow...

what is your low temp in the wintertime?

LOL, you live all the way down there by the pole, and all it gets down to is 46-48 degrees Fahrenheit? Damn, I would've never guessed that. But yeah, if those are the absolute minimums you ever get, and even in extreme cases it never gets much worse than that... I'm not sure there would even be a point in wasting the effort trying to "overwinter" them, they'll probably get by on their own. Heh, I wish the weather up here didn't dip to freezing and far below it here... it's such a PITA.

Also, Adam, I guess the direct answer to your question was addressed best by UZ. Don't mess with them. They *should* be fine.

Well, I've got the answer, but after watching your video, its prolly wrong since I bean a knuckle-head 'mericun. Mebbe the Aussies will bail you out.... :cool:

Well, I've got the answer, but after watching your video, its prolly wrong since I bean a knuckle-head 'mericun. Mebbe the Aussies will bail you out.... :cool:
Lol, FFS. It was just supposed to be a joke, knucklehead :P I hope I didn't offend anyone!

No offense taken, actually it pretty funny. We have our fair share of knuckleheads. I met a few in your land as well travelling about.

In regards to the chiles, are you bringing the bad boys in from the ground or already in containers? Is your goal to continue producing pods thru the 'winter' or just keep them ready for next season prime time? Also, have you looked at the "Bonsai" thread--you might want to bring one or two inside in that fashion. Otherwise--keep them outdoors, on a sunny patio or such... :cool:

No offense taken, actually it pretty funny. We have our fair share of knuckleheads. I met a few in your land as well travelling about.

In regards to the chiles, are you bringing the bad boys in from the ground or already in containers? Is your goal to continue producing pods thru the 'winter' or just keep them ready for next season prime time? Also, have you looked at the "Bonsai" thread--you might want to bring one or two inside in that fashion. Otherwise--keep them outdoors, on a sunny patio or such... :cool:
Ha, yeah. There are definitely some idiots over here too. We tend to call them bogans, though.
Pods through the winter would be sweeetttttt. I'm actually going away for a few years in June but I want my parents to keep them alive for me so I can have some beautiful scorps when I get back, ha!
They're in containers :)

...I'm actually going away for a few years in June but I want my parents to keep them alive for me so I can have some beautiful scorps when I get back...!
They're in containers :)
Well, 'several years' is a bit more than just 'overwintering' dontcha think?

If you are serious, I'd repot them in May in your best fresh growing medium, after cutting them back severely, both stems and roots. Place them where they will get some sun and don't allow to freeze. (Yea, you said it never freezes there.) Then have Mum / Dad water couple times a month until about August. Then have them join this forum for what to do next! Good luck!

Hi guys and ladies

I'm trying to overwinter my 10 plants and need advice with fertilizing.
I cutted all 10 plants on 1/3 of previous high. They look like connected bones. :)
Question is:
How to fertilize them, how often and when to start since we are in the middle of december.
Now they are indoor (tempr. around 10 'C) and at the begining of March they can go out.
I'm thinking to get and use BioBizz fertilizer.
12112011900.jpg

Moomeen,

Do you have them under grow lights? If not, you want to retard growth and not fertilize them at all. The idea is for them to grow very slowly so that they may have some growth at the end of winter, but not so much that they get unduly leggy, unhealthy or attract bad critters.

Just my personal experiences. Others may differ in their approach.

Hi Eephus Man

thanks a lot for your opinion.
I don't have tem under grow lights, light on the image is just photo flash. :halo:
So I can start with fertilizing the at the end of February, beginning of March?

Hi Eephus Man

thanks a lot for your opinion.
I don't have tem under grow lights, light on the image is just photo flash. :halo:
So I can start with fertilizing the at the end of February, beginning of March?

You can start now, either with a diluted solution of Fish Emulsion in a spray bottle, foliar fead, or since your root system is starting to develope you can use a "Kelp" product to encourage root and plant developement .Most liquid fertilizer, nitro- enriched, that encludes BioBizz products will also work fine.. Whatever you use treat your cutback as a young plant and feed it sparsely. You do need a light source. At least a strong a south facing window with no obstructions. As far as the plant growing leggy, that's the result from insufficent lighting. There's always a way around that. Keep pinching back new the new growth slightly if it starts to get out of hand. The key to indoor plants in the winter is to keep the soil on the dry side. You'll know when to water them, if they start to show signs of leave wilt.

Your plant looks like its off to a good start. Good luck with it and keep us posted.......with photos!

Greg

Hi PIC 1 and Eephus Man

I don't wanna offend no one but as far I as understand E.M. suggest not to fertilize, PIC 1 sugget to fertilize.
So question is beginners like me is what to choose. :cool:

Once again:
I have 10 plants in my place which look like connected bones (no leafs), tempature is around 10 'C, daily light, little of sunshine
and I have also 4 plants (one of them is little bit higher): 3 are cut, 1 is normale without touching. tempr. is arround 15-18' C. south side sun.

Once again thanks for your opinion, specially E.M. and PIC 1. :cool:

Back