• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

OXY Bucket Drip System Usage

To each their own.

Chlorines and fluorines I keep away from.

Personal preference.

show me where plants exposed to even the nastiest of halogenated organic compounds can transfer some sort of harm to those that consume these plants.

Ever hear of "Agent Orange"?

Gotrox said:
To each their own.

Chlorines and fluorines I keep away from.

Personal preference.

Ever hear of "Agent Orange"?

yea. my ochem 2 teacher was an old dow, and then igloo employe. 
]
whats your point though?

agent orange was a dioxin related blunder, not one of disinfection by products? dont understand.

personal preference is FINE.

just dont try to couch that in science.  hypochlorous acid will always be the better disinfection chemical. if you do not like chlorine, thats fine, what ever.

lemming said:
Oh gosh, now I have decisions to make if and when the time comes. Happy new year to you all though!

you can use either... or both i suppose with success.

bleach will be cheaper, and more effective in almost all systems owing to residual values. 

bleach is fantastic because you can measure the levels of free chlorine left in solution to a very good degree of accuracy with the simple pool test kits.

where h202 works better is in biofilm issues. its a much stronger oxidant, so it can attack and kill and break down biofilms where chlorine bleach disinfection will likely fail.

I hear people say that you should avoid tap water in hydroponics due to the chlorine it contains. I would have thought it would be beneficial in this case?

Or is that a different type of chlorine? I live in a hard water area of the UK.

people say alot of stupid shit with respect to hydroponics.

you dont have to remove chlorine what so ever from tap water.

if you want to, and it makes you feel better to do so, thats entirely a different matter.

i maintained a pool for my entire childhood. in the summers we ran it up to 7-10ppm free chlorine and 100 ish CYA, and the splash out?( the water literally splashed out of the pool)

the plants LOVE the splash out... the grass immediately around the pool deck is noticeably taller and greener, though owing to a lack of proper watering on my part, not due to any inherit health benefits to pool water.

mind you 7-10 ppm free chlorine is an order of magnitude higher than that levels you would ever see in a residential water distribution system.

i worked for many years at an engineering firm designing, among other things, small private water systems. 

i wont get into the chloramine deal because it does not matter. but if you live in a semi decent sized city, you will have pretty large water plants, and your municipality likely uses chlorine dioxide disinfection owing to low costs.

if you have very hard water(the hills of dover are chaulk right?) , you will likely run into scaling issues with calcium precipitating out of your nutrient solutions as calcium carbonate.

have you mixed a test batch of nutrient solution, to the desired concentration?

Great information on this forum!

I have already been running the hydro with 'Dutch Pro - 2 Part Grow' nutes. Seems ok so far!

On a side note I have always had bad problems with Edema growing indoors and wonder if it's anything to do with the hard water minerals? I don't over water, plenty of air flow and I've used Cal Mag to try and combat the issue. Nearly all my plants suffer from it.

Back