• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

P. Dreadie Memorial Group Grow 2016

Long-time THP veterans mourned the loss last August of Amarillo, Texas musician/songwriter/silversmith/chilehead Erin Mason, known to us here on the boards as P. Dreadie. Erin was an enigma, one of the most interesting and creative, yet gentle and loving guys I ever knew. Many of us may be unaware that he played harmonica in one of the original Austin, Texas bands of the early 1970s "Cosmic Cowboy" era, Alvin Crow and the Pleasant Valley Boys. When Erin decided to step off of Alvin's perpetually-touring bus and return to Amarillo, he travelled to Jamaica, fell in love with the Reggae beat, collected the best Scotch Bonnet fruit he could find, and his alter-ego Papa Dreadie was born.

In 2013 Erin sent me a few pods of the Scotch Bonnets he had been breeding, carefully selected descendants of the original fruit he brought back from the Caribbean all those years ago. I harvested every single seed from those pods, and stored them away, as I focused increasing attention on other varieties. When his wife Liz gave us the news last August that Erin had passed, I knew what I had to do with those seeds: a community grow in his memory. I have already shared about half of them, and I will continue to share them with experienced growers of the Scotch Bonnet until they are gone.

Papa Dreadie Scotch Bonnet Select, grown by Erin in 2013:

erin_bonnets003.jpg

erin_bonnets031.jpg

Lifetime memories posted by Liz Mason on Erin's FB page. Liz is an extremely talented professional photographer:

11902277_840930452672850_1547488734913475330_n.jpg

The legendary bus:

538_Alvins_old_bus_1.jpg
1644785432596.png

Trident chilli said:
Jase now that is an impressive pod, great colour and a good tail. I am interested to know how many more pods like the one shown you have on your plant. Percentage wise I only had about 10% that I would have classed as a true "select strain" but I imagine the temperature in Western Australia is far greater than I could achieve in the UK and your percentage would be a lot higher
Haha well actually it's the ONLY pod that looks like that lol. All the other pods look like large habs with small spikes. The flavour of this variety is awesome though and for sauce making that my main concern :) unfortunately it hasn't produced as much as MoA but definitely tastes better to me. And nice big pods.

I finally have a contribution to make to this fine thread! I have a few plants on the go right now and will have to decide which ones to keep and which ones to give away to other chili loving friends. A few progress pics of my plants. I'm growing in coco using a variety of General Hydroponics Flora series and a 180w LED light.

I have a few more, but tapatalk is acting up and is only allowing 3 pics :/
60d0c0edd03c993b9990134f16672cb6.jpg
9e18d9f4ccf1dccecade127ecc17ed11.jpg
5da539d89f83a3006ea1045bc16231d6.jpg

Sent from my SM-G900W8 using Tapatalk

Getting a drink. This guy in the south window is really starting to spread out.
I still have a 2nd in the basement in a solo cup that is huge but I ran out of soil for now.
I love these plants. The growth habit on both is great. The leaves are robust. Lots of nodes on the trunk.
C41pofV.jpg

Malarky said:
Getting a drink. This guy in the south window is really starting to spread out.
I still have a 2nd in the basement in a solo cup that is huge but I ran out of soil for now.
I love these plants. The growth habit on both is great. The leaves are robust. Lots of nodes on the trunk.

Stunning plant and with a nice fork already, you should be proud , you have a real beauty .

Thanks so much everyone for keeping this thread going, and especially for keeping Erin's wonderful pepper going!!! I believe the Papa Dreadie is now my favorite C. chinense variety, and this year I've dedicated my entire 12-plant "pilot bed" to it. I'm a few weeks behind most of you guys, but my Dreadies are coming right along, and will be moving into my shade tent for hardening up in the next few days:

dreadie_2017_04_19.jpg

windchicken said:
Thanks so much everyone for keeping this thread going, and especially for keeping Erin's wonderful pepper going!!! I believe the Papa Dreadie now my favorite C. chinense variety, and this year I've dedicated my entire 12-plant "pilot bed" to it. I'm a few week behind most of you guys, but my Dreadies are coming right along, and will be moving into my shade tent for hardening up in the next few days:

dreadie_2017_04_19.jpg

If anyone's a few weeks behind, here I is...These guys were very waif-ish starting out, but never ill.

18033073_283188122130480_2799623273200480455_n.jpg

It is amazing how lush these plants get, even at a young age!

stettoman said:
If anyone's a few weeks behind, here I is...These guys were very waif-ish starting out, but never ill.

18033073_283188122130480_2799623273200480455_n.jpg

It is amazing how lush these plants get, even at a young age!
They do seem to grow more sideways than upwards for the first several weeks. That's why mine are still under the lights...They are so wide that they won't fit inside my 2-gal nursery containers yet...

Thanks for growing Papa Dreadie! Your plants look really healthy and robust!

Gary

Last season my grand daughter's awesome garden crew helped me make Jamaican Jerk marinade with the insanely huge Papa Dreadie crop I got from a mere 5 plants. It's interesting to note that so late in the season (December 19)  there were very few of the classic "cup and saucer" pods, where in the summertime the plants were setting probably 85% pods of that ideal Scotch Bonnet shape. I thought these photos came out real well, and that there would be no more appropriate place to share them than here...

This shot shows, I believe, all the ingredients I normally use in my jerk rub. Pulverized in the black/red bowl are whole Jamaican Pimento (a.k.a. Allspice), whole black peppercorns, fresh French thyme (from my garden), and Kosher salt. Then in the other bowls are fresh limes, scallions, fresh ginger, fresh garlic, more French thyme, and the star of the show, Papa Dreadie Scotch Bonnet Select:

IMG_7045.jpg

"Arty" shot of the limes and the thyme:

IMG_7042.jpg

Cutting the Scotch Bonnets to assure wholesomeness, and tossing them in the Cuisinart. We went a long time with no accidents before Morgan cut her finger:

IMG_7083.jpg

Another "arty" shot, inside the Cuisinart:

IMG_7085.jpg

The jerk crew. Mesmerizing video to follow:

IMG_7066.jpg

Back