• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

P. Dreadie Memorial Group Grow 2016

Long-time THP veterans mourned the loss last August of Amarillo, Texas musician/songwriter/silversmith/chilehead Erin Mason, known to us here on the boards as P. Dreadie. Erin was an enigma, one of the most interesting and creative, yet gentle and loving guys I ever knew. Many of us may be unaware that he played harmonica in one of the original Austin, Texas bands of the early 1970s "Cosmic Cowboy" era, Alvin Crow and the Pleasant Valley Boys. When Erin decided to step off of Alvin's perpetually-touring bus and return to Amarillo, he travelled to Jamaica, fell in love with the Reggae beat, collected the best Scotch Bonnet fruit he could find, and his alter-ego Papa Dreadie was born.

In 2013 Erin sent me a few pods of the Scotch Bonnets he had been breeding, carefully selected descendants of the original fruit he brought back from the Caribbean all those years ago. I harvested every single seed from those pods, and stored them away, as I focused increasing attention on other varieties. When his wife Liz gave us the news last August that Erin had passed, I knew what I had to do with those seeds: a community grow in his memory. I have already shared about half of them, and I will continue to share them with experienced growers of the Scotch Bonnet until they are gone.

Papa Dreadie Scotch Bonnet Select, grown by Erin in 2013:

erin_bonnets003.jpg

erin_bonnets031.jpg

Lifetime memories posted by Liz Mason on Erin's FB page. Liz is an extremely talented professional photographer:

11902277_840930452672850_1547488734913475330_n.jpg

The legendary bus:

538_Alvins_old_bus_1.jpg
1644785432596.png

I had a couple of guys offer seeds last season. Not sure what happened. Good luck to everyone on this year's grow. I will be living vicariously through you! [emoji6]

I've been awol from this thread awhile, but trying to get caught up. I was fortunate to receive 4 seeds from Gary back in spring of '16. All four germinated.

On the very first day I moved them outside, something ate one of them. I gave one to a musician friend. A deer ate it (along with most of the rest of his garden.) I kept the other two in small pots through all of 2016. Over-wintered them successfully, then up-potted them to somewhat larger pots for 2017. They were slow to bloom, but at least one had eight or so unripe pods at the end of the season last year. Brought them in for a second over-winter and at least the one with the pods has survived and ripened its pods. I thought I had the two plants side by side under lights, but poking around the other day I discovered the second plant is a Bahamian Goat. Hopefully the missing PDSB is in the other room.

Anyway, the point of all this is that I just today harvested the seeds from the PDSB pods and have about 100-200 seeds available if anyone wants some. As best as I could tell from dried pods at least a couple of them had the preferred shape.

I have plenty of envelopes and bubble wrap but do ask that you cover the postage. PM me if interested.

Oh, Scott, I also have ten PD seedlings from the seeds you sent me. I'd like to keep at least a couple, but offer the rest to the forum for the price of postage for a SFRB.

Somehow I got a double post. Don't know how to delete the duplicate so am editing it down to this.

Sawyer said:
Oh, Scott, I also have ten PD seedlings from the seeds you sent me. I'd like to keep at least a couple, but offer the rest to the forum for the price of postage for a SFRB.

Carrying on the spirit!!!
Outstandingly generous of you!!!

Thought some might be interested in a close-up of the recently harvested seeds.
2chp81z.jpg

I'll plant some later today to verify viability.  Also going to move the OW outside today and will take a picture of it then.  A quick question, what is the best way to refer to these seeds, generationally speaking?  They are from a plant grown from the original seed Gary distributed in 2016.

I would Just like to thank Sawyer for sending me some of these seeds! I just got them in the mail today and and am So excited to put them in dirt! Thank you again my friend, I hope to be able to pass it forward with seeds of my own in the near future! Ill keep ya'll updated as the grow go's down!
oeE62Xa.jpg

Rainy day lighting really helps me get a accurate color and shine. My best one though looks like its going to be a beast of a plant. Its catching upto the MWCH MOA reds very fast. I could probably up the nitrogen now to CNS17 full strength but ive been holding off so i can use some 5-1-1 fish emulsion instead.

I may be able to get plants into fabric pots this Saturday. 3 MOA reds, at least 2 Dreadies and 4 Aleppos. Chance of frost now is super low but Sunday night will get into the lower 50s. Thats a bit cooler than i want.

I really love how unique the plants seem with their leaves. I'd post a photo of my plant but it's dealing with the effects of some slight sun scald from an inexperienced grower at the moment.

Everyone's plants look great!

Back