• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

P. Dreadie Memorial Group Grow 2016

Long-time THP veterans mourned the loss last August of Amarillo, Texas musician/songwriter/silversmith/chilehead Erin Mason, known to us here on the boards as P. Dreadie. Erin was an enigma, one of the most interesting and creative, yet gentle and loving guys I ever knew. Many of us may be unaware that he played harmonica in one of the original Austin, Texas bands of the early 1970s "Cosmic Cowboy" era, Alvin Crow and the Pleasant Valley Boys. When Erin decided to step off of Alvin's perpetually-touring bus and return to Amarillo, he travelled to Jamaica, fell in love with the Reggae beat, collected the best Scotch Bonnet fruit he could find, and his alter-ego Papa Dreadie was born.

In 2013 Erin sent me a few pods of the Scotch Bonnets he had been breeding, carefully selected descendants of the original fruit he brought back from the Caribbean all those years ago. I harvested every single seed from those pods, and stored them away, as I focused increasing attention on other varieties. When his wife Liz gave us the news last August that Erin had passed, I knew what I had to do with those seeds: a community grow in his memory. I have already shared about half of them, and I will continue to share them with experienced growers of the Scotch Bonnet until they are gone.

Papa Dreadie Scotch Bonnet Select, grown by Erin in 2013:

erin_bonnets003.jpg

erin_bonnets031.jpg

Lifetime memories posted by Liz Mason on Erin's FB page. Liz is an extremely talented professional photographer:

11902277_840930452672850_1547488734913475330_n.jpg

The legendary bus:

538_Alvins_old_bus_1.jpg
1644785432596.png

Trident chilli said:
Looking good Michael .... wishing you all the best with this variety ... from a purely selfish point of view I hope this variety never ends up getting crossed ( I am a follower of your crossing glog ) however sometimes varieties need to remain pure
these won't get crossed and i will isolate them for the future of the seed stock.  
Just planted the 4 seeds i got from Gary wish me luck on germination!

Very cool Gary! I will have to check and see what I have in my seed stock when I get back to the states...hope I have some to grow out. If not...put me on the list for some seeds next year. Please keep us posted with some pics of everyone's plants/pods, I will be watching!

KiNGDeNNiZ said:
Got my seeds and are in soil...

Sounds good, KD!

Plantguy76 said:
I got my seeds today and got some Coco Coir starter mix by burpee an put in perlite as well

Nice setup, Jason!

jedisushi06 said:
got mine yesterday i'll be planting them this weekend.  thanks again gary!

You bet, Mike!

D3monic said:

Looking good, Michael!

Hybrid Mode 01 said:
     I was so happy to see hooks in these plugs tonight! 
IMG_0584_zps8g4htpy5.jpg

I started three seeds, one each in a coir plug. Judging by how healthy the seeds looked, the other two won't be far behind!  :D

That's a beautiful site, Carlton!

stc3248 said:
Very cool Gary! I will have to check and see what I have in my seed stock when I get back to the states...hope I have some to grow out. If not...put me on the list for some seeds next year. Please keep us posted with some pics of everyone's plants/pods, I will be watching!

Thanks Shane! Wish you were here to lend your considerable mad growing skillz to this project! It looks like there will be plenty of high-grade isolated seeds for you to sow next season...

By the way, I've been enjoying your sailing pix on FB... :P

Gary, maybe you can help me on this one... I got P.Dreadie SB seeds in the Chris Phillips auction, from cappy. Mine were just labeled "SB P. Dreadie". Do you think there might be a difference between what I'm growing and the "selects" that other folks are talking about?

Hybrid Mode 01 said:
     Gary, maybe you can help me on this one... I got P.Dreadie SB seeds in the Chris Phillips auction, from cappy. Mine were just labeled "SB P. Dreadie". Do you think there might be a difference between what I'm growing and the "selects" that other folks are talking about?

That's a good question, Carlton, and I really don't know the answer. All we can do is grow them out and see. The original seeds from the "Select" fruit Erin sent me back in 2013 have all been sown now...

windchicken said:

That's a good question, Carlton, and I really don't know the answer. All we can do is grow them out and see. The original seeds from the "Select" fruit Erin sent me back in 2013 have all been sown now...

Hmmm. Maybe mine are the offspring of cappy's plants which he grew from selected seed. I'm curious to see what differences there are between the two. 

edit: I'm wondering because if I have good luck with what I've already planted, I might have four non-select seeds to offer to someone who is interested in joining the grow but doesn't mind growing the non-select variation.

Got my P. Dreadie Yellow Scotch Bonnets in the soil. I obtained the seeds in 2012 from a member and saved seed in 2013. I marked them as "good" - which means they came from particularly good pods. I hope they germinate! I found some SB Large Red CARDI next to the P. Dreadies and put a few of them in too. Lots of Bonnets this year.

Hybrid Mode 01 said:
Carlton in correspondence with Erin last year there are definitely two strains of his seed ... I have called his normal variation "standard" and kept "select" as his best or culled seed

Hope this helps .... I showed Erin a picture of one of his pods

Sent 19 April 2015 - 09:53 PM
People I don't know have ended up with my seeds. As you know many people collect seeds . Many times they never grow them. That looks like a SB . A nice example when I saw the bottom. But it doesn't look like a select. With a better season it might look different. Looks like it could be some others I've grown. The center one at the top. If it was labeled Select then it well may be.

DSCF2901.jpg
These days Broccoli doesn't taste so bad ,
Neither does swallowing my pride ....

Hmm what to do. I'd like to keep all three in case I drop/crush/squish one. What's the best way to separate at this stage? I really didn't think they'd all live.
20160204_153128-1_zpscdfmp9ik.jpg

Back