• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

P. Dreadie Memorial Group Grow 2016

Long-time THP veterans mourned the loss last August of Amarillo, Texas musician/songwriter/silversmith/chilehead Erin Mason, known to us here on the boards as P. Dreadie. Erin was an enigma, one of the most interesting and creative, yet gentle and loving guys I ever knew. Many of us may be unaware that he played harmonica in one of the original Austin, Texas bands of the early 1970s "Cosmic Cowboy" era, Alvin Crow and the Pleasant Valley Boys. When Erin decided to step off of Alvin's perpetually-touring bus and return to Amarillo, he travelled to Jamaica, fell in love with the Reggae beat, collected the best Scotch Bonnet fruit he could find, and his alter-ego Papa Dreadie was born.

In 2013 Erin sent me a few pods of the Scotch Bonnets he had been breeding, carefully selected descendants of the original fruit he brought back from the Caribbean all those years ago. I harvested every single seed from those pods, and stored them away, as I focused increasing attention on other varieties. When his wife Liz gave us the news last August that Erin had passed, I knew what I had to do with those seeds: a community grow in his memory. I have already shared about half of them, and I will continue to share them with experienced growers of the Scotch Bonnet until they are gone.

Papa Dreadie Scotch Bonnet Select, grown by Erin in 2013:

erin_bonnets003.jpg

erin_bonnets031.jpg

Lifetime memories posted by Liz Mason on Erin's FB page. Liz is an extremely talented professional photographer:

11902277_840930452672850_1547488734913475330_n.jpg

The legendary bus:

538_Alvins_old_bus_1.jpg
1644785432596.png

AndyW said:
I really love how unique the plants seem with their leaves. I'd post a photo of my plant but it's dealing with the effects of some slight sun scald from an inexperienced grower at the moment.

Everyone's plants look great!
Sun scald. I do that every year. I start the plants early. They're growing great. Nice and green. I put them out in the sun for a bit to harden them off. Repeat for a few days. Then a scorcher comes along and burns the bejesus out of them [emoji19].

My growers pride is hurt way more than the plant is.

Sent from my SM-G950W using Tapatalk

Thanks Malarky! I'm hoping for a better year. I figure that if the weather holds up I should get two solid harvests before the frosts come. Mid-September is about the end of the growing season for me. We're only mid-may now so the roots should fill the pot come June then start pushing the pods.

Are these P. Dreadie pods?
I bought the seeds from a forum member, however something might have gone wrong here... They look weird and are less spicy than a Jalapeno. They do have a Chinese flavour. I tasted 4 pods, they all were seedless, might be an issue as well...

Attachments

• IMG_20180524_144008052.jpg
    IMG_20180524_144008052.jpg
    84.7 KB · Views: 57
SORRY you had to buy some! we send these out all over for FREE.
those look small? can you post a pic with a size reference. 
the dreadies should be as hot as any other scotchbonnet/hab 
those kindof have the look of runt pods though?
whats your grow situation? container size? medium? lights? nutes?

Here is a pic of 2pods with a size reference. I grow them in a self-made ebb and flow system, lights are 3 COBs. Nutrition is MaxiGro / MaxiBloom. The plants itself look beautiful.

Attachments

• 15273414936621742652642.jpg
    15273414936621742652642.jpg
    54.5 KB · Views: 58
Cadis said:
Here is a pic of 2pods with a size reference. I grow them in a self-made ebb and flow system, lights are 3 COBs. Nutrition is MaxiGro / MaxiBloom. The plants itself look beautiful.
Those pods aren't looking quite right for P. Dreadies, unfortunately. Here are a few pics of sone P. Dreadie scotch bonnets I grew last season for reference.

Thanks again for those seeds, Malarky

Attachments

• 20180527_013340.jpg
    20180527_013340.jpg
    57.5 KB · Views: 52
  • 20180527_013406.jpg
    20180527_013406.jpg
    58.6 KB · Views: 47
Thegreenchilemonster said:
Those pods aren't looking quite right for P. Dreadies, unfortunately. Here are a few pics of sone P. Dreadie scotch bonnets I grew last season for reference.

Thanks again for those seeds, Malarky
I was thinking maybe they're small and off pheno because they're from an indoor grow. Could also definitely be a cross but I'm no expert.

Back