• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

P. Dreadie Memorial Group Grow 2016

Long-time THP veterans mourned the loss last August of Amarillo, Texas musician/songwriter/silversmith/chilehead Erin Mason, known to us here on the boards as P. Dreadie. Erin was an enigma, one of the most interesting and creative, yet gentle and loving guys I ever knew. Many of us may be unaware that he played harmonica in one of the original Austin, Texas bands of the early 1970s "Cosmic Cowboy" era, Alvin Crow and the Pleasant Valley Boys. When Erin decided to step off of Alvin's perpetually-touring bus and return to Amarillo, he travelled to Jamaica, fell in love with the Reggae beat, collected the best Scotch Bonnet fruit he could find, and his alter-ego Papa Dreadie was born.

In 2013 Erin sent me a few pods of the Scotch Bonnets he had been breeding, carefully selected descendants of the original fruit he brought back from the Caribbean all those years ago. I harvested every single seed from those pods, and stored them away, as I focused increasing attention on other varieties. When his wife Liz gave us the news last August that Erin had passed, I knew what I had to do with those seeds: a community grow in his memory. I have already shared about half of them, and I will continue to share them with experienced growers of the Scotch Bonnet until they are gone.

Papa Dreadie Scotch Bonnet Select, grown by Erin in 2013:

erin_bonnets003.jpg

erin_bonnets031.jpg

Lifetime memories posted by Liz Mason on Erin's FB page. Liz is an extremely talented professional photographer:

11902277_840930452672850_1547488734913475330_n.jpg

The legendary bus:

538_Alvins_old_bus_1.jpg
1644785432596.png

Sadly, this wet, rollercoaster summer is presenting me with a 50/50 mix of my PDreadies.

20190923_160115.jpg

I'll know better to bring them in during conditions of extreme swampiness from now on.

None of my other peppers have seemed quite as susceptible.

Hi all,

I've read many great things about the P. Dreadie and would love to grow it this year.  Would anyone here have any seeds they would be willing to sell me?  

This thread didn't see much activity in 2020, so hopefully to give it a boost, I've set aside ten non-machinable stamps for sending free P. Dreadie seeds to the first ten qualified individuals to request them. 

To qualify, your THP membership should pre-date this posting and you should have posted enough content to indicate a real interest in growing peppers.  I've read the sticky on newbie scammers and am willing to take some risk to encourage the legitimate newbies out there.  Long-timers aren't excluded, though.

Following on that, if we've ever had any interaction here on THP, and you want some P. Dreadie seeds, let me know.  We can make arrangements outside of this offer.

I have two generations of seeds to choose from.  Designating as G1 the original four seeds I received from Windchicken in 2016, I have G2 seeds (produced by G1 plant) from 2018 and G3 seeds (produced by G2 plant) from 2020. 

Both G2 and G3 seeds are as isolated as practical without getting professional about it.  The 3 y.o. G1 plant was container grown in 2018 in an acquaintance's backyard with no nearby plants that I'm aware of.  It died mid-2019.  That plant produced many pods with the ideal shape.  At one point I had pictures posted in this thread, but the image host went away and since my computer was hacked, I don't have access to the originals.  (Hopefully that's temporary.)

The G2 plant is still alive, but struggling through its second winter.  I'm not sure what happened to the pods and seeds from the 2019 season, but I collected the seeds from several pods in 2020.  This was one of only two plants I had that produced anything last year and the two plants were, oddly enough, never blooming at the same time.  (The other plant is a wild tepin.)

Both batches of seeds have been refrigerated, but I haven't performed recent germination tests on them.  To make your request for up to 10 seeds each of G2 and/or G3, send a PM with your details.  I'll make an effort to get them in the mail by early next week at the latest.

Offer valid in USA only, and only while supplies (stamps and seeds) last.  Any request may be declined at my discretion.

Hey, John. I missed the first P. Dreadie grow, but
would love to get involved in it. I would take
whichever generation you can spare. If time
allows, I'd grow it this season, otherwise next.

Thanks for posting this offer. Very generous for
you to share.

Anything I have is yours, as well, my friend!

PM sent.

Sawyer said:
This thread didn't see much activity in 2020, so hopefully to give it a boost, I've set aside ten non-machinable stamps for sending free P. Dreadie seeds to the first ten qualified individuals to request them. 

To qualify, your THP membership should pre-date this posting and you should have posted enough content to indicate a real interest in growing peppers.  I've read the sticky on newbie scammers and am willing to take some risk to encourage the legitimate newbies out there.  Long-timers aren't excluded, though.

Following on that, if we've ever had any interaction here on THP, and you want some P. Dreadie seeds, let me know.  We can make arrangements outside of this offer.

I have two generations of seeds to choose from.  Designating as G1 the original four seeds I received from Windchicken in 2016, I have G2 seeds (produced by G1 plant) from 2018 and G3 seeds (produced by G2 plant) from 2020. 

Both G2 and G3 seeds are as isolated as practical without getting professional about it.  The 3 y.o. G1 plant was container grown in 2018 in an acquaintance's backyard with no nearby plants that I'm aware of.  It died mid-2019.  That plant produced many pods with the ideal shape.  At one point I had pictures posted in this thread, but the image host went away and since my computer was hacked, I don't have access to the originals.  (Hopefully that's temporary.)

The G2 plant is still alive, but struggling through its second winter.  I'm not sure what happened to the pods and seeds from the 2019 season, but I collected the seeds from several pods in 2020.  This was one of only two plants I had that produced anything last year and the two plants were, oddly enough, never blooming at the same time.  (The other plant is a wild tepin.)

Both batches of seeds have been refrigerated, but I haven't performed recent germination tests on them.  To make your request for up to 10 seeds each of G2 and/or G3, send a PM with your details.  I'll make an effort to get them in the mail by early next week at the latest.

Offer valid in USA only, and only while supplies (stamps and seeds) last.  Any request may be declined at my discretion.
That's a great offer and a great way to keep this legacy alive.

Not to take any wind out of Sawyer's sails, but I too have PDreadie seed from Windchicken's back yard: He sent me a SFRB of pods a few seasons back. I saved every seed. In a refrigerator.

I'm going to guess they were OP.

An' dey be free, mon. At least in the USofA... ;)

stettoman said:
Not to take any wind out of Sawyer's sails, but I too have PDreadie seed from Windchicken's back yard: He sent me a SFRB of pods a few seasons back. I saved every seed. In a refrigerator.

Hey Eric! Thanks so much for doing that, and thanks everyone here for your continued interest in Erin's wonderful pepper. Yes, those plants were OP, but there were 12 of them together, in a whole other area of the garden, so I'm thinking the seeds should be reliable. I would love to do a big isolated grow of the Papa Dreadie, but I am already committed for a couple of big iso grows of our beloved Louisiana varieties this year. I will be watching y'all's progress with great interest though!!!

PaulG said:
Hey, John. I missed the first P. Dreadie grow, but
would love to get involved in it. I would take
whichever generation you can spare. If time
allows, I'd grow it this season, otherwise next.

Thanks for posting this offer. Very generous for
you to share.

Anything I have is yours, as well, my friend!

PM sent.
You've got 'em, Paul.

Mr.joe said:
That's a great offer and a great way to keep this legacy alive.
Thanks, Joe, send me a PM with your details if you want some seeds.

Inoks said:
If there a way to get these to finland? Maybe not this year, but 2022.
Thanks for your interest, Risto.  I will ask about options next time I'm at the post office.

JoynersHotPeppers said:
@Sawyer, I used my last seeds in 2020, I'd love to take some! I use them for a Trinidad sauce I love to make and for my jerk cooking nights.
Sure thing, Chris, PM your details to me.

stettoman said:

No wind slacked here, Eric. The more the merrier.

Back