• Everything other than hot peppers. Questions, discussion, and grow logs. Cannabis grow pics are only allowed when posted from a legal juridstiction.

P. kondoi/reticulata

I received this Pinguicula species from CZ Plants, back in June, 2008 labeled as P. kondoi.

But it seems that the real P. kondoi, according to some experts, is not really in cultivation, and what is labeled as such is actually P. reticulata.

Either way, this is still a very nice mexi-ping. (Mexican butterwort species)

IMG_7439-1.jpg

This plant has been kept very dry over the last few months, as evidenced by the dried out moss surrounding this plant's rosette.

I started watering it again a couple of weeks ago, and gave it a taste of some tropical springtails yesterday, which should serve to further whet its appetite for more live prey. ;)

These butterworts make excellent companion plants for orchids and other household indoor plants that have a tendency to harbor fungus gnats and their grub-like larvae.

The first time i placed a butterwort next to my indoor plants, within a few days it looked like someone had taken a black pepper shaker and liberally sprinkled it over this plant's sticky gland covered leaves, such was it's effectiveness at attracting, capturing and digesting the local fungus gnat population. :cool:

dvg

Sweet, in Holopaw... Look it up. I found a few wild stands of some pitcher plants, I brought one home and planted in similar muddy conditions down by the lake , but it didn;t last long. i also got the wife a whatever it was sold at home depot, those things were always closed from eatin bugs...

where does it digest its prey?

Pings digest their prey right on the surface of their leaves.

Their leaves have sessile glands that release several different types of enzymes that dissolve and break down the digestible parts of an insect's body, leaving the exoskeleton behind.

This insect soup is then reabsorbed by the plants leaves. :cool:

dvg

Back