shipping Packaging and shipping whey (liquid) extracted from plain yogurt

One of my projects will incorporate various heats and peppers mixed into homemade cream cheese. In order to get the cream cheese, I use about a gallon of plain yogurt at a time and need to find something to do with they whey.

Rather than waste it, I'd love to offer it to other members, or even sell it locally, etc.

Are there legal issues or health issues with whey? How can it be packaged? Can it survive canning/jarring process?

I'm expecting a few gallons of whey once I am done. Since I know some people use it to make sourdough bread or boosting mashes... is it worth to even try this?

Anything dairy related is regulated at least at the state level, sometimes at the Fed level. Whether it's the cheese or the whey, it should be properly licensed to be sold.

You might find someone locally who would have some use for it, not sure what it might be though...

I'm not an expert on good bacterias etc...but it would seem to me that... the separated whey has live cultures in it. If it is heat packed/canned, the process would kill the cultures. I think the only way to keep the whey alive is to just keep it refer'd. Shelf life in a fridge for whey? prolly about the same as the original yogurt?

Totally guessing here-

Back