Pakistani Naga

I see what you guys are saying. If you google "pakistani naga" the only results are for the reaper. No other mention of the plant or seeds, etc. So basically the only time it's been mentioned is when defining the reaper.

meinchoh said:
Pakistani Naga x Habanero might just be tongue-in-cheek. Don't snipe eat Pakistani Nagas? I don't know but congrats to him anyway!
exactly 
Ed is a very cool guy 

even the story of breeding doesn't  make sense nothing against the guy himself 

The Hot Pepper said:
I see what you guys are saying. If you google "pakistani naga" the only results are for the reaper. No other mention of the plant or seeds, etc. So basically the only time it's been mentioned is when defining the reaper.
yeah, this is why I'm so curious about this pepper.  I entered this pepper world a couple years ago, and bhuts and naga morich quickly became some of my favorites.  I tend to try peppers from where my friends are from (joined the site to find seeds from Macedonian peppers), and since I lived with a Pakistani, when I read it in the reaper article, I got curious.  But it is an enigma...  No info or pictures anywhere. 

The Hot Pepper said:

which means...

where in the world it came from....

pics???

documentations...???

story...??

names of people.....???

i mean in my website if u notice i try to mention/link people as much as i can to whatever i am sharing with the public. 
this is not to increase  the validity of your input to the pepper culture. this is to provide a story line of where they came from.

it is like writing a literature review  your words must be"cited".

in farming, as as a breeder, your varieties must be documented. 

megahot

Smokin' Hot
  • Members
  • hotsauce.gif
    hotsauce.gif
    hotsauce.gif
    hotsauce.gif
  • 3,182 posts
  • 0 warning points
  • aka:theitalian556

Posted Today, 04:59 PM
All we are saying. Is how in the world to you get a Reaper from a Habanero and a Naga??? The two together just dont add up. It reminds me of breeding a barracuda with a dolphin and somehow you get a great white shark. Im not saying its not true it just doesnt make sense.

Chili head till I'm dead!!!!

• Members
  • hotsauce.gif
    hotsauce.gif
    hotsauce.gif
    hotsauce.gif
  • 1,124 posts
Posted Today, 05:05 PM
I dont know the background on the two peppers he used and the characteristics of them so can't say.

I'm not really asking about how they crossed to get the reaper, I'm just curious on what the heck a Pakistani Naga is.  I'd like to see one, know where it came from because the name is curioius, eat one, maybe grow one... but can't find anyone who know anything.

Also someone gimme an Irish Naga, I've had a rough week and its only Thursday!

Ed himself does not know the two peppers if there was two peppers...
because if he knew he would not mentioned the "sweet habanero" as a half breed in 2.2 million pepper 
it will not happen that you get naga which is not even million,-now we dont know about how hot is the Pakistani naga-. but we know you will not get more heat by mixing sweet peppers in the breed.  simple 

I wonder if they have looked at the chromosome count for the Carolina Reaper.

In other plants, from multiple genera, you sometimes you get a plant that has double the number of chromosomes, so double the number of genes. Those plants are known for their vigor, or for producing more of certain, ahem, chemicals. If that happened with a pepper, it is possible to get something much hotter than you`d expect given the pair used in the cross. Normally we would say the organism has a diploid genotype (also written as 2n). That is, one set of chromosomes from the father, one set from the mother. 

A friend of mine is a Professor in Scotland whose speciality is crop research. We have talked about trying to get some peppers seeds to undergo this change by treating seeds with a well known chemical that induces the seeds to produce plants with double the genome (quadruploid, 4n), or even triple (hexaploid, 6n) or quadruple (octaploid, 8n). 

Many crop species have undergone this naturally over the millennia they have been grown, mainly by selecting for larger and larger seeds in wheat, Rye, Barley etc. Wheat is a hexaploid organism, so has triple the chromosomes, 6n. Peppers appear to be diploid, i.e. 2n chromosomes.

The Capsicum annuum Genome has been sequenced, mainly, and it slightly larger than the Human Genome. As far as crops go, that is pretty small. The Bread Wheat Genome is 5 times larger than the Human Genome. That`s pretty big. 

Just food for thought.

Back