Pakistani Naga

That's true Nigel! But I don't know if it would be that extreme of a gain. But then again, who knows, genetics do what they want to do. For all we know it could have been caused by some Thymine dimer that caused the entire pepper to change. So instead of getting a smooth jab looking pepper, or a Naga looking pepper we get the pimply, reaper tailed "Carolina Reaper"

PepperLover said:
Ed himself does not know the two peppers if there was two peppers...
because if he knew he would not mentioned the "sweet habanero" as a half breed in 2.2 million pepper 
it will not happen that you get naga which is not even million,-now we dont know about how hot is the Pakistani naga-. but we know you will not get more heat by mixing sweet peppers in the breed.  simple 
Amen, there is something fishy going on at puckerbutt.

LawrenceJ2007 said:
That's true Nigel! But I don't know if it would be that extreme of a gain. But then again, who knows, genetics do what they want to do. For all we know it could have been caused by some Thymine dimer that caused the entire pepper to change. So instead of getting a smooth jab looking pepper, or a Naga looking pepper we get the pimply, reaper tailed "Carolina Reaper"
Extremely hard to say. Just because a 4n pepper would have double the genome does not mean it would express double the numbers of genes. In the case of Marijuana, 4n strains are known for producing a LOT more canabinoids. Then again, they aren`t Capsicums.

It`s just a thought and may have zero bearing on the Reaper, but it`s worth looking, as it`s an easy thing to do experimentally.

I hope to do some experiments in February to try and generate 4n (or higher) strains. Probably starting with a Landrace`s seeds so nobody has any claim on the variety (including me), but I`m not sure which one. Just for fun, nothing else. 

I read that some nagas and stuff originated there but never a pakistani naga. Some dorset naga and king naga known to originally be found in paki

Rawkstah said:
A naga from pakistan doesn't make sense to me, nagas are from nagaland, india.  not very close to pakistan.  if it originated as a naga pepper that was later selectively bred further in pakistan it would make sense to me... but I can't find any information about this pepper anywhere. 

Actually, nagas grow in Bangladesh too. Why wouldn't they also grow in Pakistan? it's right next to India. In fact, it borders the northern part of India. Northern Indians eat the spiciest food in India (if my Indian neighbor is correct). Bangladesh is to the northwest and Pakistan is to the northeast.
PepperLover said:
Ed himself does not know the two peppers if there was two peppers...
because if he knew he would not mentioned the "sweet habanero" as a half breed in 2.2 million pepper 
it will not happen that you get naga which is not even million,-now we dont know about how hot is the Pakistani naga-. but we know you will not get more heat by mixing sweet peppers in the breed.  simple 

Actually, that's wrong. Hybridization engenders radical changes. It's possible the hybrid could be hotter than its parents. A more dense and bigger placenta could have been the radical changes that occurred, making it hotter. Did Ed claim half of it is a sweet pepper? It might just be noteworthy because the reaper has the sweet flavor characteristic.

He could have said Pakistani naga to not give away the naga he used, but something sweet was used unless a sweet flavor mutated from two superhots. 

I also think it's an intentional cross. Ed claims it's hard for cancer patients to taste things that are not sweet. He also said he wanted them to be able to taste his superhot pepper. It makes sense that he would use a sweet pepper.

You can maybe score some nagas in the Pakistan border but those would be hardly different from standard nagas...
Just an exotic name to increase the legend...

Datil

Nigel said:
Extremely hard to say. Just because a 4n pepper would have double the genome does not mean it would express double the numbers of genes. In the case of Marijuana, 4n strains are known for producing a LOT more canabinoids. Then again, they aren`t Capsicums.

It`s just a thought and may have zero bearing on the Reaper, but it`s worth looking, as it`s an easy thing to do experimentally.

I hope to do some experiments in February to try and generate 4n (or higher) strains. Probably starting with a Landrace`s seeds so nobody has any claim on the variety (including me), but I`m not sure which one. Just for fun, nothing else. 

Nigel it is quite easy to create polyploids: use colchicine!  Germinate the seeds without growing medium (mosit blotting paper) and then apply colchicine to the paper around the newly emerging radicle - the growing root tip will absorb this and subsequently the chromosomes will mutate.  This technique is used by Dutch growers to induce polyploidy.  The only draw-back is that polyploids are damn slow!  Yip believe it or not even with all that extra chromosomes (which often results in bigger flowers, bigger fruit etc) the plants are slow as growing rocks.  I have polyploid Haemanthus albiflos (a bulb) that produce HUGE flowers but lawdy lawdy they are sooooooo slow from seed.  And you aren't really going to see much in the original mutated adults - it's the offspring where the magic happens.

RobStar said:

Nigel it is quite easy to create polyploids: use colchicine!  Germinate the seeds without growing medium (mosit blotting paper) and then apply colchicine to the paper around the newly emerging radicle - the growing root tip will absorb this and subsequently the chromosomes will mutate.  This technique is used by Dutch growers to induce polyploidy.  The only draw-back is that polyploids are damn slow!  Yip believe it or not even with all that extra chromosomes (which often results in bigger flowers, bigger fruit etc) the plants are slow as growing rocks.  I have polyploid Haemanthus albiflos (a bulb) that produce HUGE flowers but lawdy lawdy they are sooooooo slow from seed.  And you aren't really going to see much in the original mutated adults - it's the offspring where the magic happens.
Thanks Rob, my friend in Scotland is bringing me some from his lab! 

The Hot Pepper said:
If they win a PVP you will know.

It will look like this: Red Savina

Interesting. I have always read that the Red Savina was a F1 hybrid. Reading the PVP, it is not. I learned something new today. Now if we can just find info on this pakistani naga, our day will be complete.

I have a Pakistani pepper, but its a completly different pepper C. annuum and not a C. chinense and no where near as hot as a Naga and never heard of a Pakistani Naga, so No help here.

Hey Nigel, Be very very careful with colchicine, as its very toxic, there is a chemical used to subpress growth of weed seeds that is much safer to use and works better in creating mutations. Look up Surflan its used quite often to induce polyploids and you don't risk getting cancer from it.

I've spoken with a few people over in Pakistan today, and asked them about peppers and if they could find anything for me.  The peppers they are most familiar with are the ones that I think wildseed57 has mentioned.  Mind you these aren't gardeners or chili heads that I'm talking with, only your average joe-schmoes.  The two guys I spoke with both hadn't a clue was a Pakistani Naga is or even something that it could be, one of them is going to try and find out more for me and poke around some Pakistani sites for me.  

Rawkstah, I feel your pain brother. 52 replies and still no one can tell you anything about whether or not a Pakistani Naga exists. I will be following this to see if you come up with anything. Stay persistent. Good luck.

Back