• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

Parick's SBJ7

love the texture of this pepper,, like how its all divets bumps you wouldent think one of its perents is a non superhot Hey Sownseeds is this an F2 now ? also how is the heat more like a 7j ? i read somewere they were right up there in heat ,,, nice pics
Hi mate well this is my first time growing it and i havn't tasted it yet , but there has been a few that have tasted it and say it gets its heat from the jonah side. As for if its F2 , im not sure , i got the seeds from Brandon and i think its f2 but brandons not been on that much so he hasnt answered my Pm asking what it is.

Fantastic pics Todd! Thank you for posting them. It is a unique pod for sure. Love to hear what you think of the heat/flavor.
Patrick we should be thanking you for crossing these 2 varietys and sharing in the first place, im only growing out your hard work.

Forgot to post a pic of the underside of the pod , all the pods on the plant are around ths same shape as this.

IMG_9803.jpg

Hi mate well this is my first time growing it and i havn't tasted it yet , but there has been a few that have tasted it and say it gets its heat from the jonah side. As for if its F2 , im not sure , i got the seeds from Brandon and i think its f2 but brandons not been on that much so he hasnt answered my Pm asking what it is.

Patrick we should be thanking you for crossing these 2 varietys and sharing in the first place, im only growing out your hard work.

Forgot to post a pic of the underside of the pod , all the pods on the plant are around ths same shape as this.

IMG_9803.jpg

look at dat pod ! HHHHNNNNGGGGGGG

Great shot! I may have a picture of a few tail ends of the original ones.

I wish I could take credit for any hard work done in the creation of this pepper but it all goes to Ma Nature. The only thing I did was save seeds from a 2010 7 Pot Jonah. When I planted a few in 2011 the first SB7J was born. All I did after that was isolate a couple of pods and hand the seeds from them out. The people around here growing it and sharing seeds should get lots of credit too.

Fantastic pics Todd! Thank you for posting them. It is a unique pod for sure. Love to hear what you think of the heat/flavor.
Well mate i picked the first ripe pods today and had a taste after quite a while just sitting looking at them , they have quite a few seeds for the size of the pod .I cut the pods in half and only ate half a pod (the smaller half).

Now im no Guru when it comes to doing pod taste tests, but i can say this ,it is BLOODY hot and the taste is like no other pod i have tasted , i have never eaten a reaper or one of Butch taylors mississippi pods before so i cant compare to those 2 , but this pod is right up there for heat .

Evan 1 hour after eating it i found myself licking the inside of my mouth to get another taste , the flavour just stuck to the inside of my mouth , im a big fan of the fruity taste of the yellow 7 pots but this thing is a whole new level when it comes to taste, best tasteing pepper i have ever eaten.

Even now while typing this out i can still taste it in my mouth it kinda puts a gel coating over the inside of your mouth.

IMG_9829_zps860e7d46.jpg

IMG_9841_zps11caa4f3.jpg

IMG_9852_zps91aa331b.jpg

again cool lookin pepper kinda cool the seeds are being spread around from US to Australia, have enjoyed reading this thread and all good people contributing ideas and info,Really like the fact its not claiming worlds hottest, kinda cool we dont know how many SHU its pushing. We can just talk about how knarly the pods look and how hot they feel. And Patrick is honest that he stumbled on it and he spread the love,, he could easily claim he made the cross or whent to some tropical island and got the seeds from some native witchdoctor saying its the poison death pepper from Tobango, father of all superhots LOL.. this is THP at its best people enjoying peppers sorry had to get all mushy call em like i see Em, ;)

it is actually pretty simple, Patrick is simply being truthful about his pods, he is not making false claims, and is not trying to become independently wealthy from his pods.

Honesty and integrity go a long way in life, embrace them.

Btw, thanks for the seeds Patrick, looking forward to growng your pod.

They look fantastic. You guys do a good job. Very interesting to hear about sownseeds tasting experience. I would love to grow this pepper someday.

Liebe Grüße

Great update Todd thank you for that. I'm pumped you liked the flavor and it was hot enough for you.

I appreciate all of the kind words guys thank you. Like I've always said if anyone grows it please feel free to pass the seeds out to any and all. You guys that would like some seeds I may have some left, I'm always finding little stashes of seeds around the house. One of advantage of not having a wife is I can stash anything anywhere. Big disadvantage is I have no clue where the hell anything is.

If anyone wants seed PM me and if I have them I'll send them out.

Thanks again all.

Nice pods, I have been quietly following this thread and liked what I have read about this pepper, will love to see just how the pods and plants look especially the ones grown in the hotter states compared to cooler areas during the summer and how well the plants respond to environmental conditions and if they throw out pods that look like the intended shapes that are wanted.
I'm not a nice guy when it comes to weak plants I usually pull any that are weak and keep the best plants and save pods only from the biggest and best plants, I agree that even though some pods will not always look like what I want, I have to look at the big picture which is how well plants grow during the summer months and how well they set pods and or if some show resistance to pepper diseases or insect attack. I can honestly say that seed from pods don't always make a good showing the following season if they come from small weak plants, even though the pods look like what you want. Bigger healthier plants that throw a lot of pods and stand up to what mother nature throws at it. Those are the pods I want even though they may not have the desired pod shape.
I hope that every one has a great season and that they grow some really great peppers.

Hi wildseed57. Not sure what you're getting at with your post. Pretty sure most folks here are after the same thing, healthy plants that have resistance to disease, produce oodles of pods and grow under conditions less than ideal. Please correct me if I'm wrong but you seem to be implying that these pods are coming from small, weak plants. What are you basing this on? I can't speak for anyone else who has grown this plant but the original one was healthy, quite vigorous and survived the harshest weather a Nebraska summer could throw at it including a hail storm that brutalize the plant at a very young stage.

If you want some F1 seeds I would be happy to send you some. I have very few F2 seeds as I had a poor showing last year with all of my plants due to mites and a viral infection of some kind. Quite possibly a yard maintenance service I use sprayed them with weed killer too.

Best of luck to you.

Hi wildseed57. Not sure what you're getting at with your post. Pretty sure most folks here are after the same thing, healthy plants that have resistance to disease, produce oodles of pods and grow under conditions less than ideal. Please correct me if I'm wrong but you seem to be implying that these pods are coming from small, weak plants. What are you basing this on? I can't speak for anyone else who has grown this plant but the original one was healthy, quite vigorous and survived the harshest weather a Nebraska summer could throw at it including a hail storm that brutalize the plant at a very young stage.

If you want some F1 seeds I would be happy to send you some. I have very few F2 seeds as I had a poor showing last year with all of my plants due to mites and a viral infection of some kind. Quite possibly a yard maintenance service I use sprayed them with weed killer too.

Best of luck to you.
They also just went through days of 40 to 45 deg c here in perth western australia , if thats not a plant that can take a beating i dont know what is.

I sent my buddy Todd a pod ( a few months ago) and he said it was the best tasting super he has ever had. And he has sampled quite a few. Here is the review if you would like to see it. He has an excellent way of desrcibing flavor being a chef and all. So from Aussieville to Florida this pepper keeps it's amazing taste . Thank you again Patrick.

The ones I grew tasted great too. They were so crunchy. They look very much like the ones in the videos and pics. I think we will get the pepper we want out of the SBJ7!

Man I am really digging the responses from folks! I should have kept quite about how it came to be and said I spent years developing it--ha! I coulda made millions.

Thanks for posting this Jamie and thank your buddy Todd for doing the video--man is good at it. Keep sharing those seeds folks!

Back