• This is the place to discuss all spicy commerical products, not just sauce!

condiment Passow Downs A Fellow Hippies BBQ Sauce

****Copied and Pasted from the Hot Zone Online*****

Continuing our tour of Australia’s fine products, I now come to The Hippy Seed Company. This company is primarily famous for their You Tube videos of reviewing various products. It’s always enjoyable to try a fellow hippies products…we’re an endangered species you know.

NagaSav BBQ Sauce Ingredients: Naga’s 2.5%, Red Savina’s 2.5%, apples, tomato concentrate, sugar, molasses, salt, pepper, lemon juice, apple cider vinegar, vegetable gum, spices.

What’s with these Aussie’s and their percent of ingredients for the peppers? Alpha Nerds did this too. While we are on the topic of ingredients, I must mention that in the US market, ingredients must be listed from top to bottom in respects to the most to least ingredients and this seems to just list the ingredients not in any order. It may be different in the Land Down Under though which would explain the list.

Now onto the label. It’s nice, but it lacks pizzazz. I was expecting something psychedelic with a name like “The Hippy Seed Company”. Instead we get a plain, white label with Superman esq logo.

This is all well and good, but how does the thick, brown liquid inside taste? Fantastic! It’s a very sweet and non-traditional BBQ sauce. The first thing to hit is the molasses and I do so love that taste and consistency…Hey! Does anybody remember the Boston Molasses Flood of 1919? Ya…fun times… Next comes the sugar which makes this sauce a little too sweet at times. Have no fear though, when cooked with, the sweetness diminishes to just the right level for a BBQ sauce.

Then the apple cider vinegar arrives which fades quickly to reveal the tomato concentrate. It’s not a very large tomato taste though which lends to this being a non-traditional BBQ sauce. Up next comes the apples which is kinda short lived. There’s just a hint of the Red Savina and Naga peppers and if you’re not used to consuming these peppers you’d probably miss their flavors. Coming in last on the flavor train is the lemon juice which grabs the sides of your mouth slightly. All the other ingredients don’t show up on the plate.

Even though the flavors of the peppers aren’t that big, their heat is definitely there. After a few spoonfuls I was doing the ol’ air suck and Habanero sniffle. The tongue numbing effects of the Naga hit pretty fast along with the all around tongue and back of the throat burn of the Savina.

As for suggestions on what this would go perfect with? Pork, pork, and pork! The sweetness pairs perfectly with the fine, fatty, swine. Be sure to marinate it in the sauce for at least an hour then throw it on the grill. Absolutely delicious!

Taste: 7.1, Heat: 6.89

Back