Passow's Hop Harvest And Wet Hop IPA

So, I've been checking the gravity and in about 10 minutes I'm going to check it again. Just from the sample I pulled, I can tell the yeast has dropped out completely. So, as long as the gravity is stable, tomarrow I'll transfer it into the secondary and dry hop it with wet hops from the garden.

I'm also thinking about going over to the local brewery and picking some fresh hops too just for dry hopping....add some real complexity to the flavor/aroma....

Ok, checked the gravity and it's as stable as it'll ever be. Tomarrow I transfer. I colled the sample down and am sipping on it right now.

Great color, Smooth and slightly malty up front then slowly the hops come in. Nice bitterness considering all I used was aroma hops for the bittering.

I tend to agree with Jon on the recipe issue....I don't share my recipes either. Most brewers that do share, they have copyright or whatever on their recipes to protect them. It's the fact that if I give out my recipes someone else could use my recipe and compete against me, or they claim what I have "formulated" as being their own.

There are recipes I will share....just not the recipes I intend on entering Cook-Offs and competitions with or selling.

FYI, from http://www.copyright.gov/fls/fl122.html -

"Mere listings of ingredients as in recipes, formulas, compounds, or prescriptions are not subject to copyright protection. However, when a recipe or formula is accompanied by substantial literary expression in the form of an explanation or directions, or when there is a combination of recipes, as in a cookbook, there may be a basis for copyright protection."

It doesn't seem like copyrights matter too much with single recipes, especially when they are not part of a published collection. Also consider that two people can make the same beer recipe and the result is noticeably different. You can even make the same beer twice in a row and it doesn't come out exactly the same.

Saturday I transfered it into the secondary and dry hopped it with a half an ounce of wet hop Mt. hood. Today, I added 0.80 ounces of fresh wet Cascade hops.

dryhoping.jpg

I am drying my 2nd harvest to dry hop.

Dry hopping with wet hops seemed wrong, but we'll see!

I bottled my first "Brown hop ale" saturday, no hop aroma lol.(that was the one with all of the sub par looking cones)

uh oh! i hope you prayed to the beer gods before throwing those unsanitized hops into your fermentor!!! dried hop quivalent is like .005 oz. ha

Fr0tran said:
uh oh! i hope you prayed to the beer gods before throwing those unsanitized hops into your fermentor!!! dried hop quivalent is like .005 oz. ha
It should be fine. Hops are very anti-bacterial and I also froze them for 24 hours to kill bugs.

The .80 oz is the dry equizilent ;)

imaguitargod said:
Nope, it's completely acceptable. Plus it will cut down on the hops soaking up all that precious beer trying to rehydrate :lol:

Yeah, I just figured that since they aren't boiled or dried, they wouldn't impart much. Could be way wrong!

We'll compare notes.

Fr0tran said:

Never heard of hops infecting beer.....EVER!!!;)

Well, transfering it to the secondary has kick started the yeast again and it's fermenting again...ugh....beer, why can't you behave the way I want you to :lol:

Well, I pulled a sample out of the carboy, no off flavors at all. Infact, it's developed a nice resiny quality to it. Come Saturday, I'm probably going to put it in another secondary just to get it off the hops and have everything settle out.

Back