• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

PaulG 2012

I'm chomping at the bit to get started with some new chilli varieties this coming Spring. So far I've just scratched the surface with Poblanos, Jalapenos and Serranos, all of which I really like. I've been egged on by a new Second Generation Mejicano neighbor as we've talked about hot chillis over the back fence! He helped me make some Pico de Gallo with my Serranos and Early Girl tomatoes and has some great recipes from his mother and grandmother. Hopefully I'll be able to share some of them on this forum in the future. I need to grow more Cilantro. Oh yeah!

I've ordered seed from several sources which received at least a few good comments on this forum (6/12 - items crossed out did not germ, or weren't planted this year):

US Hot Stuff:
Bolivian Rainbow
Yellow Peter
Nosegay
Trinidad Scorpion (from Spankycolts)
Devil Tongue

The Hippy Seed Company: Seed Packet Mixes
NuMex Twilight (from Siliman)
Yellow Jellybeans
Tom Thumbs
Wild Texas Tepin

Refining Fire: Seed Packet Mix
Scotch Bonnet
Chocolate Habanero
Jamaican Red Mushroom

New Mexico State University:
Chiltepin
Omnicolor
Red Carribean Habanero
Orange Habanero

Pepper Gal:
Aji Yellow (request from a Peruvian friend of ours!)
Thai Hot

Peppermania:
Inca Lost
Fatali
White Habanero (from Spanky)
Red Savina (cross with Fatali, from Spanky)
Bishop's Crown
Inca Red Drop
Orange Rocoto
Congo Trinidad

I doubt I will be able to try all of these out this year, but I have saved my seeds in small glass jars with tight-fitting lids for storage over the next year. I have been saving seed from other garden produce and have had good luck with germinating them after two or even three years. The jars are stored in boxes in the garage for a cool dark location for them. I have ordered several compact varieties with an eye toward trying to winter over some of my plants this year. Since I didn't even know peppers were perennial, I can say I've already learned something from this forum!

I purchased a small greenhouse from One Stop Gardens (via Harbor Freight) for $300 four years ago. This is one of the greenhouse kits I've noticed in the greenhouse advertsing bar at the bottom of some of the pages on this forum. This picture is from Spring/ Summer 2011. You can see my tomato and pepper starts on the sheves. I winter over some bonsai trees and jade plants as well as geraniums, begonias and Gerbera Daisies. In the winter, I use a small space heater (visible on ground in the picture) to keep the temp at 40F during the few cold weeks we experience here. So far it has worked pretty well. If overwintering pepper plants becomes a reality I'll be making more room in the greenhouse! I've started a thread in the Grow Tech forum to discuss issues which crop up with these units.

greenhousepan11a.jpg

January 14, 2012:

Composting:

Okay, I need to do something outside. I know, I'll dig out a compost bin. We've had a little dry cool weather, so the worms have burrowed down, and the compost is crumbly, if a tad wet.

DSCN3318sm.jpg

The first step - dig out the bin and sift the material. I use a homemade frame with a layer of 1/4 inch plastic hardware cloth backed with a layer of one inch mesh poultry netting. The fine stuff goes into the wheelbarrow, the coarse stuff into an adjacent compost bin we're still building up.

DSCN3316sm.jpg

The bin on the left is covered to keep the leafy material dry and fluffy. The dry leaves are an important layer in the compost 'cake'. The bin on the right is the one I'm digging out. Nice, dark and crumbly with lots of worms! The sifter is on the wheelbarrow, and some of the coarse stuff is already on the active compost bin in the middle. The bin in the back is resting for several of months. It has a black plastic hardware cloth cover to keep out squirrels and racoons.

DSCN3321sm.jpg

The bin is all dug out. I left about two inches of broken up compost on the bottom of the hole to create a space for the worms to move into. You can see the bin in the middle has a layer of coarse stuff spread out on the top.

DSCN3323sm.jpg

The last step is to put a nice deep layer of dry leaves on the bin we just dug out. Now that bin will rest for a at least several months or more while the earthworms move into the compost/earth interface and do their work. That will make a great base for the next cycle of composting in this bin. I put a thin layer of leaves on the middle bin, too. Now there's a nice layer cake of dirt/compost, leaves. kitchen scraps. All small yard clippings except grass go into the compost bins, even tomato vines and pepper branches and twigs. I don't even chop stuff up too much. I try to have at least 10 or 12 layers of stuff built up before I cover the bin with a layer of dirt/compost and let the worms work for several months. I'm getting about 12-18 cubic feet of compost from these bins a year. My goal is to become 'soil self-sufficient' at some point, perhaps only having to procure horticultural pumice or vermiculite and some peat moss every so often.

DSCN3322sm.jpg

The good stuff. It will go into a plastic, vented storage bin for at lest eight weeks to cure a bit. Then I mix it with a little peat moss and some vermiculite or pumice for aeration. In my large containers, I add 2 or 3 inches of compost worked into the top of the container only every year. I try not to mix up the soil layers in the big containers very much, letting the nutrients percolate down through the soil as in a natural setting. As the blog continues this summer, I'll include photos of the irrigation system and containers I use to grow my tomatoes and peppers, and a few other things.

Here is a pic of some Manzano powder I made today...D-Freaking-Licious!
P1000782.jpg

The two should be similar...I haven't had Rocotos yet. I had never had these peppers...now I don't know how I ever lived without them. The flavor is a bit strange at first but good, and just seems to get better each time I eat them. Supposed to be a long time to harvest, but I already have buds on both plants I am keeping.

Send me your address and I'll get you some seeds.
Shane

Here is a pic of some Manzano powder I made today...D-Freaking-Licious!

The two should be similar...I haven't had Rocotos yet. I had never had these peppers...now I don't know how I ever lived without them. The flavor is a bit strange at first but good, and just seems to get better each time I eat them. Supposed to be a long time to harvest, but I already have buds on both plants I am keeping.

Send me your address and I'll get you some seeds.
Shane

Will do, bro! I think that manzano and rocoto are the same
thing - both c. pubescens - but I could be wrong about that.
That powder looks awesome, all right! I enjoyed reading
about it in your grow log! Just too good.

Thanks for sharing that!

How's it feel to be at the top of the page again? :lol:

Will do, bro! I think that manzano and rocoto are the same
thing - both c. pubescens - but I could be wrong about that.
That powder looks awesome, all right! I enjoyed reading
about it in your grow log! Just too good.

Thanks for sharing that!

How's it feel to be at the top of the page again? :lol:
Well lookie there! I am on top! Yeah, I posted that photo as you were reading it on my page I'm sure, lol.

Well lookie there! I am on top! Yeah, I posted that photo as you were reading it on my page I'm sure, lol.

I checked the manzano/rocoto name thing; this is the info that made the most sense to me:

http://en.wikipedia....sicum_pubescens
Capsicum pubescens is a species of the genus Capsicum (pepper), which is found primarily in Central and South America. The name component pubescens means hairy, which refers to the hairy leaves of this pepper. The plants, but especially the fruits, are often referred to as (my bold:)rocoto (Quechua: ruqutu) and locoto (Aymara: luqutu).[1] As they reach a relatively advanced age and the roots lignify quickly, sometimes the familiar name is tree chili. Of all the domesticated species of peppers, this is the least widespread and systematically furthest away from all others. A very notable feature of this species is its ability to withstand cooler temperatures than other pepper plants.[2]

edit: I'm just going to refer to them as c. pubescens and avoid the problem altogether!

Hey Paul, wanted to say thanks again for the plants and for the hospitality. We had a good time and it was great seeing your set up and checking how you put together your soil.
I'll be going out and picking up 1 gal pots plus soil and perlite today so I can transplant the rest of those today. And then hopefully put up the new lights this weekend.
Thanks again
Aaron

Awright, Aaron, sounds like you have something to keep ya busy now!
Was great to meet you and your family, too. Thanks for the Kokenee!

The little bit of decent weather we've had has kept me busy in the yard, so haven't been on the forum much. We are getting some significant sun breaks along with a half inch or so of rain each of the past two days. The greenhouse plants in the 1 gallon pots are starting to get accustomed to their situation, and I am starting to see some noticeable growth and flower buds forming on more plants.

The Orange Rocoto has finally split into three branches. Has been growing slow in
the greenhouse:
DSCN4109a.jpg

The Bolivian Rainbow has started flowering:
DSCN4107a.jpg

A closer look:
DSCN4107b.jpg

The Black Pearl:
DSCN4108a.jpg

Thought it might be fun to look at the chinense plants and the clones
from the culled seedlings. Just about all of the red cups have roots
growing out the bottoms.

Congo Trinidads:
DSCN4111a.jpg

Chocolate Habaneros:
DSCN4112a.jpg

Fatalis:
DSCN4113a.jpg

Red Caribbeans:
DSCN4114a.jpg

Okay here comes a sun break - out to work up my pepper
and tomato containers! Thanks for taking a look. I promise
to get after glogs soon!

Nice update my friend! I see some subtle differences in the leaf shape and color on your Rocoto than the Manzanos I have going??? If I get a rain break I might post a full plant photo...Your plants look awesome! I am finally starting to get some of my Habs looking ok. For the longest time their color was off plus the aphids seemed to prefer them and the bell peppers the most. Yours look absolutely perfect! Keep up the good work my brother!
Shane

Hey Paul,
If you haven't figured it out already, those rocotos and c. pubescens really like to be more root bound. I have one that I put in a 7 gal. smart pot early on that was the same size as the other plants, andit has been surpassed by ones that are still in solo cups.

Keep up the good work my friend! Excellent pictures of some excellent work!

Looking great Paul - the time is coming, isn't it? Gettin busy... Keep up the good work and best of luck as things come together for you. btw, are those purple tips on the black pearl flowers? Those look neat.

Man, don't miss a week here or your Glog might become a TV mini-series!

Your plants looking good and wished to say thanks for posting your Spring greenhouse temps. Given those variations, did you attempt to harden off for GH conditions? I've got several smaller seedlings and would like to have them hang out overnight in similar low temps. I'm not quite ready to pull the trigger on overnight and looking for someone to blame if something goes horribly wrong... :cool:

Hey Paul,

Do you heat your greenhouse? ive just been checking your 7 day forecast (not so flash eh) amazing chilli`s grow so far north,
I have got family just over the border there in Vancouver & when my father visited he said "man its cold there"

Mezo.

Paul love the side by side comparison pics. Really show how well they are doin! And i love that bolivian rainbow plant! The low forking makes it look so interesting.

Look at them being happy, great job Paul :)

Thanks, man! They are probably happy to be out of the garage!

Nice update my friend! I see some subtle differences in the leaf shape and color on your Rocoto than the Manzanos I have going??? If I get a rain break I might post a full plant photo...Your plants look awesome! I am finally starting to get some of my Habs looking ok. For the longest time their color was off plus the aphids seemed to prefer them and the bell peppers the most. Yours look absolutely perfect! Keep up the good work my brother!
Shane

Thanks for the kind words, but all I really do is give them a
place to grow! We are lucky here so far no insect problems.
Our time will come for sure. My Rocoto looks a bit peaked,
although it has improved since the last watering/feeding.
The three branches are starting to noticeably extend, now.

Thanks for looking in, Shane.
Hey Paul,
If you haven't figured it out already, those rocotos and c. pubescens really like to be more root bound. I have one that I put in a 7 gal. smart pot early on that was the same size as the other plants, andit has been surpassed by ones that are still in solo cups.

Keep up the good work my friend! Excellent pictures of some excellent work!

Thanks for looking, Rabid, and for the nice comments. I think
the growth will speed up as the roots fill the pot, as well. I'll
wait a bit at planting out time to let it stay on the pot a while.

Looking great Paul - the time is coming, isn't it? Gettin busy... Keep up the good work and best of luck as things come together for you. btw, are those purple tips on the black pearl flowers? Those look neat.

Thanks, Andy. Yeah, the nights are getting ever so slightly warmer.
The longer days are helping a lot, too! Yes, the Black Pearls flowers
have purple tips. Very pretty but hard to photograph because they point down.

those peppers in the cups look surprisingly healthy. Whats your secret? :P

Thanks, Dot. Those are all clones from culled seedlings, so they grew
very slowly at first. Once they get a root system, they really take off.
When I transplanted up to the cups, I gave them a bit of mycorrhizae
and dry molasses in the dirt, and it seems to really have helped. I also
water with 1/4 strength fish fert and CalMag every watering. I have been
impressed with their recent growth.

Man, don't miss a week here or your Glog might become a TV mini-series!

Your plants looking good and wished to say thanks for posting your Spring greenhouse temps. Given those variations, did you attempt to harden off for GH conditions? I've got several smaller seedlings and would like to have them hang out overnight in similar low temps. I'm not quite ready to pull the trigger on overnight and looking for someone to blame if something goes horribly wrong... :cool:

I can take it : ) I did not harden off for the greenhouse, and the Plants
seemed to do fine. I have shade cloth for 'hot' days. The temps have
been improving incrementally, so that's good. The heater is giving me
lows of 48 to 53F at nights, with high 30's ambient.

Thanks for viewing, Ken. I promise a pic of the NuMex Twi is coming : ).
Hey Paul,

Do you heat your greenhouse? ive just been checking your 7 day forecast (not so flash eh) amazing chilli`s grow so far north,
I have got family just over the border there in Vancouver & when my father visited he said "man its cold there"

Mezo.

Hey, Mezo, thanks for looking in. The cool nights mean you need
an indoor set-up and/or a greenhouse of some kind to extend the
grow season. I do have a small forced air heater that I run on low
power. It runs maybe 15 minutes an hour in cold temps. Just enough
to keep it at 39 during the coldest nights.

Paul love the side by side comparison pics. Really show how well they are doin! And i love that bolivian rainbow plant! The low forking makes it look so interesting.

Thanks for visiting, Britt! I like the way the clones have grown to be
almost as big as some of the regular plants - I've become a real
believer in mychorrhizae and dry molasses.

The purples are very interesting plants, for sure - some of my favs!

Nice weather for the last few days has kept me from the log for a couple of days.
The plants got out for their first real sun yesterday. they were out in 70F weather
for several hours with no ill effects. The greenhouse seems to have got them
used to the sun.

DSCN4138a.jpg

Thanks, HabaneroHeat81 and HH81betterhalf!
DSCN4136a.jpg

C. Chinense clones diggin' the sun:
DSCN4135a.jpg

More sun bathers:
DSCN4133a.jpg

Bolivian Rainbow:
DSCN4130a.jpg

Oh. What's that I see? Could it be? Yes! Inca Red Drop is the first to form a
pod. Notice the protector standing guard in the background:
DSCN4142a.jpg

Nice weather gave a chance to get containers ready. Cultivate, take out old
root crown, and add soil ammendments:
DSCN4123a.jpg

A lot of the pepper plants will go here:
DSCN4125a.jpg

Will post more pics later - thanks for taking a look.
Hope everybody's grow is going well!

The weather looks nice there! And your plant's seem to be happy about it.. :) Very healthy looking plants.. doing good Paul! It's +2 celsius here and snowing again.. that's very uncool! Hope the sun will shine here too soon.. :)

Great job Paul, love those flowers on Bolivian, you seem to be having great weather.
I'm kinda jealous on that Inca pod developing :D

Are those black buckets 5 gallon?

Back