• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

PaulG 2012

I'm chomping at the bit to get started with some new chilli varieties this coming Spring. So far I've just scratched the surface with Poblanos, Jalapenos and Serranos, all of which I really like. I've been egged on by a new Second Generation Mejicano neighbor as we've talked about hot chillis over the back fence! He helped me make some Pico de Gallo with my Serranos and Early Girl tomatoes and has some great recipes from his mother and grandmother. Hopefully I'll be able to share some of them on this forum in the future. I need to grow more Cilantro. Oh yeah!

I've ordered seed from several sources which received at least a few good comments on this forum (6/12 - items crossed out did not germ, or weren't planted this year):

US Hot Stuff:
Bolivian Rainbow
Yellow Peter
Nosegay
Trinidad Scorpion (from Spankycolts)
Devil Tongue

The Hippy Seed Company: Seed Packet Mixes
NuMex Twilight (from Siliman)
Yellow Jellybeans
Tom Thumbs
Wild Texas Tepin

Refining Fire: Seed Packet Mix
Scotch Bonnet
Chocolate Habanero
Jamaican Red Mushroom

New Mexico State University:
Chiltepin
Omnicolor
Red Carribean Habanero
Orange Habanero

Pepper Gal:
Aji Yellow (request from a Peruvian friend of ours!)
Thai Hot

Peppermania:
Inca Lost
Fatali
White Habanero (from Spanky)
Red Savina (cross with Fatali, from Spanky)
Bishop's Crown
Inca Red Drop
Orange Rocoto
Congo Trinidad

I doubt I will be able to try all of these out this year, but I have saved my seeds in small glass jars with tight-fitting lids for storage over the next year. I have been saving seed from other garden produce and have had good luck with germinating them after two or even three years. The jars are stored in boxes in the garage for a cool dark location for them. I have ordered several compact varieties with an eye toward trying to winter over some of my plants this year. Since I didn't even know peppers were perennial, I can say I've already learned something from this forum!

I purchased a small greenhouse from One Stop Gardens (via Harbor Freight) for $300 four years ago. This is one of the greenhouse kits I've noticed in the greenhouse advertsing bar at the bottom of some of the pages on this forum. This picture is from Spring/ Summer 2011. You can see my tomato and pepper starts on the sheves. I winter over some bonsai trees and jade plants as well as geraniums, begonias and Gerbera Daisies. In the winter, I use a small space heater (visible on ground in the picture) to keep the temp at 40F during the few cold weeks we experience here. So far it has worked pretty well. If overwintering pepper plants becomes a reality I'll be making more room in the greenhouse! I've started a thread in the Grow Tech forum to discuss issues which crop up with these units.

greenhousepan11a.jpg

January 14, 2012:

Composting:

Okay, I need to do something outside. I know, I'll dig out a compost bin. We've had a little dry cool weather, so the worms have burrowed down, and the compost is crumbly, if a tad wet.

DSCN3318sm.jpg

The first step - dig out the bin and sift the material. I use a homemade frame with a layer of 1/4 inch plastic hardware cloth backed with a layer of one inch mesh poultry netting. The fine stuff goes into the wheelbarrow, the coarse stuff into an adjacent compost bin we're still building up.

DSCN3316sm.jpg

The bin on the left is covered to keep the leafy material dry and fluffy. The dry leaves are an important layer in the compost 'cake'. The bin on the right is the one I'm digging out. Nice, dark and crumbly with lots of worms! The sifter is on the wheelbarrow, and some of the coarse stuff is already on the active compost bin in the middle. The bin in the back is resting for several of months. It has a black plastic hardware cloth cover to keep out squirrels and racoons.

DSCN3321sm.jpg

The bin is all dug out. I left about two inches of broken up compost on the bottom of the hole to create a space for the worms to move into. You can see the bin in the middle has a layer of coarse stuff spread out on the top.

DSCN3323sm.jpg

The last step is to put a nice deep layer of dry leaves on the bin we just dug out. Now that bin will rest for a at least several months or more while the earthworms move into the compost/earth interface and do their work. That will make a great base for the next cycle of composting in this bin. I put a thin layer of leaves on the middle bin, too. Now there's a nice layer cake of dirt/compost, leaves. kitchen scraps. All small yard clippings except grass go into the compost bins, even tomato vines and pepper branches and twigs. I don't even chop stuff up too much. I try to have at least 10 or 12 layers of stuff built up before I cover the bin with a layer of dirt/compost and let the worms work for several months. I'm getting about 12-18 cubic feet of compost from these bins a year. My goal is to become 'soil self-sufficient' at some point, perhaps only having to procure horticultural pumice or vermiculite and some peat moss every so often.

DSCN3322sm.jpg

The good stuff. It will go into a plastic, vented storage bin for at lest eight weeks to cure a bit. Then I mix it with a little peat moss and some vermiculite or pumice for aeration. In my large containers, I add 2 or 3 inches of compost worked into the top of the container only every year. I try not to mix up the soil layers in the big containers very much, letting the nutrients percolate down through the soil as in a natural setting. As the blog continues this summer, I'll include photos of the irrigation system and containers I use to grow my tomatoes and peppers, and a few other things.

Nobody likes a showoff Pinoy! There's a slim chance I could end up in Guam soon...if so you all better look out! Averages are 80-90 highs and 70-80 lows year round!

That should take serial updating to a whole new level :D

My little tepins have been pushing out buds for weeks, and still haven't opened up any flowers...any day now. None are dropping, just taking their time. The stems are a trip they are so long and slender. They're some of my best performers so far. Can't wait for a POD to form! Won't be long and we'll both be tired of picking the little boogers!

Sounds good to me! Even at their tender young age, they are a very attractive plant. I like the small leaves.

Just as a side note Paul...don't know how much is due to the cold or the wet or both, but the plants are a little less attractive than they were before putting them out in the sub optimal environment. All still moving and producing though. I am finding new buds daily, so yours should be fine. Also, the ones that have been out the longest are starting to adapt and grow again, so don't fret if they struggle a bit at first. Like the conversation between you and Trippa...I am just going to accept their ugly blemishes and let them do what they do! The adversity that we put them through will only make the harvests that much sweeter when they come...and possibly a whole lot HOTTER! :flamethrower: :fire: :fireball: :fire:

That's the spirit! I have noticed a small amount of growth, but the plants seem happy - no transplant shock, and the vegetation is nice and springy; a couple of Serranos show the tiniest amount of slack in the leaves, but not serious at all. More rain and clouds today - but it is very mellow in the greenhouse. Don't tell anybody, but sometimes i just go sit in the greenhouse and watch the plants grow :oops: :crazy:

Thanks for looking in, Shane! Weekend almost here - hope you get to enjoy it.

Goodluck with the transfer, your plants are looking great!

Thanks for stopping by, Meat! Hope the European Spring is being kind to you!

Okay, just to keep track of temps for anyone interested in the greenhouse.
It feels like we're still in late Winter here in PacNW, but in the greenhouse
it's Spring. We're forecast for a lot of sun breaks in the next couple of days,
so should get some warm days in the shelter. Will probably have to put the
shade cloth back on today or tomorrow:
.........outside: greenhouse​
3/27 - 45/55 : 47/67​
3/28 - 45/52 : 44/72​
3/29 - 45/54 : 46/57​
3/30 - 39/52 : 47/58​
3/31 - 39/54 : 45/80​
4/1 - 38/49 : 45/69​
4/2 - 38/62 : 45/82​
4/3 - 36/50 : 45/67​
4/4 - 36/52 : 45/66​
4/5 - 34/49 : 46/77​

Starting weekly foliar applications of kelp extract (Age Old Kelp by Age Old Organics).

Paul,
Didn't you have 13k views just the other day!..................ha
Nice going, between yours and Shane's updates, you're both keeping everybody reading.

Your outdoor temps are pretty close to mine. I've got a couple of cold frames waiting for me to put some tomato plants in. But with the 30/40's lurking I might just wait til next weekend.

Greg

Paul,
Didn't you have 13k views just the other day!..................ha
Nice going, between yours and Shane's updates, you're both keeping everybody reading.

Shane's was one of the first glogs I started following, along with yours. I just thought that was the way everybody did it! It is amazing that the counts have gone crazy! Who's going to wade through all that stuff?" I doubt I'll ever read the whole thing straight through myself :rofl:

Your outdoor temps are pretty close to mine. I've got a couple of cold frames waiting for me to put some tomato plants in. But with the 30/40's lurking I might just wait til next weekend.

Greg

How about Shane's christmas light heaters? I wouldn't be able to use my greenhouse yet without the little heater in it. I think the main benefit aside from sun and warmth is the fact that they are sheltered from the weather so a little sun goes a long ways. The heater runs about 15 min an hour when temps are cold - like low 30's. I have it set on the low wattage setting. It cost 12 bucks three years ago; pro-rated, that's not a bad price!

Thanks for looking in, Greg. Good luck getting into those cold frames, friend!

I haven't posted any pix for a couple of days, so thought I'd
put up a little eye candy. It's good to take pix of something
besides vegetative growth, even if it is only flowers! The first
two pix are from the grow table in the garage.

Bolivian Rainbow:
DSCN4074a.jpg

Close up:
DSCN4075a.jpg

Explosive Ember (For you Andy!):
DSCN4076a.jpg

Close up:
DSCN4076b.jpg

A few plants from the greenhouse.

Chiltepin clone:
DSCN4079a.jpg

Chiltepin that I accidently beheaded a while back:
DSCN4078a.jpg

The Little Red Hab That Could. Branched at 1" tall, now the branches are
extending. The fused leaf kind of faded and then just fell off. The leaf on the
lower left has some mechanical damage - not nutrient deficiency:
DSCN4077a.jpg

Well, I know it's not a whole lot of pix, but thanks for visiting.
Good growing to all, and to all a good grow :)

Now that's a couple of pretty flowers. I'll bet that "Little Red Hab That Could" turns into a monster producer for you Paul. Thanks for sharing man.

Now that's a couple of pretty flowers. I'll bet that "Little Red Hab That Could" turns into a monster producer for you Paul. Thanks for sharing man.

The pleasure is mine, Patrick! Thanks for taking a peek.
I'm hoping for a nice red hab plant - it's the only one I have,
among several choc habs. I guess you'd say I was habanero
impoverished : ) Next season!

Have a great weekend, Patrick - your grow is awesome!!

I don't like the color purple.....well DIDN'T I mean. BUT I ABSOLUTELY LOVE THOSE FLOWERS! I don't have a sprout in the jiffys yet so I'm a little disappointed in that. But its only been 2 weeks and with the water deficiency it could take that much more time. I'm considering moving the sprouted ones to small dixie cups and putting the center on the outsides of the flat in hopes that they will sprout. The older ones need more light now anyways

I don't like the color purple.....well DIDN'T I mean. BUT I ABSOLUTELY LOVE THOSE FLOWERS! I don't have a sprout in the jiffys yet so I'm a little disappointed in that. But its only been 2 weeks and with the water deficiency it could take that much more time. I'm considering moving the sprouted ones to small dixie cups and putting the center on the outsides of the flat in hopes that they will sprout. The older ones need more light now anyways

That sounds like a good plan, Aaron. At least you will feel like you are
doing something proactive! I haven't had any experience with the jiffys,
so can't say what might happen. How far along are the sprouts?

Glad you liked the purples, they are kinda cool lookin'. Those are part
of the group of plants we were talkin' about.

edit: Geez, I just saw on the news that tomorrow will only be the 5th or
6th day with temp. over 60 this year! Also saw a composite radar image
of the cells that spawned the tornados earlier in the week. Egads, 40,000
foot tall clouds!

That sounds like a good plan, Aaron. At least you will feel like you are
doing something proactive! I haven't had any experience with the jiffys,
so can't say what might happen. How far along are the sprouts?

Glad you liked the purples, they are kinda cool lookin'. Those are part
of the group of plants we were talkin' about.

edit: Geez, I just saw on the news that tomorrow will only be the 5th or
6th day with temp. over 60 this year! Also saw a composite radar image
of the cells that spawned the tornados earlier in the week. Egads, 40,000
foot tall clouds!

I'll be going ghetto with my green house. Probably build a frame out of wood but then use the poly plastic stuff I saw on some of these other threads. I'll post pics up of the dixie cups for you to see, I think it'll work cause I don't need to take them out of the pellets. They're about 1 1/2" tall.

I'll be going ghetto with my green house. Probably build a frame out of wood but then use the poly plastic stuff I saw on some of these other threads. I'll post pics up of the dixie cups for you to see, I think it'll work cause I don't need to take them out of the pellets. They're about 1 1/2" tall.

That should be very servicable, Aaron. It will keep the heat in and the wind out!
The Shane-o-matic Christmas Light Heating Unit might be just the thing for your green house :lol:

Good luck getting it all together, bro! Pepper time is coming : )

They're not Christmas lights right now...they're Easter lights, soon to be Memorial Day lights, then 4th of July lights, Labor, Birthday, Halloween, Thanksgiving, then they're Christmas lights again! C'mon I'm not one of the lazy folks that never puts away his "Christmas" lights! I am a very festive time-saver that believes deeply that all holidays could use a little luminous celebrating.

Great update! Those flowers/plants are beautiful! Your little Red Hab looks nice and healthy! Should be a banner pepper year! I'm gonna go put up some lights to celebrate!

Shane

Thanks paul

Thanks paul
You're welcome, Aaron!

And thank you again Paul - those look awesome! A ton of petals and striking color. Beautiful!
I thought so, too! I was surprised when I went to the grow table yesterday,
and the flowers were open! I sprayed them with foliar kelp the day before,
maybe that triggered the opening. It was probably just their time!

They're not Christmas lights right now...they're Easter lights, soon to be Memorial Day lights, then 4th of July lights, Labor, Birthday, Halloween, Thanksgiving, then they're Christmas lights again! C'mon I'm not one of the lazy folks that never puts away his "Christmas" lights! I am a very festive time-saver that believes deeply that all holidays could use a little luminous celebrating.

Great update! Those flowers/plants are beautiful! Your little Red Hab looks nice and healthy! Should be a banner pepper year! I'm gonna go put up some lights to celebrate!

Shane

Hey, Shane! I'd use your lighting/heating system, but I'd have to take
the lights off the eaves! Just kidding. I only did that one year, and
the neighbors gave me grief for 11 months!

The Little Red Hab is a real survivor. I thought it would never grow; it sat
with just cotys for so long! I hope it's a good pepper year! At least today
will be a good pepper day; we have a reasonably warm and partially sunny
day today! Maybe even over 60. Woot!

Aji seed germination test update:

Had another seed hook (16 days!) in the dirt germination
test; 8/9 now. New hook in left center cell. First to germi-
nate in the upper left cell:
DSCN4081a.jpg

Cup test; all eight still going strong. True leaves evident in both
trays.
DSCN4080a.jpg

The greenhouse plants seem to like their new home - no rebellion
yet! The max temp was 84F this afternoon with a window cracked
open and shade cloth on. Very little wilting evident. Here are a few
of the clones.
DSCN4087a.jpg

Took advantage of the sunny day to work on my raised
beds. Pretty weedy and very wet from Spring rains. The
pea vines will be worked into the soil later:
DSCN4082a.jpg

Pick out weeds, break surface up a little. The boxes are made from
recycled cedar fencing and are 1'x2'x3' for 6 cubic feet above grade.
Thats about 39 gallons:
DSCN4084a.jpg

The 'hoops' are 5 foot drinking fountain tubing from Cosco Home
Depot (edit: senior moment!) . The ends just slip over nails in the
box frames:
DSCN4085a.jpg

The bows are held tight by running a tie down from the crossing point to a wire
screw that twists into the soil. It is surprisingly stout:
DSCN4086a.jpg

Cover with 6mil clear plastic, and there ya have it - Hoop House in a Box :D
DSCN4089a.jpg

Produce Row:
DSCN4090a.jpg

The plastic will heat up the soil and help evaporate the water, but most importantly will keep
spring rains from making it wetter. In two weeks or so, depending on the weather, I'll cultivate,
and work some bat guano, kelp and mycos soil amendment from Black Gold, along with some
compost and 'loosifier' necessary. They make great little greenhouses and can allow setting
out row crops very early and avoid rotting in the ground from rain. This is my fourth year with
this set-up. I think this winter I'll leave the covers on for kale and mache. They can last for about
two years depending on sun exposure, and are made by draping the plastic and just rolling up
the corners and stapling the rolled part to make a stiff edge. They are easy to get off and on,
and are fastened with a push pin in each side. In high winds, two pins each side.

Thanks for viewing folks, enjoy Easter Sunday tomorrow! Then back to growing peppers!

Back