• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

PaulG 2012

I'm chomping at the bit to get started with some new chilli varieties this coming Spring. So far I've just scratched the surface with Poblanos, Jalapenos and Serranos, all of which I really like. I've been egged on by a new Second Generation Mejicano neighbor as we've talked about hot chillis over the back fence! He helped me make some Pico de Gallo with my Serranos and Early Girl tomatoes and has some great recipes from his mother and grandmother. Hopefully I'll be able to share some of them on this forum in the future. I need to grow more Cilantro. Oh yeah!

I've ordered seed from several sources which received at least a few good comments on this forum (6/12 - items crossed out did not germ, or weren't planted this year):

US Hot Stuff:
Bolivian Rainbow
Yellow Peter
Nosegay
Trinidad Scorpion (from Spankycolts)
Devil Tongue

The Hippy Seed Company: Seed Packet Mixes
NuMex Twilight (from Siliman)
Yellow Jellybeans
Tom Thumbs
Wild Texas Tepin

Refining Fire: Seed Packet Mix
Scotch Bonnet
Chocolate Habanero
Jamaican Red Mushroom

New Mexico State University:
Chiltepin
Omnicolor
Red Carribean Habanero
Orange Habanero

Pepper Gal:
Aji Yellow (request from a Peruvian friend of ours!)
Thai Hot

Peppermania:
Inca Lost
Fatali
White Habanero (from Spanky)
Red Savina (cross with Fatali, from Spanky)
Bishop's Crown
Inca Red Drop
Orange Rocoto
Congo Trinidad

I doubt I will be able to try all of these out this year, but I have saved my seeds in small glass jars with tight-fitting lids for storage over the next year. I have been saving seed from other garden produce and have had good luck with germinating them after two or even three years. The jars are stored in boxes in the garage for a cool dark location for them. I have ordered several compact varieties with an eye toward trying to winter over some of my plants this year. Since I didn't even know peppers were perennial, I can say I've already learned something from this forum!

I purchased a small greenhouse from One Stop Gardens (via Harbor Freight) for $300 four years ago. This is one of the greenhouse kits I've noticed in the greenhouse advertsing bar at the bottom of some of the pages on this forum. This picture is from Spring/ Summer 2011. You can see my tomato and pepper starts on the sheves. I winter over some bonsai trees and jade plants as well as geraniums, begonias and Gerbera Daisies. In the winter, I use a small space heater (visible on ground in the picture) to keep the temp at 40F during the few cold weeks we experience here. So far it has worked pretty well. If overwintering pepper plants becomes a reality I'll be making more room in the greenhouse! I've started a thread in the Grow Tech forum to discuss issues which crop up with these units.

greenhousepan11a.jpg

January 14, 2012:

Composting:

Okay, I need to do something outside. I know, I'll dig out a compost bin. We've had a little dry cool weather, so the worms have burrowed down, and the compost is crumbly, if a tad wet.

DSCN3318sm.jpg

The first step - dig out the bin and sift the material. I use a homemade frame with a layer of 1/4 inch plastic hardware cloth backed with a layer of one inch mesh poultry netting. The fine stuff goes into the wheelbarrow, the coarse stuff into an adjacent compost bin we're still building up.

DSCN3316sm.jpg

The bin on the left is covered to keep the leafy material dry and fluffy. The dry leaves are an important layer in the compost 'cake'. The bin on the right is the one I'm digging out. Nice, dark and crumbly with lots of worms! The sifter is on the wheelbarrow, and some of the coarse stuff is already on the active compost bin in the middle. The bin in the back is resting for several of months. It has a black plastic hardware cloth cover to keep out squirrels and racoons.

DSCN3321sm.jpg

The bin is all dug out. I left about two inches of broken up compost on the bottom of the hole to create a space for the worms to move into. You can see the bin in the middle has a layer of coarse stuff spread out on the top.

DSCN3323sm.jpg

The last step is to put a nice deep layer of dry leaves on the bin we just dug out. Now that bin will rest for a at least several months or more while the earthworms move into the compost/earth interface and do their work. That will make a great base for the next cycle of composting in this bin. I put a thin layer of leaves on the middle bin, too. Now there's a nice layer cake of dirt/compost, leaves. kitchen scraps. All small yard clippings except grass go into the compost bins, even tomato vines and pepper branches and twigs. I don't even chop stuff up too much. I try to have at least 10 or 12 layers of stuff built up before I cover the bin with a layer of dirt/compost and let the worms work for several months. I'm getting about 12-18 cubic feet of compost from these bins a year. My goal is to become 'soil self-sufficient' at some point, perhaps only having to procure horticultural pumice or vermiculite and some peat moss every so often.

DSCN3322sm.jpg

The good stuff. It will go into a plastic, vented storage bin for at lest eight weeks to cure a bit. Then I mix it with a little peat moss and some vermiculite or pumice for aeration. In my large containers, I add 2 or 3 inches of compost worked into the top of the container only every year. I try not to mix up the soil layers in the big containers very much, letting the nutrients percolate down through the soil as in a natural setting. As the blog continues this summer, I'll include photos of the irrigation system and containers I use to grow my tomatoes and peppers, and a few other things.

Oh man, if you video yourself eating a brain strain and then a monkey flies out of your nose that will be the BEST. VIDEO. EVER.
No offense Shane, I've enjoyed your videos too, but if Paul brings the monkeys, I mean, how can you compete?
I wondered what that bumper sticker I saw the other day meant... the one that said "Don't make me release the flying Monkeys"! :rofl:

I'm still upset those little sh#ts beat us into space! Now this??? Best advise I can give if you decide to do it is to not surround youself with people that think they're funny and have no idea what you're going through! Really need to be able to focus on that happy place, and funny just doesn't help!
I've always said it's hard to be gracious... etc. Maybe I should restate it Shane? :think:

Way to go on the Hab paul! Im also trying to build up and ate one of my Orange habs and it about knocked me out. Im such a wuss.... And wait to hear about your super reviews!

Me too, Britt. I'm going to eat another venetian after dinner just for
practice, and am going to slice something up on my burger tonight.
If a wimpy venetian can make my tummy sore for a few minutes,
I can't imagine what a brain would do.

My super review may just consist of screaming in agony.

Oh man, if you video yourself eating a brain strain and then a monkey flies out of your nose that will be the BEST. VIDEO. EVER.
No offense Shane, I've enjoyed your videos too, but if Paul brings the monkeys, I mean, how can you compete?

If I thought there was a chance of that happening, I'd video it for sure : )
Maybe just a lot of mucus will fly out my nose!

I'm still upset those little sh#ts beat us into space! : ) Now this??? Best advise I can give if you decide to do it is to not surround youself with people that think they're funny and have no idea what you're going through! Really need to be able to focus on that happy place, and funny just doesn't help!

Unfortunately I don't have anybody to surround myself with.
My wife is at work, hates spicey food, and my dad is 98 and
can't do CPR! ;)

You guys are too funny.

You should do a video though Paul, especially if you can arrange for that bit about the monkeys coming out your nose... That would be pretty epic.

Man, that's messed up. Just kidding! But I'll try.

I wondered what that bumper sticker I saw the other day meant... the one that said "Don't make me release the flying Monkeys"! :rofl:

I've always said it's hard to be gracious... etc. Maybe I should restate it Shane? :think:

:D you are too funny, Rick! Welcome to the top of the page!

Damn Paul! I should've popped in sooner! You got it going on in here dude. Wish my seedlings looked as good as yours this year. Way to grow buddy :)

That's funny, I was thinking the same thing as I looked at your plants!
The visitors to my grow log have made it what it is; I'm very appreciative for that.
Thanks for taking the time to look, PG; best growing to you going forward!

:rofl: The joke is on me! :rofl:
I grabbed another venetian habanero from Jamie's pack after dinner and some
Chile-Freak Mexican Pepper Powder on my hamburger. As I ate it, I thought that
it tasted different, much fruiter. After swallowing and waiting a minute there was
no heat at all, so I thought that maybe there was inconsistent heat in the SWEET
venetian habaneros and ate another. Same thing. Okay, obviously I ate something
else yesterday :lol: I went back to the picture and got all the pods out and laid them
out just like the photo and discovered the red 7 was missing! So, my comments
about the sweet venetian habs (zero heat, nice flavor) should be transferred to the
red 7. Egads. I have put the pods in labeled bags now.

Now my question where do the others rate compared to the red 7?
I need to be more organized. I could have grabbed the brain :fireball:

I have given away a lot of clones including all the annuums. I do have a few
left in gallon pots that we haven't seen in the log for a while. I think you will
be surprised by their growth. The pic of the clones going into their red cups
is on this page: http://thehotpepper.com/topic/27427-paulgs-glog-into-the-greenhouse-ready-or-not/page__st__360
These are all 6" pots (3/4 gal.)

Inca Red Drop clone - about 14":
DSCN4372a.jpg

Inca Red Drop clone flower:
DSCN4374a.jpg

OmniColor clone - about 10":
DSCN4377a.jpg

Yellow Aji clone - about 12":
DSCN4380a.jpg

I've done a bit of leaf pruning on the chinenses - cutting off damaged
or yellowing leaves to lessen stress on the plants and to let some light
into the branches developing at the lower nodes. Most of these look
at least as good or better than their cousins grown out from seedlings.
They are certainly branching more.

Fatali clone - about 7":
DSCN4382a.jpg

Red Caribbean clone - about 7":
DSCN4383a.jpg

Chocolate Habanero clone - about 5":
DSCN4385a.jpg

Congo Trinidad clone - about 5". It's cousin is the first chinense to begin flowering:
DSCN4386a.jpg

Thanks for looking; hope your own grow is spectacular!

Wow, looking at the clones from this end is impressive. You could cut way back on seeds if you are doing multiples of a certain strain. Nice work Paul, those look amazing.

Thanks, Andy, I have been pleased with the way they have
turned out. In a case or two I may plant out the clone rather
than its cousin! I think cloning certainly has its place in the
pepper growers repetoire; I really want to try cloning some
of my really nice mature plants this Fall. And do some grafting.
And do some overwintering. The list keeps getting longer. My
grower buddy here is starting to get interested in tissue culture.
Now there is cloning for real!

Good growing to you Andy! thanks for looking in, as always!

I took pics of three late germinator/slow growers; they are on the
same page as the clone cups linked above. They seemed to sit in
cotys forever, then just grew so slowly. Now they seem to be
realizing their potential.

Black Pearl - about 6":
DSCN4381a.jpg

Chocolate Habanero - about 3":
DSCN4387a.jpg

You might remember The Little Red Hab That Could; grew real slow, then forked
at 1" tall. Now it's about 5" tall and getting very bushy. Should be a great grow out:
DSCN4388a.jpg

Better weather here in a few days; just hanging on in the greenhouse until the plants can
get back outside for some sun. We've had about an inch of rain since Sunday. Hope this
finds everyone in good spirits :cheers: and enjoying their grows!

Great job on the clones! If you've eaten the red 7 you're not in for "much" worse. The one I had was pretty darn hot. The brain is hotter, but not by a whole lot. The yellows are much milder.

Great job on the clones! If you've eaten the red 7 you're not in for "much" worse. The one I had was pretty darn hot. The brain is hotter, but not by a whole lot. The yellows are much milder.

Thanks, Shane! I'm positive it was the red 7. It's the only one
I can't find in the bag, beside the venetians I ate. Mine must
not have been too hot, cuz I wasn't sweating or itching the top
of my head, but it was pretty spicey! I'll try the yellow 7 next.

MAN! i am jealous! those clones are GREAT! i am hoping to get some clones going in the future!

Thanks, Spongey! The process is pretty straightforward. I should have
trimmed the leaves a bit more in the beginning, but they overcame that
and seem to be on the way. You will have some fun trying it out!

Hey Paul, the clones are looking great! I haven't dabbled in that just yet, seems a bit more tricky and still need to do some research on it. Ii might give it go with some of those seedlings. I'll be potting those up shortly as you would expect. Just not sure if I should go straight to the 1gallon or go to a 6" pot.
Anyways great growing man!
Aaron

Man the clone army has risen! Well done paul! Pretty amazing how fast there roots can mature to allow such nice veg growth! Yea you are a champ! To have so little reaction to a red 7pot is hardcore! Cant wait to see what you think of the yellows. oh and to watch the brainstrain vid ofcourse ;)

Wow Paul your plants are really blowing up. Very green and happy. :party:

I thought something was odd when you said the sweet hab had a nice kick to it. They have little or no heat IMO. Very tasty but that's about it. I am suprised you ate a red 7 with little or no pain my friend. They get me really good :hot: . Try the chocolate bhut and that will be a good indicator if your ready for thr Brain. :P

Great clones Paul, you just insipred me to try some cloning for next season. Will have to read through this topic a few times, but I will surely try.

Keep it up :)

yeah I definitely am going to try to clone some things as well... I have a few peppers where only one ended up in the ground... Cloning might be a good alternative to starting more seeds.

Hey Paul, the clones are looking great! I haven't dabbled in that just yet, seems a bit more tricky (nah) and still need to do some research on it. Ii might give it go with some of those seedlings. Don't ruin a good seedling! I did it to cull seedlings in starter cells. If there is only one sprout I leave it alone) I'll be potting those up shortly as you would expect. Just not sure if I should go straight to the 1gallon or go to a 6" pot.
Anyways great growing man!
Aaron

Thanks, Aaron. The 6" pots I have are 3/4 gallon (3Qt.) - since we're closer to plant out, I thinka 6" pot will suffice. I have some 24" plants (Serrano, Bishop's Crown, Aji especially) in my 6 inchers. Go for it!

edit: On second thought, I think the early cloning/cutting method is a good one for creating smaller, bushier plants. Almost all of my chinense clones are a tad shorter, and branching way better than the relatives. In other cases, like Serranos, the back budding that occurs on the donor stem can produce outrageous branching, so maybe that would be the goal, and the clone is just a freebie. On others, like Aji and Bishop's Crown, a single dominant branch grew out following the cutting, so no benefit beyond the clone itself there, other than slowing down growth in the grow tent.

The clones look great, I need to read this whole topic too learn some more about that from the craftmaster ;) Keep it up!

Thanks, man. There are a few other members also doing 'cloning'
(more appropriately called 'dividing' or 'taking a cutting', I suppose)
and grafting - great stuff!

Thanks for looking, my friend!

Man the clone army has risen! (Yes, resistance is futile. Already other members are being taken over by the desire to create clone armies!) Well done paul! Pretty amazing how fast there roots can mature to allow such nice veg growth! Yea you are a champ! To have so little reaction to a red 7pot is hardcore! Cant wait to see what you think of the yellows. oh and to watch the brainstrain vid ofcourse ;)

Sorry, can't find the monkeys : )

The red 7 was pretty small. Still, the part I didn't like was the stomach
ache - right below the diaphragm. I should have eaten it sooner after
my sandwich. I'll tell you what I think of the yellow 7 after tonight.
Shane is probably setting me up but he said they are milder : )

Thanks for looking, Britt!

Wow Paul your plants are really blowing up. Very green and happy. :party:

I thought something was odd when you said the sweet hab had a nice kick to it. They have little or no heat IMO. Very tasty but that's about it. I am suprised you ate a red 7 with little or no pain my friend. They get me really good :hot: . Try the chocolate bhut and that will be a good indicator if your ready for thr Brain. :P

Thanks for looking in, Jamie, and for the kind words.
Right on about the Venetians. I thought it was weird that a
sweet pepper would have such a kick and produce a gut ache!
I was terrified of eating the others after that ;)
Shows you what a noob I am with the hotter varieties!

How would the Choc Bhut compare to the Bhut Red, Dorset Naga,
Bhut Hybrid and Yellow Cardi Scorp in general?

Great clones Paul, you just insipred me to try some cloning for next season. Will have to read through this topic a few times, but I will surely try.

Keep it up :)

Way to go, MrNo! You will find it relatively easy to do.
Patience is the key procedure!

Thanks, and good growing to you!

Good luck with your experimenting!

yeah I definitely am going to try to clone some things as well... I have a few peppers where only one ended up in the ground... Cloning might be a good alternative to starting more seeds.

I think that would be especially true if one wanted to continue
a particularly good cultivar without resorting to seed germination.

Let's see, if you graft and clone, would that make you the Gronemaster? :lol:

Ouch.

Don't forget hydroponics :rofl: I could be the "Hydro Gronemaster".

Red 7pot is pretty kicky, the yellow brain strain might be a little hotter than your 7pot, but not as hot as a red one. Yellow peppers as you know, tend to be milder in general.

If you were able to handle the red 7, you should have no problems with the rest. After a certain point, burn is burn, am I right? The difference would be in duration.

The bhuts are pretty kicky too. They are sneaky buggers, you eat a bite of one, and its like hmm... Not so bad... But give it a couple more seconds...

A friend of mine, and I, went out for hot wings the other day. This place up the street has some bhut wings called Memory Wings. They make a bhut hot sauce in house, and a bhut powder... So they batter the wings in the bhut sauce, cook them, and then roll them in bhut powder while they are still wet from cooking... The net result is about 1/4 inch of bhut surrounding each hot wing.

My friend likes to think he has the market cornered on hot stuff... So I took him to this wing place, and ordered 5 of the wings (thats about all of the bhut wings I can handle). I traded one of mine for one of his, and asked for our drinks to be refilled (necessary precaution hah).

I turned back towards him to warn him not to try it until the drinks came back, but by then it was too late, he had put that thing in his mouth up to the joint. :dance:

I smiled a bit, and he said "these things aren't.... oh shit... :hell: ".

He wondered if he was going to die, and then he wished he would.

Any way, we are going back in a week, he wants to eat 5 more haha.

Yellow Cardi Scorp, at least the one I had, was QUITE mild. It had kind of a mild onion taste to it, and was not quite as hot as a habanero. Mine came from Scoville, who was giving away some plants a few weeks back. Good taste. Heat was on par with an exceptionally hot cayenne, maybe a little hotter, but not as hot as a habanero.

It could have just been an early pod too, so your mileage may vary.

Brainstrian is the only pepper i've ever eaten that made my urine burn.

Don't forget hydroponics :rofl: I could be the "Hydro Gronemaster". Double Ouch!

Red 7pot is pretty kicky, the yellow brain strain might be a little hotter than your 7pot, but not as hot as a red one. Yellow peppers as you know, tend to be milder in general. Actually, I didn't know that : )

If you were able to handle the red 7, you should have no problems with the rest. After a certain point, burn is burn, am I right? The difference would be in duration. Okay, that's good to know, but the vids of folk eating the brains, etc. make me wonder!

The bhuts are pretty kicky too. They are sneaky buggers, you eat a bite of one, and its like hmm... Not so bad... But give it a couple more seconds...

A friend of mine, and I, went out for hot wings the other day. This place up the street has some bhut wings called Memory Wings. They make a bhut hot sauce in house, and a bhut powder... So they batter the wings in the bhut sauce, cook them, and then roll them in bhut powder while they are still wet from cooking... The net result is about 1/4 inch of bhut surrounding each hot wing.

My friend likes to think he has the market cornered on hot stuff... So I took him to this wing place, and ordered 5 of the wings (thats about all of the bhut wings I can handle). I traded one of mine for one of his, and asked for our drinks to be refilled (necessary precaution hah).

I turned back towards him to warn him not to try it until the drinks came back, but by then it was too late, he had put that thing in his mouth up to the joint. :dance:

I smiled a bit, and he said "these things aren't.... oh shit... :hell: ".

He wondered if he was going to die, and then he wished he would.

Any way, we are going back in a week, he wants to eat 5 more haha.

Great story!

Yellow Cardi Scorp, at least the one I had, was QUITE mild. It had kind of a mild onion taste to it, and was not quite as hot as a habanero. Mine came from Scoville, who was giving away some plants a few weeks back. Good taste. Heat was on par with an exceptionally hot cayenne, maybe a little hotter, but not as hot as a habanero.

It could have just been an early pod too, so your mileage may vary.

Brainstrian is the only pepper i've ever eaten that made my urine burn.
Egads, as often as I have to pee (66 does that), that would be murder!

Hey, JCR, thanks for the response. Knowledge is power!

Back