• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

PaulG 2012

I'm chomping at the bit to get started with some new chilli varieties this coming Spring. So far I've just scratched the surface with Poblanos, Jalapenos and Serranos, all of which I really like. I've been egged on by a new Second Generation Mejicano neighbor as we've talked about hot chillis over the back fence! He helped me make some Pico de Gallo with my Serranos and Early Girl tomatoes and has some great recipes from his mother and grandmother. Hopefully I'll be able to share some of them on this forum in the future. I need to grow more Cilantro. Oh yeah!

I've ordered seed from several sources which received at least a few good comments on this forum (6/12 - items crossed out did not germ, or weren't planted this year):

US Hot Stuff:
Bolivian Rainbow
Yellow Peter
Nosegay
Trinidad Scorpion (from Spankycolts)
Devil Tongue

The Hippy Seed Company: Seed Packet Mixes
NuMex Twilight (from Siliman)
Yellow Jellybeans
Tom Thumbs
Wild Texas Tepin

Refining Fire: Seed Packet Mix
Scotch Bonnet
Chocolate Habanero
Jamaican Red Mushroom

New Mexico State University:
Chiltepin
Omnicolor
Red Carribean Habanero
Orange Habanero

Pepper Gal:
Aji Yellow (request from a Peruvian friend of ours!)
Thai Hot

Peppermania:
Inca Lost
Fatali
White Habanero (from Spanky)
Red Savina (cross with Fatali, from Spanky)
Bishop's Crown
Inca Red Drop
Orange Rocoto
Congo Trinidad

I doubt I will be able to try all of these out this year, but I have saved my seeds in small glass jars with tight-fitting lids for storage over the next year. I have been saving seed from other garden produce and have had good luck with germinating them after two or even three years. The jars are stored in boxes in the garage for a cool dark location for them. I have ordered several compact varieties with an eye toward trying to winter over some of my plants this year. Since I didn't even know peppers were perennial, I can say I've already learned something from this forum!

I purchased a small greenhouse from One Stop Gardens (via Harbor Freight) for $300 four years ago. This is one of the greenhouse kits I've noticed in the greenhouse advertsing bar at the bottom of some of the pages on this forum. This picture is from Spring/ Summer 2011. You can see my tomato and pepper starts on the sheves. I winter over some bonsai trees and jade plants as well as geraniums, begonias and Gerbera Daisies. In the winter, I use a small space heater (visible on ground in the picture) to keep the temp at 40F during the few cold weeks we experience here. So far it has worked pretty well. If overwintering pepper plants becomes a reality I'll be making more room in the greenhouse! I've started a thread in the Grow Tech forum to discuss issues which crop up with these units.

greenhousepan11a.jpg

January 14, 2012:

Composting:

Okay, I need to do something outside. I know, I'll dig out a compost bin. We've had a little dry cool weather, so the worms have burrowed down, and the compost is crumbly, if a tad wet.

DSCN3318sm.jpg

The first step - dig out the bin and sift the material. I use a homemade frame with a layer of 1/4 inch plastic hardware cloth backed with a layer of one inch mesh poultry netting. The fine stuff goes into the wheelbarrow, the coarse stuff into an adjacent compost bin we're still building up.

DSCN3316sm.jpg

The bin on the left is covered to keep the leafy material dry and fluffy. The dry leaves are an important layer in the compost 'cake'. The bin on the right is the one I'm digging out. Nice, dark and crumbly with lots of worms! The sifter is on the wheelbarrow, and some of the coarse stuff is already on the active compost bin in the middle. The bin in the back is resting for several of months. It has a black plastic hardware cloth cover to keep out squirrels and racoons.

DSCN3321sm.jpg

The bin is all dug out. I left about two inches of broken up compost on the bottom of the hole to create a space for the worms to move into. You can see the bin in the middle has a layer of coarse stuff spread out on the top.

DSCN3323sm.jpg

The last step is to put a nice deep layer of dry leaves on the bin we just dug out. Now that bin will rest for a at least several months or more while the earthworms move into the compost/earth interface and do their work. That will make a great base for the next cycle of composting in this bin. I put a thin layer of leaves on the middle bin, too. Now there's a nice layer cake of dirt/compost, leaves. kitchen scraps. All small yard clippings except grass go into the compost bins, even tomato vines and pepper branches and twigs. I don't even chop stuff up too much. I try to have at least 10 or 12 layers of stuff built up before I cover the bin with a layer of dirt/compost and let the worms work for several months. I'm getting about 12-18 cubic feet of compost from these bins a year. My goal is to become 'soil self-sufficient' at some point, perhaps only having to procure horticultural pumice or vermiculite and some peat moss every so often.

DSCN3322sm.jpg

The good stuff. It will go into a plastic, vented storage bin for at lest eight weeks to cure a bit. Then I mix it with a little peat moss and some vermiculite or pumice for aeration. In my large containers, I add 2 or 3 inches of compost worked into the top of the container only every year. I try not to mix up the soil layers in the big containers very much, letting the nutrients percolate down through the soil as in a natural setting. As the blog continues this summer, I'll include photos of the irrigation system and containers I use to grow my tomatoes and peppers, and a few other things.

Looking like you are well on your way Paul. As for the cloning best way I have found for the softer herbaceous type cuttings/clones of various types of plants including Chilli's is simply plain (ideally non chlorinated water) cut the stem at 45 degrees trim off excess leaves and submerge cut nodes under the water in a solid vase cup (ie with no light from sides) and leave in a warm humid spot with filtered light source ie winter sun. Keep the water fresh and within 2-3 weeks rooted cuttings. Best thing is you can check if they are rooting without disturbing them.

OH SNAP.. I should let my water sit before I water my plants..I HAD NO IDEA. I just did a google search and most experienced planters use water that is ph balanced and that sit for approximately 12 hrs from the tap. (Or rain water) I am such a damn noob.. ugh..Could this be part of the reason my plants started losing leaves? I watered them from my tap.. Please dont yell at me if I did a newbie dummy move. I must say, the problems with my plants started after I watered them the first time. They turned yellow green the the leaves just fell off

OH SNAP.. I should let my water sit before I water my plants..I HAD NO IDEA. I just did a google search and most experienced planters use water that is ph balanced and that sit for approximately 12 hrs from the tap. (Or rain water) I am such a damn noob.. ugh..Could this be part of the reason my plants started losing leaves? I watered them from my tap.. Please dont yell at me if I did a newbie dummy move. I must say, the problems with my plants started after I watered them the first time. They turned yellow green the the leaves just fell off
Do you smell chlorine when you open the tap? You'll taste it at very low levels, but your tap water will smell like bleach at higher levels and you might notice a blue/green stain in the sink under the tap. I use tap water from a municipal supply to water my plants, and I've had no problems. They add a small amount of chlorine, but the levels are low enough that I can't taste the chlorine much and I can't smell it at all.

Mine is the same way stick, I just use fresh tap water to give everything a drink.

Its not slowed them down, although they don't grow as fast as when it rains.

Also I'm chuckling on the inside that Shane didn't get the top of the page :)

Well Paul you have alrady had the red 7 and yellow 7 so I think you are ready for the bhut :hot: ,or brain :fireball: . The yellow cardi is childs play :party:

I don't know Paul, that's a tasty though pretty hot lilst you have there. I have to say next I would probably go to the Bhut Hybrid or the Douglah hybrid. I don't know what they were crossed with but alone each of them pack a nice bit of heat. Just remember to embrace the heat and insanity of it and make it your own.

Oh, and yeah, video is a must

keep it spicy my friend
RM

Edit: Yep, I water mine right from the faucet and not to rub it in but we're also currently looking at buying a house and there is one with 5 acres and a deep water well. If I can talk the wife into it and we can get it I will be all like

:dance: :dance: :dance: :dance:

A different way to approach it would be this: choose your next pepper based on what you are eating for dinner. I don't know enough about the taste of each pepper to guide you, but I do know if I eat a red bhut with red meat, say a chili or in a hamburger, I like it a lot better.

Sandara I doubt very much if there's enough chlorine in your tap water to do any damage to your plants.

Congrats Paul for getting into the heat. Doing it smart too man good for you. I do have a question about the fertilizer you mentioned the Mor Bloom, what are the numbers?

Good luck man.

Sandara I doubt very much if there's enough chlorine in your tap water to do any damage to your plants.

Congrats Paul for getting into the heat. Doing it smart too man good for you. I do have a question about the fertilizer you mentioned the Mor Bloom, what are the numbers?

Good luck man.

Hi Patrick, thanks for looking. The Ak fish is 5-1-1 and the MorBloom is 0-10-10. I mix it three to one as per a little booklet I got from them several years ago; they called it the 'grow team'. By my rough mental math, that gives a final solution that is 3.75% N and 3.25% each of P and K. I like the balanced nature of it. (For the first grow phase I use fish and calmag) I have had great success with all flowering and fruiting plants. The downside is you have to apply every couple of weeks. I've dropped the CalMg from the soil fert routine, but may alternate weekly sprays of that and kelp.

Here's to a good grow!

OH SNAP.. I should let my water sit before I water my plants..I HAD NO IDEA. I just did a google search and most experienced planters use water that is ph balanced and that sit for approximately 12 hrs from the tap. (Or rain water) I am such a damn noob.. ugh..Could this be part of the reason my plants started losing leaves? I watered them from my tap.. Please dont yell at me if I did a newbie dummy move (Not at all. How else will you learn, except by trying. Next year you will be giving advice to the new noobs!). I must say, the problems with my plants started after I watered them the first time. (Is it possoble that you overwatered them or they overheated?) They turned yellow green the the leaves just fell off

I use tap water that sits overnight for watering up to gallon size or so.
After that, the drip system runs off the water supply and it's treated.
But like Rick, no noticable chlorine smell or taste. And it's pretty much pH 7.0
I'm no pro, but in my own experience, it seems like almost all problems with
plants stem from water use, i.e. quantity, usually too much. The second culprit is
usually overfeeding. That's why I like fish, hard to over shoot if you
follow directions.

Good luck, Sanarda!

Mine is the same way stick, I just use fresh tap water to give everything a drink.

Its not slowed them down, although they don't grow as fast as when it rains.

Also I'm chuckling on the inside that Shane didn't get the top of the page :) Bwahahahaha

Nothing like a little rain to deliver a good shot of dissolved N!
Take care, bud!

Well Paul you have alrady had the red 7 and yellow 7 so I think you are ready (?) for the bhut :hot: ,or brain :fireball: . The yellow cardi is childs play :party:

Why is there a nagging doubt in the back of my mind? JK - this has been kind of fun.
Never thought two years ago, I'd be sampling hotties. Peppers, that is!

Good growing, my friend!

I don't know Paul, that's a tasty though pretty hot lilst you have there. I have to say next I would probably go to the Bhut Hybrid or the Douglah hybrid. I don't know what they were crossed with but alone each of them pack a nice bit of heat. Just remember to embrace the heat and insanity of it and make it your own.

Oh, and yeah, video is a must

keep it spicy my friend
RM

Edit: Yep, I water mine right from the faucet and not to rub it in but we're also currently looking at buying a house and there is one with 5 acres and a deep water well. If I can talk the wife into it and we can get it I will be all like

:dance: :dance: :dance: :dance:

Dude! You get that 5 acres! We all need the vicarious thrills of
watching you develop a super grow!

Thanks for looking, and for the advice, RM!

A different way to approach it would be this: choose your next pepper based on what you are eating for dinner. I don't know enough about the taste of each pepper to guide you, but I do know if I eat a red bhut with red meat, say a chili or in a hamburger, I like it a lot better.

Hey, Andy. I'll wait to see what's for dinner and then decide. I may just
go for the 'mild' yellow cardi scorp to give my tongue a rest! The Aji Limon
and Datil were both very tasty (and Jamie sent seeds!). I still have a couple
of those, so they will go down in the next day or two.

Have fun in your garden tomorrow, Andy!

Hey Paul! holy mole! 42 pages!? lol. last time I saw your glog you were in the 20s, and I always see you replying to every glog!

That's it. If Paul doesn't get the glogger of the year award.. I'm goin on THP strike. lol.

Plants look great as always buddy. MAN they've gotten big since I last saw em!
I went back about 3 pages of reading, really fun to read about your experiences with Jamies pods.
If your able to eat peices.. you could do a whole or half of a pod.
Don't get me wrong it's gonna feel like a kick in the face but, you got it my friend ;)
Beautiful yard btw man. I'm glad the season continues to treat you well!
Real nice to catch up on your glog :)
Hope all is well with you my friend.

Thanks for the response Paul. I'm surprised you have time to grow with all of the posting you do around here. ;) The reason I asked about the Mor Bloom is that kind of fert is usually used at the beginning of the bloom cycle. Used too early and the plants tend to stop growing and start producing flowers. Sounds like you got the numbers worked out perfectly. Obviously your plants think so. Way to grow man.

No I don't smell any chlorine at all so I think your right Paul. I overwatered. Thanks all for the info. I Am learning so much here. It is truly appreciated.

Hey Paul! holy mole! 42 pages!? lol. last time I saw your glog you were in the 20s, and I always see you replying to every glog!
I manage to hit a few when the weather is lousy! If it's sunny out, so am I :cool: And them I'm bad.
That's it. If Paul doesn't get the glogger of the year award.. I'm goin on THP strike.
Thanks for the nomination, but there are others who deserve it more I'm sure :cheers:
Plants look great as always buddy. MAN they've gotten big since I last saw em!
I went back about 3 pages of reading, really fun to read about your experiences with Jamies pods.
If your able to eat peices.. you could do a whole or half of a pod.
Don't get me wrong it's gonna feel like a kick in the face but, you got it my friend ;)
I ate a halves for the red 7 and dorset naga. the yellow seven was dang big! Probably
go for halves on the cardi.
Beautiful yard btw man. I'm glad the season continues to treat you well!
Real nice to catch up on your glog :)
Hope all is well with you my friend.
Hey, Brandon, things here are good - knock on wood!

The plants have really taken off since I started upping the strength on the fish fert and mor bloom.
I will be so glad to get them in their final containers, or in other homes; they will be so much easier
to take care of then since I won't be able to fret over them so much!

Thanks for the positive comments, Brandon; always appreciate your visits to my log.
I hope your plants (and you) are continuing to gain ground.

Thanks for the response Paul. I'm surprised you have time to grow with all of the posting you do around here. ;) The reason I asked about the Mor Bloom is that kind of fert is usually used at the beginning of the bloom cycle. Used too early and the plants tend to stop growing and start producing flowers. Sounds like you got the numbers worked out perfectly. Obviously your plants think so. Way to grow man.
Right on. I wait until plants start flowering and setting fruit before I use the
Mor Bloom. I did pinch pods quite a bit when they were under the lights,
but once out to the greenhouse, I let them go. The cool temps pinched a few
for me as well! Just about all the annuums and baccatums are doing so,
and a fair portion of the chinenses, so I figured what the. The N in the fish fert
promotes vegetative growth, while the P and K support the flowering/fruiting.
I have tried using Mor Bloom only on my flowering tomatoes as they suggest,
but without the N, they were puny looking, and I didn't think they fruited any better.
So I use the 'grow team', and prune leaves so the light gets to the inner branches
as they emerge.!

Good growing to you, my friend!

Loving the Bolivian Rainbow! Can't wait to hear how your Aji's taste Paul.
Thanks for visiting, Chewi; I am so looking forward to some of those Peruvian pods!
The BR is looking even better, really setting pods on the sunny days : )

No I don't smell any chlorine at all so I think your right Paul. I overwatered. Thanks all for the info. I Am learning so much here. It is truly appreciated.
You are more than welcome; my pleasure! This is a great place to get
your growing act together! I haven't heard anybody say the forum sucks
and doesn't have any good information :D I have garnered my fair share, for sure!

Good growing to you!

Paul, you must not watch TV like myself? how else do you get the time?

TV is crap anyhow. :party:

Mezo.
You are right. My dad has the sports channels on all the time, so I listen to it!

I'll +1 that... 259 channels and nothing on!
I'll +1 Rick's +1!
Wowzers man! very impressive!
Thanks, Jamison. Anything good on here has come from
what I have learned from being a member of the forum!

Here's to a fantastic grow!

Just a couple of pics of plants getting some outside time. They have
been outside for two nights. Temps in high 40's to low 50's right
now, but a 39 in the forecast about 7-8 days out. I'm thinking of getting
some annuums in the raised beds so they can get established before
the cool night or two get here. Gotta get these guys out of these 6" pots!

This is a couple of days ago; some of these have found new homes
since then:
DSCN4396a.jpg

Some of these guys are 24-26" tall:
DSCN4397a.jpg

Hope everyone had a good weekend! Good growing to y'all.

Back