• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

PaulG 2012

I'm chomping at the bit to get started with some new chilli varieties this coming Spring. So far I've just scratched the surface with Poblanos, Jalapenos and Serranos, all of which I really like. I've been egged on by a new Second Generation Mejicano neighbor as we've talked about hot chillis over the back fence! He helped me make some Pico de Gallo with my Serranos and Early Girl tomatoes and has some great recipes from his mother and grandmother. Hopefully I'll be able to share some of them on this forum in the future. I need to grow more Cilantro. Oh yeah!

I've ordered seed from several sources which received at least a few good comments on this forum (6/12 - items crossed out did not germ, or weren't planted this year):

US Hot Stuff:
Bolivian Rainbow
Yellow Peter
Nosegay
Trinidad Scorpion (from Spankycolts)
Devil Tongue

The Hippy Seed Company: Seed Packet Mixes
NuMex Twilight (from Siliman)
Yellow Jellybeans
Tom Thumbs
Wild Texas Tepin

Refining Fire: Seed Packet Mix
Scotch Bonnet
Chocolate Habanero
Jamaican Red Mushroom

New Mexico State University:
Chiltepin
Omnicolor
Red Carribean Habanero
Orange Habanero

Pepper Gal:
Aji Yellow (request from a Peruvian friend of ours!)
Thai Hot

Peppermania:
Inca Lost
Fatali
White Habanero (from Spanky)
Red Savina (cross with Fatali, from Spanky)
Bishop's Crown
Inca Red Drop
Orange Rocoto
Congo Trinidad

I doubt I will be able to try all of these out this year, but I have saved my seeds in small glass jars with tight-fitting lids for storage over the next year. I have been saving seed from other garden produce and have had good luck with germinating them after two or even three years. The jars are stored in boxes in the garage for a cool dark location for them. I have ordered several compact varieties with an eye toward trying to winter over some of my plants this year. Since I didn't even know peppers were perennial, I can say I've already learned something from this forum!

I purchased a small greenhouse from One Stop Gardens (via Harbor Freight) for $300 four years ago. This is one of the greenhouse kits I've noticed in the greenhouse advertsing bar at the bottom of some of the pages on this forum. This picture is from Spring/ Summer 2011. You can see my tomato and pepper starts on the sheves. I winter over some bonsai trees and jade plants as well as geraniums, begonias and Gerbera Daisies. In the winter, I use a small space heater (visible on ground in the picture) to keep the temp at 40F during the few cold weeks we experience here. So far it has worked pretty well. If overwintering pepper plants becomes a reality I'll be making more room in the greenhouse! I've started a thread in the Grow Tech forum to discuss issues which crop up with these units.

greenhousepan11a.jpg

January 14, 2012:

Composting:

Okay, I need to do something outside. I know, I'll dig out a compost bin. We've had a little dry cool weather, so the worms have burrowed down, and the compost is crumbly, if a tad wet.

DSCN3318sm.jpg

The first step - dig out the bin and sift the material. I use a homemade frame with a layer of 1/4 inch plastic hardware cloth backed with a layer of one inch mesh poultry netting. The fine stuff goes into the wheelbarrow, the coarse stuff into an adjacent compost bin we're still building up.

DSCN3316sm.jpg

The bin on the left is covered to keep the leafy material dry and fluffy. The dry leaves are an important layer in the compost 'cake'. The bin on the right is the one I'm digging out. Nice, dark and crumbly with lots of worms! The sifter is on the wheelbarrow, and some of the coarse stuff is already on the active compost bin in the middle. The bin in the back is resting for several of months. It has a black plastic hardware cloth cover to keep out squirrels and racoons.

DSCN3321sm.jpg

The bin is all dug out. I left about two inches of broken up compost on the bottom of the hole to create a space for the worms to move into. You can see the bin in the middle has a layer of coarse stuff spread out on the top.

DSCN3323sm.jpg

The last step is to put a nice deep layer of dry leaves on the bin we just dug out. Now that bin will rest for a at least several months or more while the earthworms move into the compost/earth interface and do their work. That will make a great base for the next cycle of composting in this bin. I put a thin layer of leaves on the middle bin, too. Now there's a nice layer cake of dirt/compost, leaves. kitchen scraps. All small yard clippings except grass go into the compost bins, even tomato vines and pepper branches and twigs. I don't even chop stuff up too much. I try to have at least 10 or 12 layers of stuff built up before I cover the bin with a layer of dirt/compost and let the worms work for several months. I'm getting about 12-18 cubic feet of compost from these bins a year. My goal is to become 'soil self-sufficient' at some point, perhaps only having to procure horticultural pumice or vermiculite and some peat moss every so often.

DSCN3322sm.jpg

The good stuff. It will go into a plastic, vented storage bin for at lest eight weeks to cure a bit. Then I mix it with a little peat moss and some vermiculite or pumice for aeration. In my large containers, I add 2 or 3 inches of compost worked into the top of the container only every year. I try not to mix up the soil layers in the big containers very much, letting the nutrients percolate down through the soil as in a natural setting. As the blog continues this summer, I'll include photos of the irrigation system and containers I use to grow my tomatoes and peppers, and a few other things.

Great way to enjoy the pepper paul! Lookin awesome on that meat! Your plants are all lookin great as always. That black pearl is still such a cool looking plant. love that tall winding stem.
Hey, Britt, thanks for looking. Nothing like grilled meat with some heat!
I can't wait to get the BP into a larger container so it can really grow out.
We've been in 6" pots too long!

Good growing, bud.

I know that the Black Prince plants have upright pods paul?? Maybe its a cross ??
I suppose that the Black Prince and Black Pearl are related.
The pics of the Black Pearl I've seen have upright pods. Maybe
these will turn up in the end?

Thanks for visiting, Tripp.

Plants are really looking great Paul, Still love the colors in the Explosive Ember and that Plack Pearl is awesome. My wife wants me to get some seeds for them to use for landscaping the front yard. I said ok but I get to pick the peppers. BBQ looks great. I'm making Sourdough bread tonight so I may have to throw on some pulled pork to go with it.

Keep it spicy Brah,
My mouth is watering, my friend!
I got my seeds from THSC.
I can't wait to see how they look this summer!

Good growing to you, bro!

Awlright Paul! How can you go wrong with pods and BBQ? When I do start "putting my toes in the water" with the really hot stuff I'll probably do it like you did with food. Cheers
Hey, Rick, I have to eat anyway, right? I tried the Bhut Hybrid tonight.
I don't think I could do it without food. Have fun when you start sampling;
a great excuse to eat!

Good summer growin', bro, thanks for looking in.

Paul great review and the food looked great to. The plants look great you just keep posting great shots. I forgot to reply about the Holy Mole on heat range, but I can not provide any information as my grandmother beat me to the punch at eating the three I harvested. She said they weren't hot for her, but she mixed with cheese and roasted them to make quesadilla. I have a few that are getting ready to harvest just another week or two they are bit green still I was going to use them for Mole sauce but with a 7 pod kick.
Your grandmother is sneaky! Good for her. It's cool she digs the hot stuff.
Keep up your good growing habits, Fernando! Thanks for checking in.

Wow, that food looks great. Your use of hot peppers and food together has been magnificent thus far. In fact, perhaps too magnificent. I'm going out on a limb here and calling BS on this whole, "I've never eaten very hot peppers, I can't handle it, I don't know how I'd eat them" stuff. You are obviously very good at this. Too good. You're not fooling me Paul. I'm on to you.
I've been assimilated. Resistance is futile.
:rofl: You are too funny, Andy! I really am stumbling in the dark here.
If it weren't for Jamie's generosity, I'd be eating lettuce.
I still think that eating the really hot ones whole with no food is suspect.

Have a good week, my friend!

yummyyy...
hey paul does the bolivian rainbow gets bigger if its in a bigger pot?
If my memory serves me correctly it should grow to about two or three feet in height.
I'm going to pot it up to at least a five gallon pot.

now THAT is a meal!!! Good work!
Thanks, bro! It was fun to eat!

@ JCR - that egg dish sounds pretty darn good, too, my man :drooling:

Chocolate Habanero Emergency! Looking worse and worse as time goes on.
Chlorosis big time with no response to anything I tried. So:
DSCN4452a.jpg

Root washing time.

Then into fresh soil mix with some mycos and dry molasses to try
for a recovery.the plant never wilted through this whole process.
DSCN4453a-1.jpg

Now just to wait:
DSCN4455a.jpg

1/2 yard of cedar chips.........$23
1/2 yard pumice....................$26
opportunity for back ache......priceless
DSCN4457a.jpg

Tonight was the Bhut Hybrid night. We had cold roast beef sandwiches with some left
over paella. I cut the Bhut up into little rings-sorry about the hand held fuzzy pic:
DSCN4458a.jpg

That's ChileFreak Mexican Pepper powder on the sandwich. The
red in the rice is the Bhut:
DSCN4459a.jpg

Okay, this is another level of heat. There wasn't so much an increase
of burn on the tongue or mouth and lips, but my nose was runnin' like a
river, and I was breathing through my mouth and starting to sweat a little.
Between the Bhut and the powder, my lips were really tingling. This time
the burn subsided rather quickly; didn't linger like the yellow 7. It would
be tough to pick a favorite so far. The yellow 7 had the most kick I think.
All of them taste great, and are really good with food.

Thanks for checking in, everyone. Will see you in your grow logs soon!
Good growing!

Nice job downing the supers brother! I "enjoyed" the ones I ate with food...and the ones I ate straight up. Difference is with food I enjoy the burn/flavor and what it adds to the dish. Straight up...I don't so much enjoy the burn or flavor, but the endorphin rush it great! Lookin great Paul, keep up the great work. Back to the land of internet only by phone until Friday, will check in when I can bud.

Shane

Hehe .... superhots are such great fun to eat and taste amazing to boot ... nothing like a good endorphin rush simply from eating a food you love .... what other food can you say that about ... (well legal foods)

every time i stop by at your glog i end up getting hungry..happy eating :hell: and growing
You'll have to put together a luau!
Nice job downing the supers brother! I "enjoyed" the ones I ate with food...and the ones I ate straight up. Difference is with food I enjoy the burn/flavor and what it adds to the dish. Well said
Straight up...I don't so much enjoy the burn or flavor, but the endorphin rush it great! Lookin great Paul, keep up the great work. Back to the land of internet only by phone until Friday, will check in when I can bud.

Shane
Thanks, Shane; keep a lid on that barracks, bro :D
Hehe .... superhots are such great fun to eat and taste amazing to boot ... nothing like a good endorphin rush simply from eating a food you love .... what other food can you say that about ... (well legal foods)
Good point; they add a whole new dimension to a meal, for sure!

Speaking of eating, Tonight was chili night, so I figured the Bhut Red would be a good choioce. Why?
I have no idea. It just looks cool:
DSCN4463a.jpg

I cut the stem and calyx off and licked the pepper on the calyx. Instant heat!
Not much because it was a tiny amount, but immediate. When I
cut it open, the inside was shiny with oil:
DSCN4466a.jpg

I saved most of the seeds for next season:
DSCN4467a.jpg

I just put the raw peppers on top of the hot chile, no cooking:
DSCN4469a.jpg

I ate a few bites of chili before eating the half of the Bhut on the top. Wow.
Total instant tongue and mouth burn; my jaw joints even felt it a bit. About a
minute after I swallowed it, I had 10 or 12 hiccups in a row! The heat held on
while I ate some more chili, then I ate the other half in two bites.
The burn didn't really increase, but I was blowing my nose and my sinuses
felt the heat a little; the mouth and lip burn lasted quite a while and I was
sweating some. The flavor was good with the chili, a fruity counterbalance
to the chili flavor.

Not much news on the pepper front today. We have a series of decent night
temps coming, so I am going to do some more planting out tomorrow. Will
have some pics following. Everything is forking and flowering rapidly with the
warmer temps; gotta get these babies planted!

Good growing to all!

I have never eaten anything hotter than a hab.. I cant wait till my babies start to grow. good growing Paul, just checkin in to see how your doing.. that Chili has me jealous not to mention the bhut.. ahahaaaa

Great updates as usual Paul. Great way too enjoy the supers. I am very impressed with your chili tolerance. Guess I am gonna need to grow some Douglah's and Butch T's to really make you sweat ;) . Wait I already am so be ready in a few months :hot:

I have never eaten anything hotter than a hab.. I cant wait till my babies start to grow. good growing Paul, just checkin in to see how your doing.. that Chili has me jealous not to mention the bhut.. ahahaaaa
Thanks for checking in, Sanarda! My hottest until this year were Serranos.
They vary a lot, but I've had one or two fresh off the bush that really lit up
my mouth! I'm looking forward to some of myown pods, too. Thanks to
Romy6 for giving me a really nice preview with a great sampling of peppers!

Good growing to you, bud!
Great updates as usual Paul. Great way too enjoy the supers. I am very impressed with your chili tolerance. Guess I am gonna need to grow some Douglah's and Butch T's to really make you sweat ;) . Wait I already am so be ready in a few months :hot:
Thanks, Jamie. I am enjoying your peppers immensely! Eating them with
food makes it a little easier for me to digest, although it didn't stop the
hiccups from the Bhut Red ;) That was funny. First time that has ever happened!

You did send me a Douglah Hybrid, that will be my next trial.
After that, it's just the Choc Bhut and the Brain left to try. Shudder :fireball:
I do have a couple of Datils, an aji limon and some mystery
annuums left that I'd like to use in a dish of some kind.

Thanks for visiting, Jamie. Hope everything is well with you in Flo!

choc hab emergency update please???? were the roots bad cuz thats what the roots looked like on my naga. and the stem . no green

Hey Paul...playing glog catch up...with deathly slow internet...BUT I do have 2 gallon baggies full of ripe Chinense to placate myself with this trip!The "Food and Garden" log has me hungry...always a great combo , and easier on the insides as well, and ..oh Hell-I'm a foodie as well as a chilihead, so keep up the good work!Get them babies in the ground!...and the Yellow 7 is hard to beat,probably my favorite, though it doesn't really match beef(chocolates and reds for beef).Color matching seems to work well with the pepper and foods combos I find, even works for sauce ingredients.The last 3 mentioned are all good ceviche peppers..........till next time,great growing!

choc hab emergency update please???? were the roots bad cuz thats what the roots looked like on my naga. and the stem . no green
Hey, Sanarda, thanks for dropping in. Funny you should ask:
DSCN4475a.jpg

The day after the root washing, the plant dropped all of its leaves.
It looked like the process had already begin as the excision marks
looked dry. The stem is still green, though, and every node has a
little growth bud on it. I'm keeping a close eye on it.

Hey Paul...playing glog catch up...with deathly slow internet...BUT I do have 2 gallon baggies full of ripe Chinense to placate myself with this trip!The "Food and Garden" log has me hungry...always a great combo , and easier on the insides as well, and ..oh Hell-I'm a foodie as well as a chilihead, so keep up the good work!Get them babies in the ground!...and the Yellow 7 is hard to beat,probably my favorite, though it doesn't really match beef(chocolates and reds for beef).Color matching seems to work well with the pepper and foods combos I find, even works for sauce ingredients.The last 3 mentioned are all good ceviche peppers..........till next time,great growing!
Hey gunner, thanks for looking; hope those chinense fill the bill! I finally have quite a few plants in containers or raised beds - 7 or 8 more to put in 5 gal. pots. The Yellow 7 is a good one, allright. I had a Douglah hybrid tonight. Whooeee! Here are some 7 gallon pot ups:
DSCN4471a.jpg

Douglah hybrid, tonight's dinner accompaniment:
DSCN4476a.jpg

Cut in 4 pieces. When I cut open the Douglah, it had a very
intense scent:
DSCN4478a.jpg

Tuna casserole. Nothing fancy, but the peppers made the meal!
DSCN4480a.jpg

Same routine as usual. Had a few bites of food before eating the first quarter.
Almost immediately, major back of tongue burn and forehead sweating. The
burn stayed intense from this point on. A few bites of food later, I had another
quarter. the sweating increased, and my nose started running. The burn spread
to the rest of my mouth and lips. At 12 minutes into the meal, I ate the third quarter,
and the back of my throat started to burn and my face was sweating and I was
mouth breathing again! My nose kept running and my eyes were watering a bit.
At about 21 minutes, I ate the last piece. Surprisingly, I felt very little heat in
comparison to the other pieces, but the flushed, sweaty feeling lasted another 20 minutes.

This was definitely the hottest yet, hotter than the yellow 7, and very aromatic and flavorful.
So, the Yellow 7 and the Douglah hybrid are the winners so far! The last two to try are the
Chocolate Bhut and the Brain. Oh yeah.

I'm going to try to finish planting out and transplanting some seedlings this weekend.
Hope everybody gets a lot of gardening done!

hey Paul.. I am going to put pics on my Glog later today or a vid.. to show you just what im dealing with. :( these are my only two naga morich and I want them to grow

Great job on the Douglah X brotha! I haven't had one of those yet, but the way you describe it sounds like the Barrackpore I ate...I have several little pods on my Douglah so it won't be long! :dance: The tomato trellises are an idea I was dabbling with for next season, so I am glad you are using them. Hopefully I can gather some intel from you this season to know if they are the way to go! I went extra fancy and just used sticks from all the bushes I trimmed around the yard to stake them...you wouldn't be able to do this being the Sensei of clone, all the sticks would start growing under your hand!

Love your garden pics a place for everything and everything in its place! Once they are all grown up your yard will be a place of beauty! Kinda like a botanical garden straight out of a horror movie! You should set them up in a hedgerow maze just like the shining!

Shane

hey Paul.. I am going to put pics on my Glog later today or a vid.. to show you just what im dealing with. :( these are my only two naga morich and I want them to grow
Okay. I think that if the stem is green and firm, you still have a chance.
Once the stem starts fo soften and darken, it's usually over. i checked
the choc. hab this morning, and the little growth buds are still green and
fuzzy. If it can hang on for a week, I think it might make it.

Mmmm.... Your dinners are making me drool Paul.
Must be the peppers; I'm not much of a cook!
Have a good weekend, bro!

Great job on the Douglah X brotha! I haven't had one of those yet, but the way you describe it sounds like the Barrackpore I ate...I have several little pods on my Douglah so it won't be long! :dance:
That sounds great! You have a treat coming - I think the Douglah is the best tasting so far to my uneducated palate.
The tomato trellises are an idea I was dabbling with for next season, so I am glad you are using them. Hopefully I can gather some intel from you this season to know if they are the way to go! I went extra fancy and just used sticks from all the bushes I trimmed around the yard to stake them...you wouldn't be able to do this being the Sensei of clone, all the sticks would start growing under your hand!
You are too funny, my friend :rofl: I was going to use a bunch of bamboo stakes I have, but then thought "Shane would be so disappointed", so used the tomato cages. I have used them with my peppers for a couple of years. They work okay - not the most stable. Sometimes they need to be guyed out to the edge of the pot to keep from falling over with talls like the Serranos.
Love your garden pics a place for everything and everything in its place! Once they are all grown up your yard will be a place of beauty! Kinda like a botanical garden straight out of a horror :lol: movie! You should set them up in a hedgerow maze just like the shining!

Shane
Thanks for looking in, shane. Hope your time in the barracks wasn't horrible.
Have a great weekend, my friend!

Honestly, the entertainment value of you getting a box of peppers has been so high. Well done!
Thanks, Andy, I'm glad you are enjoying the show (sans video ;) )
Still two more to go. I'm starting to get nervous!

Hope your garden is rockin' along, bud.
Summer is coming!

Your glog makes me hungry...
Good thing it's always luau there!
Good growing to you, Pinoy!

Back