• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

PaulG 2012

I'm chomping at the bit to get started with some new chilli varieties this coming Spring. So far I've just scratched the surface with Poblanos, Jalapenos and Serranos, all of which I really like. I've been egged on by a new Second Generation Mejicano neighbor as we've talked about hot chillis over the back fence! He helped me make some Pico de Gallo with my Serranos and Early Girl tomatoes and has some great recipes from his mother and grandmother. Hopefully I'll be able to share some of them on this forum in the future. I need to grow more Cilantro. Oh yeah!

I've ordered seed from several sources which received at least a few good comments on this forum (6/12 - items crossed out did not germ, or weren't planted this year):

US Hot Stuff:
Bolivian Rainbow
Yellow Peter
Nosegay
Trinidad Scorpion (from Spankycolts)
Devil Tongue

The Hippy Seed Company: Seed Packet Mixes
NuMex Twilight (from Siliman)
Yellow Jellybeans
Tom Thumbs
Wild Texas Tepin

Refining Fire: Seed Packet Mix
Scotch Bonnet
Chocolate Habanero
Jamaican Red Mushroom

New Mexico State University:
Chiltepin
Omnicolor
Red Carribean Habanero
Orange Habanero

Pepper Gal:
Aji Yellow (request from a Peruvian friend of ours!)
Thai Hot

Peppermania:
Inca Lost
Fatali
White Habanero (from Spanky)
Red Savina (cross with Fatali, from Spanky)
Bishop's Crown
Inca Red Drop
Orange Rocoto
Congo Trinidad

I doubt I will be able to try all of these out this year, but I have saved my seeds in small glass jars with tight-fitting lids for storage over the next year. I have been saving seed from other garden produce and have had good luck with germinating them after two or even three years. The jars are stored in boxes in the garage for a cool dark location for them. I have ordered several compact varieties with an eye toward trying to winter over some of my plants this year. Since I didn't even know peppers were perennial, I can say I've already learned something from this forum!

I purchased a small greenhouse from One Stop Gardens (via Harbor Freight) for $300 four years ago. This is one of the greenhouse kits I've noticed in the greenhouse advertsing bar at the bottom of some of the pages on this forum. This picture is from Spring/ Summer 2011. You can see my tomato and pepper starts on the sheves. I winter over some bonsai trees and jade plants as well as geraniums, begonias and Gerbera Daisies. In the winter, I use a small space heater (visible on ground in the picture) to keep the temp at 40F during the few cold weeks we experience here. So far it has worked pretty well. If overwintering pepper plants becomes a reality I'll be making more room in the greenhouse! I've started a thread in the Grow Tech forum to discuss issues which crop up with these units.

greenhousepan11a.jpg

January 14, 2012:

Composting:

Okay, I need to do something outside. I know, I'll dig out a compost bin. We've had a little dry cool weather, so the worms have burrowed down, and the compost is crumbly, if a tad wet.

DSCN3318sm.jpg

The first step - dig out the bin and sift the material. I use a homemade frame with a layer of 1/4 inch plastic hardware cloth backed with a layer of one inch mesh poultry netting. The fine stuff goes into the wheelbarrow, the coarse stuff into an adjacent compost bin we're still building up.

DSCN3316sm.jpg

The bin on the left is covered to keep the leafy material dry and fluffy. The dry leaves are an important layer in the compost 'cake'. The bin on the right is the one I'm digging out. Nice, dark and crumbly with lots of worms! The sifter is on the wheelbarrow, and some of the coarse stuff is already on the active compost bin in the middle. The bin in the back is resting for several of months. It has a black plastic hardware cloth cover to keep out squirrels and racoons.

DSCN3321sm.jpg

The bin is all dug out. I left about two inches of broken up compost on the bottom of the hole to create a space for the worms to move into. You can see the bin in the middle has a layer of coarse stuff spread out on the top.

DSCN3323sm.jpg

The last step is to put a nice deep layer of dry leaves on the bin we just dug out. Now that bin will rest for a at least several months or more while the earthworms move into the compost/earth interface and do their work. That will make a great base for the next cycle of composting in this bin. I put a thin layer of leaves on the middle bin, too. Now there's a nice layer cake of dirt/compost, leaves. kitchen scraps. All small yard clippings except grass go into the compost bins, even tomato vines and pepper branches and twigs. I don't even chop stuff up too much. I try to have at least 10 or 12 layers of stuff built up before I cover the bin with a layer of dirt/compost and let the worms work for several months. I'm getting about 12-18 cubic feet of compost from these bins a year. My goal is to become 'soil self-sufficient' at some point, perhaps only having to procure horticultural pumice or vermiculite and some peat moss every so often.

DSCN3322sm.jpg

The good stuff. It will go into a plastic, vented storage bin for at lest eight weeks to cure a bit. Then I mix it with a little peat moss and some vermiculite or pumice for aeration. In my large containers, I add 2 or 3 inches of compost worked into the top of the container only every year. I try not to mix up the soil layers in the big containers very much, letting the nutrients percolate down through the soil as in a natural setting. As the blog continues this summer, I'll include photos of the irrigation system and containers I use to grow my tomatoes and peppers, and a few other things.

Congratulations on your pods! I found my first one today too, but wasn't as exciting as yours. It was just a TAM Jalapeno on a plant I overwintered. Just about all of the plants have buds on them now though, so it won't be long before I have pods to show off!

WOOHOO! A Hottie pod! It is gonna set off a chain reaction. You have a great looking yard. I agree, you could use a few more raised beds....maybe where all that grass is....:lol:

Also, Congrats on the Pube! I always heard they are very touchy.

looking good paul...and your backyard is awesome i wish i have one like that, and your babies are well caged they will be a happy camper when they load up

Paul,

What a beautiful peaceful place, backyard full of your favorites, what more could one ask for.

I wish I had a fenced in area like you have, you did it right too, nice layout and gorgeous peppers.

Must be nice to sit with your favorite beverage on the patio and admire your work at the end of the day.

Ghosty...
Thanks, Ghosty, I appreciate the kind words and your visit. We live
in a subdivision, so there are fences around all the back yards/gardens.
We have a common area, really a drainage swale behind our house,
so we have a really private feeling in the back yard even though folk
are only 20 yards away!

But yes, you are right. Sitting on the deck with a nice beverage is one of
my greatest pleasures. I can't wait for the summer to get going so I can
do it more often. If you are ever in the Portland area, you have an open
invite to join us! As do all THP folk!

Good growing to you, my friend!

Congratulations on your pods! I found my first one today too, but wasn't as exciting as yours. It was just a TAM Jalapeno on a plant I overwintered. Just about all of the plants have buds on them now though, so it won't be long before I have pods to show off!
Yay, Bonnie. Once the first sets, I'm thinking it's just hang on for the ride.
Your hard work growing in the high desert will be iconic. I couldn't even
get a compost pile going on the east side, it was so windy and dry, everything
just dessicated on the ground and sat there!

We're pullin' for you, girl!

And you are a page topper!
WOOHOO! A Hottie pod! Who-hoo! It is gonna set off a chain reaction. You have a great looking yard. I agree, you could use a few more raised beds....maybe where all that grass is.... :lol: Haha, I want to live!

Also, Congrats on the Pube! I always heard they are very touchy.
Beginners luck, I'm afraid. Although the Manzano I got from
Shane is doing great. Nice squat bushy little seedling. I think
I like growing the stranger varieties. The wilds and pubes and
other weird species just intrigue me to no end. I'm excited to
grow out the Cumari Pollux and the Goat's Weed, especially.
Like Shane said, the hairy and gnarly stuff suits me!
From what I read, the pubescens should be well suited to our
climate here.

Thanks for droppin' in, Matt.

looking good paul...and your backyard is awesome i wish i have one like that,
Hey, you get to live in the biggest garden on earth! and your babies are well
caged they will be a happy camper when they load up
I hope so, Pinoy. So far the cages have been good protection
from the wind we've been having, and I think it will be easy to
tie branches off to them when necessary. If the plant gets too
big, they aren't that stable, so they have to be tied off somehow.

Wow. i just read through a bunch of your adventures in the world of pepper tasting. That Romy is a good egg. I am really impressed with you as a 66 year old man trying these hot peppers for the first time! Damn Paul. You are a really interesting fellow. All the guys I know in their 60s are pretty set in their ways. I hope to be as flexible as you when I reach retirement. You bring a child like wonder to your projects and that, my friend, is a rare thing to hold onto!

NOW EAT THAT DAMN BRAIN STRAIN. (I actually thought the Barrackpore was hotter).

This isn't really an update, but more of a plea. I am envious of those
of you who have a growing community close by, especially the Aussie
bros and sisters, and the SoFlo and SanDiego crews. Even the Pennsylvania group!

So this is for anyone who lives in the Portland/Beaverton/Aloah/Hillsboro westside
area of Oregon: Please speak up! I have lost Wildfirefighter, Hotjohn9, and
Spankycolts - haven't heard from them in a while. I'm hungry for some compañeros(as)
to talk chile with, and to get together for a brew or a glass of wine, and maybe even
eat some hot peppers!

Waiting patiently.

Wow. i just read through a bunch of your adventures in the world of pepper tasting. That Romy is a good egg. I am really impressed with you as a 66 year old man trying these hot peppers for the first time! Damn Paul. You are a really interesting fellow. All the guys I know in their 60s are pretty set in their ways. I hope to be as flexible as you when I reach retirement. You bring a child like wonder to your projects and that, my friend, is a rare thing to hold onto!

NOW EAT THAT DAMN BRAIN STRAIN. (I actually thought the Barrackpore was hotter).
Right on Seth! It's going down with a piece of pizza tonight!
And thank you for the kind words - I have a feeling you will be
a wild and crazy fellow long past your 60's, my friend!

Yes, Romy6 is one of a kind. We're lucky to have a THP member who is so willing to kill us all :onfire:

Good growin' to you, brah!

Excellent looking backyard setup Paul. We live in a Condo Association, so I can relate to having neighbors very close by. One of the reasons my garden is so small is that's all I could get the other members to agree to since it comes out of the common space. Chileheads are kind of thin on the ground here too. I have one neighbor who likes hot stuff but he's a young father with a two-year-old and a newborn and his time is not his own. We're pullin' for ya...
Glad to hear you've got most of your babies in the ground and beginning to throw out flowers. Spring has FINALLY sprung and you're on the back stretch to summer. I'll be interested in seeing what you make of your harvest. Cheers!

Excellent looking backyard setup Paul. We live in a Condo Association, so I can relate to having neighbors very close by. One of the reasons my garden is so small is that's all I could get the other members to agree to since it comes out of the common space. Chileheads are kind of thin on the ground here too. I have one neighbor who likes hot stuff but he's a young father with a two-year-old and a newborn and his time is not his own. We're pullin' for ya...
Glad to hear you've got most of your babies in the ground and beginning to throw out flowers. Spring has FINALLY sprung and you're on the back stretch to summer. I'll be interested in seeing what you make of your harvest. Cheers!
Thanks, Rick, it has evolved into a decent space to work and relax in.
Too much of the former. Too little of the latter ;) .
We have several young families in our neighborhood, as well.
Yes, their lives have changed! For the better, of course! You'll
have to take the young lad under your wing : )

Spring seems to be creeping in on soft cat paws.
I want it to come in like a roarin' locomotive!

I hope I have enough of a harvest to share with folks on the forum.
You would be at the top o' the list, my friend, although I know you
are pretty specific in your grow.

Paul what soil should I use if I need to use the root grow??.. My morouga and my last trinidad scorp are stunted. I think they have a root issue.

The Brain is dead! Long live the Brain!

Whoo, man. Brain, quartered and halved. Some pieces with placenta, others without.
Very pungent. Not fruity, I guess, I don't know how to describe it. It just smelled hot :hell:
I forgot to take a pic of the pepper before i cut it up. Senior moment:
DSCN4513a.jpg

This is for you, Pinoy:
DSCN4515a.jpg

Forgot to take a pic before i started eating. Senior moment 2. I know it's not pizza,
Seth, but my spouse made dinner before I had a chance to. How cool is that?

The aftermath. Notice there is food left over:
DSCN4518a.jpg

OMG. Jamie, you really did it this time. Gadzooks, I ate an hour ago,
and I'm still feeling it! I thought a bite-by-bite description would be appropriate.
Eaten with and between bites of food.

Bite 1: Instant heat, tongue back and sides. Nose starts to run. One bite? Really?
Bite 2: Front of tongue involved, nose speeds up a bit.
Bite 3: Eyes water a little, more runny nose.
Bite 4: Stomach starting to feel it, right at the top, under the diaphragm, forehead
sweating a little, nose, nose, nose.​
Bite 5: More sweat, more nose, eyes watering more. My eating is really slowing down.
Lots of time between bites of food. I'm getting full already. The burn seems kind of maxed out.​
More bites don't equal more burn. A little more sensation in the stomach.​
Bite 6: A little more stomach discomfort, more nose running.
Bite 7: More stomach, more nose run, a real bump in the heat 'cuz the seventh bite had a
boatload of placenta in it!​
Bite 8: No placenta, no more heat bump evident.

Okay, it's 8:44, and I started eating at 7:00. I finished about an hour ago, and I am still feeling throat burn (don't cough!) and my stomach is still unsure about how much it liked this pepper. This is the only one to affect my stomach this way. I had hiccups with one of the others, but not this one. Shane, I can imagine how you felt eating this 'living hell' outright! My stomach would have revolted if i ate it w/o a buffer of some kind. Jamie, if the heat has subsided with age in the fridge, Good Lord. This is definitely the hottest of the pepper I've tried. Hotter than the Cardi Scorp and the Yellow 7, I think. The effects of the pepper built throughout the meal, each bite of the fruit upping the ante a bit, and are much longer lasting than with the other peppers. I alternated pieces with and without placenta to spread it out a little. My throat is still feeling some burn, and I want to take a nap.

In a more general way, I have noticed that having hot peppers with my meal really slows down my eating. Trying to breath between bites, I guess : ) I also eat less when I'm eating hot peppers. I don't know why, but it can't be a bad thing. My stomach is still feeling a bit weird, not quite crampy, just unsettled, but not puking or anything like that.

Absolutely great, Jamie. Thanks!

And that's the way it is. Good night all.

Paul what soil should I use if I need to use the root grow??.. My morouga and my last trinidad scorp are stunted. I think they have a root issue.
Hi Sanarda. I'm really not an expert about the different kinds of soils
and potting mixes. I'm sure there are others who will chime in here.
I think the main thing is that it be loose, hold moisture, drain well, and
dry out without getting soggy. I mix my own potting mix from compost,
peat (although I'm considering coco fiber since peat is really a non-renewable
resource, and some countries could really use the economy provided by
harvesting the sustainable coco resources), and pumice, although you
can use perlite or vermiculite instead. Most folk here seem to prefer perlite.
I don't really know the difference.

This probably isn't helpful, but if you post a thread with this topic in Growing Hot Peppers,
you will gets lots more responses to your question.

Good luck with your moruga and scorp. Repotting might be a good idea if they are stunted.

WOW!!! Your plants are throwin em on now! Dang man. Your my hero! Its easy for me to write off the southern or california guys with there nice weather but your is about the same as mine so i know what it takes to have plants that healthy. And yours look perfect!

What a great description of your experience! the blow by bite description was great. it also cemented in my brain that i dont want any part of that pepper!

WOW!!! Your plants are throwin em on now! Dang man. Your my hero! Its easy for me to write off the southern or california guys with there nice weather but your is about the same as mine so i know what it takes to have plants that healthy. And yours look perfect!

What a great description of your experience! the blow by bite description was great. it also cemented in my brain that i dont want any part of that pepper!
Britt! Thanks for visiting, brah! Your 'hero' definition must be pretty loose :D
Your are very generous with your comments, my friend, much appreciated.
The plants aren't perfect, but (knock on wood :pray: ) so far have avoided any
disaster. As bad as I felt for the folk with the bac spot infection, I don't know
if I could handle it! Growing where you and I do has it's advantages. I cringe
when I see all the pests that abound in the Southern Climes - we have a few aphids
and caterpillars. White flies are probably my biggest nuisance - they attack only
the new growth on my rhododendrons.

That Brain was the hottest so far, and had the most lingering effects. By eating it
with some food I was able to 'enjoy' the heat and 'flavor'. I always feel weird
breathing with my mouth open while I'm eating! I'll probably not try to down
superhots whole; if they can bring down career soldiers I'm not sure how great
that is :lol: I hope you will consider trying some of them with some meals - that
really does make a lot of difference, at least in my own mind. And you will have
some nice, fresh pods to try. I'm looking forward to that!

Anyway, this has been a great ride. I've tasted peppers I didn't even know existed
last year, and now feel like i have at least an idea what we are dealing with here.

@ Jamie: Thanks, and thanks again. Your generosity is well known.

Aight Paul...Was that a Nugent reference? "[background=rgb(255, 244, 228)]The Brain is dead! Long live the Brain!" He uses that phrase often in his cookey hunting vids. I really like Ted, he has an interesting view of the world. A bit over the top, but funny.[/background]
[background=rgb(255, 244, 228)]Great job on the Brain...Jamie I think Paul is ready for the next GNARLY Barrackpore you get! I got one going now too...so either way you are in for one![/background]

[background=rgb(255, 244, 228)]Your backyard is absolutely stunning! I have been waiting for a shot that lays it all out in my head for a long time. I knew it was going to be a thing of beauty from the little snippets I could catch through your pics. Its almost like all a tiny arena with the containers lined up in stadium-like seating to watch the show in the raised beds in the center. [/background]

Aight Paul...Was that a Nugent reference? "[background=rgb(255, 244, 228)]The Brain is dead! Long live the Brain!" He uses that phrase often in his cookey hunting vids. I really like Ted, he has an interesting view of the world. A bit over the top, but funny.[/background]
I like Mr. Rude, too, but I wasn't clever enough to be thinking about that when I wrote this! His hunting vids are cool.
[background=rgb(255, 244, 228)]Great job on the Brain...Jamie I think Paul is ready for the next GNARLY Barrackpore you get! I got one going now too...so either way you are in for one![/background]
You guys are killing me! With kindness. I think you just want some company. 'Misery loves company'! :D
[background=rgb(255, 244, 228)]Your backyard is absolutely stunning! I have been waiting for a shot that lays it all out in my head for a long time. I knew it was going to be a thing of beauty from the little snippets I could catch through your pics. Its almost like all a tiny arena with the containers lined up in stadium-like seating to watch the show in the raised beds in the center. [/background]
Thanks, Shane, that is high praise from a master gardener! That's a
great metaphor (simile?) It has just kind of evolved into what it is.
Never had a master plan, just a bunch of 'projects' strung out over the years!

Thanks for the visit, my friend; have a great weekend!

Rainy and cloudy again today. At least I can say that
we got a few sun breaks yesterday afternoon. The pepps
are hanging on in fairly good shape, but the color is not as
nice as it was. Some of the plants on the hardening shelf
and underneath it are protected from direct rain, but the yard
plants are getting it all. Just hoping for no more below 40
nights. Nightly lows next 10 days don't look too bad: 48, 45,
52, 59!, 55, 52, 52, 48, 48, 55. Rain in forecast for only three
of those days (in red); we'll see what we actually get. If the
forecast stays this way, I won't be too bummed out. Oh yeah,
highs: 63, 70, 75, 81!, 75, 70, 72, 70, 70, 73. Not bad if it
actually comes true! Would be just about perfect for the plants.
Cloudy, mostly cloudy, partly cloudy every day, so not huge
amounts of sun unless it can burn off the overcast.

edit: Haha we just had a .2 inches of rain in five minutes.
I'm glad it didn't rain for two hours!​

Brother Paul. You have handled almost the entire romy6 pepper expo like a champ. Very very impressive :onfire:

I have a big fat Barrackpore with your name all over it. It is ripening as we speak. :party: ( you can thank Shane when your all huddled over on the floor in severe stomach pain). Oh wait that was me the first time I ate a barrackpore :rofl:

Your backyard looks amazing. If I had your organizational slash OCD ;) ness my wife might not give me such a hard time about all my peppers.

Keep on keeping on.

Brother Paul. You have handled almost the entire romy6 pepper expo like a champ. Very very impressive :onfire:
Thanks, Jamie. I feel kind of like a wus for not downing it whole, but I'm comfortable with that : )
I have a big fat Barrackpore with your name all over it. It is ripening as we speak. :party: ( you can thank Shane when your all huddled over on the floor in severe stomach pain). Oh wait that was me the first time I ate a barrackpore :rofl:
Gee, that sounds just great!
Your backyard looks amazing. If I had your organizational slash OCD ;) ness That is not far from the truth :D my wife might not give me such a hard time about all my peppers.

Keep on keeping on.
Thanks, man, always good to hear from you. Have a great weekend.

Bwahahahahahahahahahahahahhaha!!!!!
They are the most BRUTAL thing I have ever ingested...and they taste like soap to me???

I only started one of these monsters so I could give them away or take some to work for all the macho Sailors that love to laugh at my vids...they're in for some PAIN, and you are too my friend!!! Going to be interesting to compare the ones I grow from my nursery to those Jamie has sent! TTYL my brother! I have a Chocolate Bhut and Scorpion to eat. :dance:

TTYL my brother! I have a Chocolate Bhut and Scorpion to eat. :dance:
Bhut and Scorpion! Dude, you are too awesome!
Enjoy to the max, and have a good weekend, my friend.

Paul the yard is absolutely beautiful and the plants too! Are you sure it's not sunny over there?? lol. You should have a nice harvest in no time :)

Back