• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

PaulG 2012

I'm chomping at the bit to get started with some new chilli varieties this coming Spring. So far I've just scratched the surface with Poblanos, Jalapenos and Serranos, all of which I really like. I've been egged on by a new Second Generation Mejicano neighbor as we've talked about hot chillis over the back fence! He helped me make some Pico de Gallo with my Serranos and Early Girl tomatoes and has some great recipes from his mother and grandmother. Hopefully I'll be able to share some of them on this forum in the future. I need to grow more Cilantro. Oh yeah!

I've ordered seed from several sources which received at least a few good comments on this forum (6/12 - items crossed out did not germ, or weren't planted this year):

US Hot Stuff:
Bolivian Rainbow
Yellow Peter
Nosegay
Trinidad Scorpion (from Spankycolts)
Devil Tongue

The Hippy Seed Company: Seed Packet Mixes
NuMex Twilight (from Siliman)
Yellow Jellybeans
Tom Thumbs
Wild Texas Tepin

Refining Fire: Seed Packet Mix
Scotch Bonnet
Chocolate Habanero
Jamaican Red Mushroom

New Mexico State University:
Chiltepin
Omnicolor
Red Carribean Habanero
Orange Habanero

Pepper Gal:
Aji Yellow (request from a Peruvian friend of ours!)
Thai Hot

Peppermania:
Inca Lost
Fatali
White Habanero (from Spanky)
Red Savina (cross with Fatali, from Spanky)
Bishop's Crown
Inca Red Drop
Orange Rocoto
Congo Trinidad

I doubt I will be able to try all of these out this year, but I have saved my seeds in small glass jars with tight-fitting lids for storage over the next year. I have been saving seed from other garden produce and have had good luck with germinating them after two or even three years. The jars are stored in boxes in the garage for a cool dark location for them. I have ordered several compact varieties with an eye toward trying to winter over some of my plants this year. Since I didn't even know peppers were perennial, I can say I've already learned something from this forum!

I purchased a small greenhouse from One Stop Gardens (via Harbor Freight) for $300 four years ago. This is one of the greenhouse kits I've noticed in the greenhouse advertsing bar at the bottom of some of the pages on this forum. This picture is from Spring/ Summer 2011. You can see my tomato and pepper starts on the sheves. I winter over some bonsai trees and jade plants as well as geraniums, begonias and Gerbera Daisies. In the winter, I use a small space heater (visible on ground in the picture) to keep the temp at 40F during the few cold weeks we experience here. So far it has worked pretty well. If overwintering pepper plants becomes a reality I'll be making more room in the greenhouse! I've started a thread in the Grow Tech forum to discuss issues which crop up with these units.

greenhousepan11a.jpg

January 14, 2012:

Composting:

Okay, I need to do something outside. I know, I'll dig out a compost bin. We've had a little dry cool weather, so the worms have burrowed down, and the compost is crumbly, if a tad wet.

DSCN3318sm.jpg

The first step - dig out the bin and sift the material. I use a homemade frame with a layer of 1/4 inch plastic hardware cloth backed with a layer of one inch mesh poultry netting. The fine stuff goes into the wheelbarrow, the coarse stuff into an adjacent compost bin we're still building up.

DSCN3316sm.jpg

The bin on the left is covered to keep the leafy material dry and fluffy. The dry leaves are an important layer in the compost 'cake'. The bin on the right is the one I'm digging out. Nice, dark and crumbly with lots of worms! The sifter is on the wheelbarrow, and some of the coarse stuff is already on the active compost bin in the middle. The bin in the back is resting for several of months. It has a black plastic hardware cloth cover to keep out squirrels and racoons.

DSCN3321sm.jpg

The bin is all dug out. I left about two inches of broken up compost on the bottom of the hole to create a space for the worms to move into. You can see the bin in the middle has a layer of coarse stuff spread out on the top.

DSCN3323sm.jpg

The last step is to put a nice deep layer of dry leaves on the bin we just dug out. Now that bin will rest for a at least several months or more while the earthworms move into the compost/earth interface and do their work. That will make a great base for the next cycle of composting in this bin. I put a thin layer of leaves on the middle bin, too. Now there's a nice layer cake of dirt/compost, leaves. kitchen scraps. All small yard clippings except grass go into the compost bins, even tomato vines and pepper branches and twigs. I don't even chop stuff up too much. I try to have at least 10 or 12 layers of stuff built up before I cover the bin with a layer of dirt/compost and let the worms work for several months. I'm getting about 12-18 cubic feet of compost from these bins a year. My goal is to become 'soil self-sufficient' at some point, perhaps only having to procure horticultural pumice or vermiculite and some peat moss every so often.

DSCN3322sm.jpg

The good stuff. It will go into a plastic, vented storage bin for at lest eight weeks to cure a bit. Then I mix it with a little peat moss and some vermiculite or pumice for aeration. In my large containers, I add 2 or 3 inches of compost worked into the top of the container only every year. I try not to mix up the soil layers in the big containers very much, letting the nutrients percolate down through the soil as in a natural setting. As the blog continues this summer, I'll include photos of the irrigation system and containers I use to grow my tomatoes and peppers, and a few other things.

I love the Aji Lemons myself. I think they go incredibly well with fish personally. Plus they are fantastic producers
Thanks for the tip, brah. We eat a bit of salmon here in PacNW,
so maybe I need to grow some of those!
Paul! I hope your weather breaks and gives your babies some good sun soon! Nice use of the peppers. The more acclimated you become to the heat, the easier it will be to pair with certain foods. You will notice distinct flavors pre burn and start thinking of how well this could go with that. Anyway, I hope you have a dehydrator and a vacuum sealer because you are going to be swimming in pods soon.
That is definitely something I need to look into. Never dried anything before. But need some way to preserve these guys.
A tip from last season - always cut them in half before freezing. Sometimes on the thin walled peppers there are surprises you won't catch otherwise - like mold or bugs. Also, when you pull one out of the freezer, you only have to run it under warm water for a minute and it will be ready to cook with. You probably already know this stuff but I just thought of it while reading your GLOG and figured I'd share it anyway.
Nah, thanks for the tip. I'm not that great in the kitchen, so this is helpful. Thanks, bro!
Good growin', Seth!
Hey Paul! I had 4 out of 6 of the Peruvian Yellow Aji Pop, and they have their first set of true leaves... Growing like crazy on my front porch... going to need to pot them up in the next week or two. The copious amounts of rain doesn't seem to have phased them at all. Nor the fact they are only getting dappled sun.

The other two cups of seed were in a slightly different spot, and I think one of them might have been getting more water as a result, and the other one, I'm not sure about it might have been a dud. But either way, STOKED to have 4 of them going. Thanks for sending the seeds :)
Great news, JCR! They were pretty viable for me as well. They like to
grow tall, fast. I don't want to cross-post, so I have a little blurb in my
blog about the ajis:
http://thehotpepper....ut-first-round/

Good luck with those, bud, hope they are very productive for ya.
So far the only thing that seems to bother them a lot now is wind.
The leaves are big, and the wind has broken the central vein on
some of them; other than that, they are okay.

We dipped to 39F last night, but as I look out the window, the plants
look okay - no drooping evident from here. I'm going out now to check.
I suspect there will be more dropped flowers; interested in seeing how
the pubescens did since it is putting on buds quick like.

Have a nice Sunday, JCR!

BAM!

Hey Paul,
I can see a cookbook in the making........you're plating up some develish looking meals!

I see your weather dipped down to 39 deg..........today our daytime temp is running at 93 deg.............and some of my plants are dropping. But no need for me to water since the soils moist for yesterdays watering.

Your plants are established and a bit of cold weather can't hurt..............I bet you'll have some plants "Knee High by the 4th of July"

Greg

Haha - there are 8 pics of that pod on this page! It's a nightmare :shocked: but that is one cool pod. Gulp.

Okay. Frozen skillet dinner tonight. What to do? Peppers! I revisited
the bag of Jamie's peppers in the fridge, and found the last Aji Limon
and 2 Datils:
DSCN4521a.jpg

Chopped up - saved the Datil seeds - thanks Jamie ;) :
DSCN4522a.jpg

This pic is for Pinoy because I know he is hungry. Get over to that luau, dude!:
DSCN4523a.jpg

I can see the datil pieces in the pic, but the aji pieces are playing hide and seek!

It was great to revisit the milder peppers that I tried originally after Jamie sent the box.
The peppers flavored the dish nicely, and the heat was just right - a little mouth burn,
a little nose run, but all in a very pleasurable way. I like the datils a lot; am going to
try to germ some of those next season!

So, I guess we've come full circle. The only pepps left from the box are the mystery
annuums; I'm not sure what the best use for those is. To me, mostly heat, but not a
lot of flavor. Maybe some pico de gallo?

I can't thank Jamie enough. I feel honored to be a part of his circle of pain :fireball:
and am very appreciative of the introduction to :hot: peppers that he
was so kind to provide for a novice like me. Here's to pepperheads everywhere!

Yummyy, we did luau for manny pacquiao's loss last night he got cheated so bad

Paul, I haven't grown the Aji Limon, but I did grow Aji Yellow last year, which I think is very similar. Trippa is right on the money with the fish recommendation. Haven't tried it with salmon, but it is perfect with shrimp, or any kind of white fish. I also use it (powdered) when I don't want my spouse to know I've added peppers to something. He's started looking for the red color of most of my pepper powders in dishes, so he knows when I've added some heat, but this way he doesn't prejudge and tastes it without expectations. Hope that doesn't sound too underhanded ...

Oh, and on Jamie's mystery peppers, I used them on tacos, and thought they went well with it.

Paul are you supposed to eat that evil red gnarly looking monster? Make out a will first dude that thing has death written all over it. Condolences amigo. ;)
I just hope it doesn't et me! That thing looks like you could squeeze it and cap oil would come out!
Thanks for the sentiments :shocked:

Good growin', Patrick!
Hey Paul,
I can see a cookbook in the making........you're plating up some develish looking meals!
The recipe would just say: pasta. sauce, hot pepper!
I see your weather dipped down to 39 deg..........today our daytime temp is running at 93 deg.............and some of my plants are dropping. But no need for me to water since the soils moist for yesterdays watering.

Your plants are established and a bit of cold weather can't hurt..............I bet you'll have some plants "Knee High by the 4th of July"

Greg
I am thinking the same thing. After the close call at 35 a week or two ago,
the peppers haven't been fazed by the 37 and last night's 39. But, let's
just keep it over 45, okay? 93 is hot, no matter where you live. We won't
have a large number of days over 90 here, normally, but we can get a
couple of weeks in a roe of 90-100 on occasion. Hope this isn't one of
those years. I'm having trouble finding shade cloth here.

Today is our first day of more than a few minutes of sun at a time in a week!

Hope your pepps weather the high temps, Greg; thanks for looking in, amigo!
Paul, I haven't grown the Aji Limon, but I did grow Aji Yellow last year, which I think is very similar. Trippa is right on the money with the fish recommendation. Haven't tried it with salmon, but it is perfect with shrimp, or any kind of white fish. I also use it (powdered) when I don't want my spouse to know I've added peppers to something. He's started looking for the red color of most of my pepper powders in dishes, so he knows when I've added some heat, but this way he doesn't prejudge and tastes it without expectations. Hope that doesn't sound too underhanded ... :twisted: Oh, you devil :lol:

Oh, and on Jamie's mystery peppers, I used them on tacos, and thought they went well with it.
Thanks for the good advice; I should have lots of Yellow Ajis by summer's end.
Will have to powder some of those babies! Did you chop the annuums into the
taco, or just put them in it?

Good growin',Bonnie; hope the weather is better for you, aside from wind of course!
Any luck with page topping, yet :D

Yummyy, we did luau for manny pacquiao's loss last night he got cheated so bad
Glad you were able to get some food in ya!
I didn't see the fight, myself.
I was just glad to see Miami ween the East!

Good week in class, bud. Hope you get some pepper time!

2 more nights before I can see my plants, I just hope my mom wont drown my peppers, everytime I get home they soaking wet

I hope they are in good shape when you get home, Pinoy.
It's hard not being in control of them :confused:

How's school going?

hah, my mom is the same way Pinoy... When I've let her take care of my garden, she tends to over love them...

I told her about the law of the 4ws.... Watch and Wait until it Wilts to Water.

she's been getting better... but her inclination is still to do too much

I hope they are in good shape when you get home, Pinoy.
It's hard not being in control of them :confused:

How's school going?
yep my mom thinks they all dry.because the top of there soil is dry, shes trying to help me by drowning them

Were on my last rotation so we just im classroom for 3 long boring weeks, and after that we gonna be at garde manger...

Maybe you could get your mom a soil moisture meter... if she had something concrete like a reading on the dial to refer to it might help her better judge when to water.

Ahh, more excellent food pics. Thanks Paul!

BTW, as of this post your Glog has fallen to #17 on the recently updated list. You're slacking a bit there buddy. So here is a friendly bump for you. No need to thank me though, your pepper/food pics are thanks enough. Now get to posting!! :)

Ahh, more excellent food pics. Thanks Paul!

BTW, as of this post your Glog has fallen to #17 on the recently updated list. You're slacking a bit there buddy. So here is a friendly bump for you. No need to thank me though, your pepper/food pics are thanks enough. Now get to posting!! :)

Haha at least I wasn't on the second page like I have been sometimes before!
We have sun and very little breeze this morning, so that's my next task,
after watering and weeding, and... thanks for looking in, brah!

Maybe you could get your mom a soil moisture meter... if she had something concrete like a reading on the dial to refer to it might help her better judge when to water.

shes to lazy to do that, she only go to her eye instinct if the top soil is dry water them

I got one for $7 at our local Kroger outlet - no batteries needed.
It does help me interpret the visible signs of my plants. Once that
is in hand, no need to use the moisture meter so much.

hah, my mom is the same way Pinoy... When I've let her take care of my garden, she tends to over love them...

I told her about the law of the 4ws.... Watch and Wait until it Wilts to Water.

she's been getting better... but her inclination is still to do too much

I told her that dont as well i even told her try to lift some of the small pots and u can tell if its need of water or not,

I got one for $7 at our local Kroger outlet - no batteries needed.
It does help me interpret the visible signs of my plants. Once that
is in hand, no need to use the moisture meter so much.

i just stick my finger inside the pots if needed water, but for my mom shes crazy in watering it one time she left the sprinkler of almost an 1hr and we have clay soil in our garden u can tell its been soak because theres lots of water pool everywere

i just stick my finger inside the pots if needed water, but for my mom shes crazy in watering it one time she left the sprinkler of almost an 1hr and we have clay soil in our garden u can tell its been soak because theres lots of water pool everywere
Oh boy, nuthin' like gumbo!

After two decent days, back to cloudy, but I did get my irrigation
hooked up and timers installed yesterday. I still need to work
on the emitters/rings today. Will post pics of that later, but here
is my Rube Goldberg set-up. I get some kidding from the neighbors
about it ;)

This is the main supply. The green hoses are for watering and
filling buckets, etc.
DSCN4530a.jpg

The black hose is the backyard irrigation
system supply, which runs to here:
DSCN4532a.jpg

The green hose supplies the big tubs with the Yellow Ajis, Biship's Crowns,
Orange Manzano, and a big container not occupied, yet. Two of the black hoses
supply 2 zones next to the house, the rose bed (the oval timer is by Dig - great
features but could be designed better), and the raised beds, and the third
runs to the other end of the yard:
DSCN4534a.jpg

The black hose supplies 2 zones, the tomatoes and the pepper containers,
center hose is for watering in this part of the yard, and the hose with the timer
supplies the rhody bed via soaker hose (this little Rain Drip timer is the most
well-designed single zone timer I've run into, even though it doesn't have
many features):
DSCN4533a.jpg

I have seven active zones, three on single timers, and four on two zone timers
like this:
DSCN4536a.jpg

These timers are okay, but very poorly designed. They use 4AA batteries.
The little round ones 2 AAA batteries (bonus), and the oval Dig, a 9volt battery.
I've been using this system for four seasons, and so far so good. It requires
some attention because it's not hard-wired and in-ground like my front yard is.
But it's a lot cheaper, too! The main problem I have is forgetting to turn it
off when it's raining!

I'm going to try to post a video of a tour of my yard. First I've tried to upload.
Hope this works.
Yay.
I misidentified the Inca Red Drop with the red pod as an Omni Color. Senior moment.

Back