• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

PaulG 2012

I'm chomping at the bit to get started with some new chilli varieties this coming Spring. So far I've just scratched the surface with Poblanos, Jalapenos and Serranos, all of which I really like. I've been egged on by a new Second Generation Mejicano neighbor as we've talked about hot chillis over the back fence! He helped me make some Pico de Gallo with my Serranos and Early Girl tomatoes and has some great recipes from his mother and grandmother. Hopefully I'll be able to share some of them on this forum in the future. I need to grow more Cilantro. Oh yeah!

I've ordered seed from several sources which received at least a few good comments on this forum (6/12 - items crossed out did not germ, or weren't planted this year):

US Hot Stuff:
Bolivian Rainbow
Yellow Peter
Nosegay
Trinidad Scorpion (from Spankycolts)
Devil Tongue

The Hippy Seed Company: Seed Packet Mixes
NuMex Twilight (from Siliman)
Yellow Jellybeans
Tom Thumbs
Wild Texas Tepin

Refining Fire: Seed Packet Mix
Scotch Bonnet
Chocolate Habanero
Jamaican Red Mushroom

New Mexico State University:
Chiltepin
Omnicolor
Red Carribean Habanero
Orange Habanero

Pepper Gal:
Aji Yellow (request from a Peruvian friend of ours!)
Thai Hot

Peppermania:
Inca Lost
Fatali
White Habanero (from Spanky)
Red Savina (cross with Fatali, from Spanky)
Bishop's Crown
Inca Red Drop
Orange Rocoto
Congo Trinidad

I doubt I will be able to try all of these out this year, but I have saved my seeds in small glass jars with tight-fitting lids for storage over the next year. I have been saving seed from other garden produce and have had good luck with germinating them after two or even three years. The jars are stored in boxes in the garage for a cool dark location for them. I have ordered several compact varieties with an eye toward trying to winter over some of my plants this year. Since I didn't even know peppers were perennial, I can say I've already learned something from this forum!

I purchased a small greenhouse from One Stop Gardens (via Harbor Freight) for $300 four years ago. This is one of the greenhouse kits I've noticed in the greenhouse advertsing bar at the bottom of some of the pages on this forum. This picture is from Spring/ Summer 2011. You can see my tomato and pepper starts on the sheves. I winter over some bonsai trees and jade plants as well as geraniums, begonias and Gerbera Daisies. In the winter, I use a small space heater (visible on ground in the picture) to keep the temp at 40F during the few cold weeks we experience here. So far it has worked pretty well. If overwintering pepper plants becomes a reality I'll be making more room in the greenhouse! I've started a thread in the Grow Tech forum to discuss issues which crop up with these units.

greenhousepan11a.jpg

January 14, 2012:

Composting:

Okay, I need to do something outside. I know, I'll dig out a compost bin. We've had a little dry cool weather, so the worms have burrowed down, and the compost is crumbly, if a tad wet.

DSCN3318sm.jpg

The first step - dig out the bin and sift the material. I use a homemade frame with a layer of 1/4 inch plastic hardware cloth backed with a layer of one inch mesh poultry netting. The fine stuff goes into the wheelbarrow, the coarse stuff into an adjacent compost bin we're still building up.

DSCN3316sm.jpg

The bin on the left is covered to keep the leafy material dry and fluffy. The dry leaves are an important layer in the compost 'cake'. The bin on the right is the one I'm digging out. Nice, dark and crumbly with lots of worms! The sifter is on the wheelbarrow, and some of the coarse stuff is already on the active compost bin in the middle. The bin in the back is resting for several of months. It has a black plastic hardware cloth cover to keep out squirrels and racoons.

DSCN3321sm.jpg

The bin is all dug out. I left about two inches of broken up compost on the bottom of the hole to create a space for the worms to move into. You can see the bin in the middle has a layer of coarse stuff spread out on the top.

DSCN3323sm.jpg

The last step is to put a nice deep layer of dry leaves on the bin we just dug out. Now that bin will rest for a at least several months or more while the earthworms move into the compost/earth interface and do their work. That will make a great base for the next cycle of composting in this bin. I put a thin layer of leaves on the middle bin, too. Now there's a nice layer cake of dirt/compost, leaves. kitchen scraps. All small yard clippings except grass go into the compost bins, even tomato vines and pepper branches and twigs. I don't even chop stuff up too much. I try to have at least 10 or 12 layers of stuff built up before I cover the bin with a layer of dirt/compost and let the worms work for several months. I'm getting about 12-18 cubic feet of compost from these bins a year. My goal is to become 'soil self-sufficient' at some point, perhaps only having to procure horticultural pumice or vermiculite and some peat moss every so often.

DSCN3322sm.jpg

The good stuff. It will go into a plastic, vented storage bin for at lest eight weeks to cure a bit. Then I mix it with a little peat moss and some vermiculite or pumice for aeration. In my large containers, I add 2 or 3 inches of compost worked into the top of the container only every year. I try not to mix up the soil layers in the big containers very much, letting the nutrients percolate down through the soil as in a natural setting. As the blog continues this summer, I'll include photos of the irrigation system and containers I use to grow my tomatoes and peppers, and a few other things.

They came through in great shape, Jamie. The other night I had
the Chocolate Habanero with some pasta:
DSCN4540a.jpg

Really shiny inside! The first sliver with the placenta got the back
and sides of my tongue goin', and the second piece spread the
burn to my throat and even my ears a little. Another piece down
and my sinuses started draining a little and lips started to burn more.
The quarters with the placenta gave me a few hiccups, and the tip
of my tongue and lips got pretty hot. My nose was itchy and running
pretty good by the time I finished the last piece. Hard to describe the
pepper's taste, but it was different than the others I've tried, and it
came through over the heat in an enjoyable way. All in all a great pepper!

Tonight was the Yellow Scorp with a nice steak - for you Pinoy:
DSCN4548a.jpg

Looks good, huh?
DSCN4549a.jpg

The heat was pretty consistent throughout the meal; not real overpowering.
I ate it with bites of steak andthe flavor of the pepper mixed with the steak
was very good. Some mouth and tongue burn right away, and it just stayed
at that level. I had to slow down a couple of times and just breath through
my mouth. Only two or three hiccups, but the aroma of the pepper mixed
with it's flavor and that of the steak was very enjoyable. I'm still not up for
just munching a hot pepper, but am getting used to eating them with food.
DSCN4550a.jpg

If this doesn't look great, I don't know what does!

Thanks, my friend!

Thanks for the kind words, Doc I'm not sure about squared away, but I
was a 4.0 sailor years ago :D The selection process sounds very interesting.
I probably don't have 25 years to go at this, but it is fun to dabble. I will definitely
try your system with some of the unique plants that turn up.
I appreciate your feedback, Dr. Cres; It's nice to be on a forum where there is a good
exchange of ideas and folk get along! Continued success to you, as well. I
hope you have the free seed issue under control :shocked:

finally food :drooling: :drooling: ,your one chile-head already paul, and that stake so ono :dance:

Here are a couple of pics of the irrigation for my pepper containers.
The nursery pots have 1/4" soaker hose rings, and the raised beds
have soaker lines running the long way. Each box and each soaker
ring have a shut off valve so I can take individual containers out of
the system if needed. I've been using these for about 4 seasons,
and have had reasonable success with them so far. There is always
tweaking to do through the season, but not too bad.

Rings:
DSCN4541a.jpg

Raised bed:
DSCN4542a.jpg

Potted up some 7 gallon root pouches, today
DSCN4544a.jpg

These are super hots from Robin, l to r: Ghost, "Tuca"(?), Ghost ("Casper"), Infinity.
First time with the root pouches. They were very easy to work with and handle
and move around. I'll be interested to see how they compare to the 7 gallon nursery
pots. I have about 4 or 5 transplants that will need potting up soon, so will have a
chance to try a few more root pouches with them.

In general, about all the peppers are setting pods. There are a handful with flowers but
no pods yet, but all the others have at least little pods forming, even the Pubescens
and most of the supers!

You are invaluable Paul.. and that steak... is more valuable than you ahhaaaaaaa JK :rofl: :rofl: :fireball:
You are an okay judge of character ;) , and a great judge of food :drooling: Sanarda!

Paul -You are a foodstigator....and I love shiny oily pepper guts.
On the boat it was baked yardbird...I have been severely beat down by that steak and highalts rib shots.Luckily I am an orally fixated hopeless foodvert... :shh:
You could do a lot worse, gunner!
I suppose I'll be suffering through one of Jamie's grill shots next... :dance:Oh, the horror! I need to get over there right away!
Do you grow peppers too? :woohoo:Yeah :liar:
Thanks for the look, gnslngr - good growin', and eatin'!

Choc habs are one of my favourites paul. Fantastic tasting with a good enough burn to feel but not overpower.
That steak looks the goods paul
Right on, Tripp! I'm glad I decided to grow a couple of those.
Looking forward to trying more of them.
My wife gets the credit for the steak!
Have a good week, bro.

I saw root pouches like that for sale in the spring and I avoided them because I was not sure how well they work. I have seen them in a few pictures in assorted glogs here now, and they seem to do the trick. I'll definitely be watching and at the end of the year asking how they were.

Great looking peppers! And the steak looked extra special amazing. :P

They came through in great shape, Jamie. The other night I had
the Chocolate Habanero with some pasta:
DSCN4540a.jpg

Tonight was the Yellow Scorp with a nice steak - for you Pinoy:
DSCN4548a.jpg

Looks good, huh?

I honestly don't know which looks better? The description of the taste of the Choc Hab is nothing like I would have imagined. It made me want to try one. I too enjoy a good steak with bites of a hot pepper. Its the only way! I am wondering right now how the Hab would have tasted with that steak. Right on Paul!

Paul my man. Garden looks prestine as usual and the plants are very lucky to have you. :party:

The choclate habs are a great peppers. The flavor is very unique. Almost smoky sweet if ya ask me :onfire:

And that steak is making me hungry. Cooked to perfection. :woohoo:

:fireball: Now bring on the barrackpore :fireball:

Okay, I don't even care for steak, but that picture looks so appetizing! Magazine worthy I'd say. You have a good eye for food photography!

Thanks for the review of the Chocolate Hab. I'm growing a couple this year, and now I can't wait to taste one! It's interesting Jamie mentioned a smoky taste to them. That's the way the Chocolate/Black/Purple varieties of tomatoes are always described, and those are usually my favorites.

I really like that soaker hose ring idea for the potted plants. I have two that are still in pots that I had drippers going to each one, I didn't like how it was woking so I yanked the hosing. Probably going to try your method out.

I saw root pouches like that for sale in the spring and I avoided them because I was not sure how well they work. I have seen them in a few pictures in assorted glogs here now, and they seem to do the trick. I'll definitely be watching and at the end of the year asking how they were.

Great looking peppers! And the steak looked extra special amazing. :P
My wife can cook a mean steak; always done to a 'T'!
I post some pics periodically so we can keep track of how the
root pouches are working. I sort of like their frumpy nature :cool:
Thanks for looking, Stefan!

I honestly don't know which looks better? The description of the taste of the Choc Hab is nothing like I would have imagined. It made me want to try one. I too enjoy a good steak with bites of a hot pepper. Its the only way! I am wondering right now how the Hab would have tasted with that steak. Right on Paul!
You know, Chewi, I have very little experience with these babies.
It's hard for me to describe the flavors except in broad terms. I
know when they taste good with the food as opposed to 'bald heat',
but even Jamie's mystery annuums are starting to grow on me!
Of course the Datils and Ajis are awesome, too! And the Yellow
and Red Sevens! :mouthonfire:
Have a good week, bro!

Paul my man. Garden looks prestine as usual and the plants are very lucky to have you. :party:

The choclate habs are a great peppers. The flavor is very unique. Almost smoky sweet if ya ask me :onfire:

And that steak is making me hungry. Cooked to perfection. :woohoo:

:fireball: Now bring on the barrackpore :fireball:
Thanks for the endorsement, Jamie! I could say the same thing
about your neck of the woods, my friend!
I liked the chocolate hab, too. Actually there haven't been any I
haven't liked, yet : )
Looking forward to sampling more of your latest shipment!
We've entered a bit of a cooling trend for a few days, so the supers
and pubescens have dropped quite a few of the little pods they had set.
We're supposed to warm a bit over the latter part of the week, so maybe
there are more pods on the horizon!
Wishing you a good week, brother!

Okay, I don't even care for steak, but that picture looks so appetizing! Magazine worthy I'd say. You have a good eye for food photography!

Thanks for the review of the Chocolate Hab. I'm growing a couple this year, and now I can't wait to taste one! It's interesting Jamie mentioned a smoky taste to them. That's the way the Chocolate/Black/Purple varieties of tomatoes are always described, and those are usually my favorites.
You are too kind, girl! Hard to miss with subject matter like that!
Bonnie, your high desert plants look fantastic, and sporting pods even!
How do you hang on to your tools with 10 green thumbs? Those father's
day ribs look awesome! i assume there was something heat-y to go with
it?! Have a good week, Bonnie, and continued success for you!

I really like that soaker hose ring idea for the potted plants. I have two that are still in pots that I had drippers going to each one, I didn't like how it was woking so I yanked the hosing. Probably going to try your method out.
Hey, Ben - thanks for visiting. I like the rings for the most part; it's
surprising how much water they put out in a short while. On my
7-gallon pots I usually run them for one minute, one to three times
per day, depending on the heat/weather. On the big 18 gallon containers,
they can run 3 minutes at a time. You can use a plant saucer under
the pots or not. I like the fact they make a 'cylinder' of
water which surrounds the center of the pot, and encourages root growth
in a full 360 degrees around the stem and root ball from top to bottom. The water
spreads out as it drains through wetting a good amount of soil, but the top
stays dry except for right around the ring. The rings need to be replaced
with new soaker hose every three years or so depending on the sun exposure.
If I didn't leave them out year 'round, they probably would last longer! I use a
1/4" 'T' fitting to form the ring and hook up to the 1/4 inch tubing which plugs
into the 1/2" supply line.
Good luck giving a couple a trial run. Hope they work out for you, Ben.

MMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm!!!!!!!!!!!!

My choco is loading up with really cool looking pods, thanks for the play by play, can't wait! See you pushed the seeds aside!

Awesome photos. Wish I had thought bout cloning when my plants had forasium wilt. Perhaps could've saved them. Can't wait to taste the choco habs I got as well. Can't eat peppers like you guys. But I will sure try. Keep it up.

MMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm!!!!!!!!!!!!

My choco is loading up with really cool looking pods, thanks for the play by play, can't wait! See you pushed the seeds aside!
Hey, brother! Glad to her you'll be chomping those chocolate habs
real soon! I have saved a few seeds from some of Jamie's pods just for fun : )
Thanks for looking - haven't been at my computer much the past few days, busy
with yard and teaching summer school. I hope to do a glogathon in the next
couple of days so I can catch up with everybody. Hope your grow is just as
awesome as always, Shane.

That looks like one of them giant steaks The Flintstones would eat.

Mezo.
:rofl: Yeah, a nice 10 ounce filet! I try to eat one once a year whether I need it or not!

Awesome photos. Wish I had thought bout cloning when my plants had forasium wilt. Perhaps could've saved them. Can't wait to taste the choco habs I got as well. Can't eat peppers like you guys. But I will sure try. Keep it up.
That forasium wilt is a real bugger, for sure. Damn. I'm finding that eating
the peppers with a meal makes it possible to enjoy the heat as a complement
to the food. I hope you get to try those chocolate habs very soon! I think you
will like them. I liked Jamie's description of the flavor.
Have a good week, your excellency!

Been working on getting through page 2 of My Content for so long that when I finally got here I was out on page 36..of 52. phew. Great read. So much activity kept you up ahead of my progress for way too long. Keep up the great work!

Been working on getting through page 2 of My Content for so long that when I finally got here I was out on page 36..of 52. phew. Great read. So much activity kept you up ahead of my progress for way too long. Keep up the great work!
Frankly, it's insane. I mean, really? 52 pages? But I really enjoy the
posts members have made to my grow log more than my own stuff!
The sad part is, that I haven't even updated my grow for a coon's age.
Every time I get ready to take some pics, we get cool nights and the
little pods fall off! Thanks for looking, JAG, and for wading through all
the glogginess - you have a high tolerance for pain :D
Good growin', brother!

Wow, it is 52 pages, isn't it? I've read through most, skimmed some. I now feel like I've accomplished something. You should give badges out Paul for full glog reading completion. And yeah - what about that grow update...

Frankly, it's insane. I mean, really? 52 pages? But I really enjoy the
posts members have made to my grow log more than my own stuff!
The sad part is, that I haven't even updated my grow for a coon's age.
Every time I get ready to take some pics, we get cool nights and the
little pods fall off! Thanks for looking, JAG, and for wading through all
the glogginess - you have a high tolerance for pain :D
Good growin', brother!

Glogginess and pain?????? You have no idea how valuable this glog is do you?? It should be pinned

Just got caught up Paul. Lookin great! I hope the root pouches work good for you. Are your night temps finally warmed up? The past week our night temps have been warmer and its made a huge difference with pod set. Was just wondering if its the same over there.

Back