• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

PaulG 2012

I'm chomping at the bit to get started with some new chilli varieties this coming Spring. So far I've just scratched the surface with Poblanos, Jalapenos and Serranos, all of which I really like. I've been egged on by a new Second Generation Mejicano neighbor as we've talked about hot chillis over the back fence! He helped me make some Pico de Gallo with my Serranos and Early Girl tomatoes and has some great recipes from his mother and grandmother. Hopefully I'll be able to share some of them on this forum in the future. I need to grow more Cilantro. Oh yeah!

I've ordered seed from several sources which received at least a few good comments on this forum (6/12 - items crossed out did not germ, or weren't planted this year):

US Hot Stuff:
Bolivian Rainbow
Yellow Peter
Nosegay
Trinidad Scorpion (from Spankycolts)
Devil Tongue

The Hippy Seed Company: Seed Packet Mixes
NuMex Twilight (from Siliman)
Yellow Jellybeans
Tom Thumbs
Wild Texas Tepin

Refining Fire: Seed Packet Mix
Scotch Bonnet
Chocolate Habanero
Jamaican Red Mushroom

New Mexico State University:
Chiltepin
Omnicolor
Red Carribean Habanero
Orange Habanero

Pepper Gal:
Aji Yellow (request from a Peruvian friend of ours!)
Thai Hot

Peppermania:
Inca Lost
Fatali
White Habanero (from Spanky)
Red Savina (cross with Fatali, from Spanky)
Bishop's Crown
Inca Red Drop
Orange Rocoto
Congo Trinidad

I doubt I will be able to try all of these out this year, but I have saved my seeds in small glass jars with tight-fitting lids for storage over the next year. I have been saving seed from other garden produce and have had good luck with germinating them after two or even three years. The jars are stored in boxes in the garage for a cool dark location for them. I have ordered several compact varieties with an eye toward trying to winter over some of my plants this year. Since I didn't even know peppers were perennial, I can say I've already learned something from this forum!

I purchased a small greenhouse from One Stop Gardens (via Harbor Freight) for $300 four years ago. This is one of the greenhouse kits I've noticed in the greenhouse advertsing bar at the bottom of some of the pages on this forum. This picture is from Spring/ Summer 2011. You can see my tomato and pepper starts on the sheves. I winter over some bonsai trees and jade plants as well as geraniums, begonias and Gerbera Daisies. In the winter, I use a small space heater (visible on ground in the picture) to keep the temp at 40F during the few cold weeks we experience here. So far it has worked pretty well. If overwintering pepper plants becomes a reality I'll be making more room in the greenhouse! I've started a thread in the Grow Tech forum to discuss issues which crop up with these units.

greenhousepan11a.jpg

January 14, 2012:

Composting:

Okay, I need to do something outside. I know, I'll dig out a compost bin. We've had a little dry cool weather, so the worms have burrowed down, and the compost is crumbly, if a tad wet.

DSCN3318sm.jpg

The first step - dig out the bin and sift the material. I use a homemade frame with a layer of 1/4 inch plastic hardware cloth backed with a layer of one inch mesh poultry netting. The fine stuff goes into the wheelbarrow, the coarse stuff into an adjacent compost bin we're still building up.

DSCN3316sm.jpg

The bin on the left is covered to keep the leafy material dry and fluffy. The dry leaves are an important layer in the compost 'cake'. The bin on the right is the one I'm digging out. Nice, dark and crumbly with lots of worms! The sifter is on the wheelbarrow, and some of the coarse stuff is already on the active compost bin in the middle. The bin in the back is resting for several of months. It has a black plastic hardware cloth cover to keep out squirrels and racoons.

DSCN3321sm.jpg

The bin is all dug out. I left about two inches of broken up compost on the bottom of the hole to create a space for the worms to move into. You can see the bin in the middle has a layer of coarse stuff spread out on the top.

DSCN3323sm.jpg

The last step is to put a nice deep layer of dry leaves on the bin we just dug out. Now that bin will rest for a at least several months or more while the earthworms move into the compost/earth interface and do their work. That will make a great base for the next cycle of composting in this bin. I put a thin layer of leaves on the middle bin, too. Now there's a nice layer cake of dirt/compost, leaves. kitchen scraps. All small yard clippings except grass go into the compost bins, even tomato vines and pepper branches and twigs. I don't even chop stuff up too much. I try to have at least 10 or 12 layers of stuff built up before I cover the bin with a layer of dirt/compost and let the worms work for several months. I'm getting about 12-18 cubic feet of compost from these bins a year. My goal is to become 'soil self-sufficient' at some point, perhaps only having to procure horticultural pumice or vermiculite and some peat moss every so often.

DSCN3322sm.jpg

The good stuff. It will go into a plastic, vented storage bin for at lest eight weeks to cure a bit. Then I mix it with a little peat moss and some vermiculite or pumice for aeration. In my large containers, I add 2 or 3 inches of compost worked into the top of the container only every year. I try not to mix up the soil layers in the big containers very much, letting the nutrients percolate down through the soil as in a natural setting. As the blog continues this summer, I'll include photos of the irrigation system and containers I use to grow my tomatoes and peppers, and a few other things.

Wow, it is 52 pages, isn't it? I've read through most, skimmed some. I now feel like I've accomplished something. You should give badges out Paul for full glog reading completion. And yeah - what about that grow update...
Andy you crack me up, brothah! I don't blame you for skimming; I'm
not sure I could read the whole thing myself! I wouldn't even get my
own 'badge'! Hope your grow is going well, myfriend.

Glogginess and pain?????? You have no idea how valuable this glog is do you?? It should be pinned
You are too kind, Sanarda; thanks for the vote of confidence. I'm glad you are
finding it useful in some ways, and happy you consider it informative.
Weekend is coming! :woohoo: hope you get to enjoy it!

Just got caught up Paul. Lookin great! I hope the root pouches work good for you. Are your night temps finally warmed up? The past week our night temps have been warmer and its made a huge difference with pod set. Was just wondering if its the same over there.
Hey, Britt, good to 'hear' your voice! So far the root pouches seem to be working fine.
The plants look healthy and happy in them. I have them in dappled shade for now, but
will move them to a sunnier location when I get the opportunity. We have a couple of
nice days, then a cool night (like 42F) or two, and all the little pods fall off. Sort of like
one step forward, two steps back. But I know the warm weather will get here soon,
right? :rolleyes: We're forecast for low to mid 60s for highs the next couple of days, but the night
temps will hover in low 50's, so I guess that's a trade off until we get back to low 70's and
50's starting Sunday.
Hope your balcony is teeming with pods, bro!

That steak looks amazing! Makes me hungry again and I just ate.
I have to admit the yellow peppers on the steak do look pretty appetizing.
I haven't had a chance to try more of Jamiee's wares the past couple of
days, but :drooling: I can't wait! Thanks for looking in, Geist - good growin' to you!
Make it 53 pages!
:rofl: I knew I'd see you here, Shane! you are just too cool, my friend!
I hope the funky virus is under control, bud; you are such a conscientious
grower I'm sure you will come out in the end with a VICTORY! And more
good growin' and great pods! Will visit your space soon, brah.

Just a a side note, folks. My 97 year old dad had an A Fib heart attack on Wed. morning.
We got him to the hospital, and they got him squared away. Please don't be worried.
He's a survivor of many calamities, and it will take more than a stinkin' heart attack
to bring him down! Yesterday afternoon and evening his blood pressure was good,
color back in his face, and his heart rhythm stabilized. They will take a peek at his
ticker today; I'm heading to see him in a little while. I only say this so you will know
why I will be sporadic on the forum. It's good for me to visit here to get my mind off
stuff, so will try to check in each morning and evening. My glogathon reading session
will have to wait a few days, but I am really missing visiting grow logs. I promise to visit
you all soon! Until then, good growin' to all of you!

Sorry to hear about your Dad Paul, Do what you've got to do to take care of yourself and tell your old man from me that I won't tell him to be good, but he should be careful...

Man, step away for a bit and your 10 pages behind on the glog reading, glad you made it through the rain Paul, like romy said we're getting it here too. The back yard is what I'm hoping to aspire to. The deal with the 5 acre home fell through after we had an inspector go through it. Glad we did too, many expensive issues so now we're going to save for a year and build. Prayers are coming your way for you and your dad for strength and healing. It's Friday eve though and time for a Beer.

Sorry to hear about your Dad Paul, Do what you've got to do to take care of yourself and tell your old man from me that I won't tell him to be good, but he should be careful...
Haha that is really funny, Rick, that is exactly what he would say!

Best wishes to your father and your family Paul. Keep us posted, my thoughts and prayers are with you.
Thanks, Shane, much appreciated.
Paul,
Prayers for a speedy recovery for your dad. Sounds like he's a fighter. Hoping for the best

Greg
Thanks, Greg, he has survived everything from a burst appendix when he was four to being a paratrooper in WWII.

Sending some positive energy your way paul. All the best for you and the family. Peace trippa
Thanks, Trippa, i think it's working!

Sorry to hear that, but I am sure he will be fine. All prayers go out to your family. He sounds like a trooper.
Thanks, Sanarda; he's a fighter in his own quiet way!

Sorry to hear about your pops Paul, i can actually say i know how he`s feeling right now.
Flick some chilli powder in his hospital food that will perk him up, works for me.

Mezo.
He does like a little spice, but some of Jamie's papers and the powders folk have sent are a bit much! Thanks, bro.

Blessings to you Paul and prayers for your dad. Hope the visit goes well with him and that he's feeling better.
Thanks, Andy, good to hear from you.

Sorry to hear about your Dad Paul. We'll definitely keep him and your family in our prayers. God bless!
Thanks, bro, we appreciate the good wishes.

Man, step away for a bit and your 10 pages behind on the glog reading, glad you made it through the rain Paul, like romy said we're getting it here too. The back yard is what I'm hoping to aspire to. The deal with the 5 acre home fell through after we had an inspector go through it. Glad we did too, many expensive issues so now we're going to save for a year and build. Prayers are coming your way for you and your dad for strength and healing. It's Friday eve though and time for a Beer.
Thanks for the visit and good wishes, RM. I'm glad you dodged the bullet on the 5 acres. It is tough to let something like that go, but you did the right thing. Good luck with your building plans! Did manage to get in a beer or two last night!

Thanks to all of you for the prayers and thoughtful responses. Had a good visit yesterday and talk with his Dr. Will have another consult this morning. The care he has received at Providence St. Vincent's hospital cardiac unit has been top notch, and his cardiologist of five years is a wonderful doctor. My dad is stable now, had a good appetite yesterday morning, and was actually complaining about some things, so that's a good sign! We will make the decision about future treatment this morning, but as of this moment there are no plans for any kind of surgery. We are still discussing an angiogram, but at his age (97) it isn't a slam dunk by any means. If we don't do that, he may be stable enough to return home this weekend sometime, and control his heart with some medications. Will let you know what happens. Best case scenario, he will be home soon and back to his nightly shot of Jack Daniels!

Good growin' and blessings to all of you and your families.

Thanks for updating us about your father's condition! You and your family have been in my thoughts and prayers. Your dad is definitely a fighter just to have made it to 97!!!

Thanks for updating us about your father's condition! You and your family have been in my thoughts and prayers. Your dad is definitely a fighter just to have made it to 97!!!
Thanks, Bonnie. It made dad feel great to know so many folks were pulling for him!

Dang Paul sorry to read about your Dad I hope everything works out so he could get home soon. I really missed alot of your progress, but look awesome my friend plants loooking great and getting ready to pod or podding up at the moment. Once I get going start expecting a few varities heading your way.

Best wishes my friend... I've been a bit preoccupied with the goings on here in central florida, and haven't been reading ANY glogs until this morning. I was shocked to find your glog on the third page, and figured something must be up...

Sorry to see that I was right =(. Sending some prayers your dads way.

Back