• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

PaulG 2012

I'm chomping at the bit to get started with some new chilli varieties this coming Spring. So far I've just scratched the surface with Poblanos, Jalapenos and Serranos, all of which I really like. I've been egged on by a new Second Generation Mejicano neighbor as we've talked about hot chillis over the back fence! He helped me make some Pico de Gallo with my Serranos and Early Girl tomatoes and has some great recipes from his mother and grandmother. Hopefully I'll be able to share some of them on this forum in the future. I need to grow more Cilantro. Oh yeah!

I've ordered seed from several sources which received at least a few good comments on this forum (6/12 - items crossed out did not germ, or weren't planted this year):

US Hot Stuff:
Bolivian Rainbow
Yellow Peter
Nosegay
Trinidad Scorpion (from Spankycolts)
Devil Tongue

The Hippy Seed Company: Seed Packet Mixes
NuMex Twilight (from Siliman)
Yellow Jellybeans
Tom Thumbs
Wild Texas Tepin

Refining Fire: Seed Packet Mix
Scotch Bonnet
Chocolate Habanero
Jamaican Red Mushroom

New Mexico State University:
Chiltepin
Omnicolor
Red Carribean Habanero
Orange Habanero

Pepper Gal:
Aji Yellow (request from a Peruvian friend of ours!)
Thai Hot

Peppermania:
Inca Lost
Fatali
White Habanero (from Spanky)
Red Savina (cross with Fatali, from Spanky)
Bishop's Crown
Inca Red Drop
Orange Rocoto
Congo Trinidad

I doubt I will be able to try all of these out this year, but I have saved my seeds in small glass jars with tight-fitting lids for storage over the next year. I have been saving seed from other garden produce and have had good luck with germinating them after two or even three years. The jars are stored in boxes in the garage for a cool dark location for them. I have ordered several compact varieties with an eye toward trying to winter over some of my plants this year. Since I didn't even know peppers were perennial, I can say I've already learned something from this forum!

I purchased a small greenhouse from One Stop Gardens (via Harbor Freight) for $300 four years ago. This is one of the greenhouse kits I've noticed in the greenhouse advertsing bar at the bottom of some of the pages on this forum. This picture is from Spring/ Summer 2011. You can see my tomato and pepper starts on the sheves. I winter over some bonsai trees and jade plants as well as geraniums, begonias and Gerbera Daisies. In the winter, I use a small space heater (visible on ground in the picture) to keep the temp at 40F during the few cold weeks we experience here. So far it has worked pretty well. If overwintering pepper plants becomes a reality I'll be making more room in the greenhouse! I've started a thread in the Grow Tech forum to discuss issues which crop up with these units.

greenhousepan11a.jpg

January 14, 2012:

Composting:

Okay, I need to do something outside. I know, I'll dig out a compost bin. We've had a little dry cool weather, so the worms have burrowed down, and the compost is crumbly, if a tad wet.

DSCN3318sm.jpg

The first step - dig out the bin and sift the material. I use a homemade frame with a layer of 1/4 inch plastic hardware cloth backed with a layer of one inch mesh poultry netting. The fine stuff goes into the wheelbarrow, the coarse stuff into an adjacent compost bin we're still building up.

DSCN3316sm.jpg

The bin on the left is covered to keep the leafy material dry and fluffy. The dry leaves are an important layer in the compost 'cake'. The bin on the right is the one I'm digging out. Nice, dark and crumbly with lots of worms! The sifter is on the wheelbarrow, and some of the coarse stuff is already on the active compost bin in the middle. The bin in the back is resting for several of months. It has a black plastic hardware cloth cover to keep out squirrels and racoons.

DSCN3321sm.jpg

The bin is all dug out. I left about two inches of broken up compost on the bottom of the hole to create a space for the worms to move into. You can see the bin in the middle has a layer of coarse stuff spread out on the top.

DSCN3323sm.jpg

The last step is to put a nice deep layer of dry leaves on the bin we just dug out. Now that bin will rest for a at least several months or more while the earthworms move into the compost/earth interface and do their work. That will make a great base for the next cycle of composting in this bin. I put a thin layer of leaves on the middle bin, too. Now there's a nice layer cake of dirt/compost, leaves. kitchen scraps. All small yard clippings except grass go into the compost bins, even tomato vines and pepper branches and twigs. I don't even chop stuff up too much. I try to have at least 10 or 12 layers of stuff built up before I cover the bin with a layer of dirt/compost and let the worms work for several months. I'm getting about 12-18 cubic feet of compost from these bins a year. My goal is to become 'soil self-sufficient' at some point, perhaps only having to procure horticultural pumice or vermiculite and some peat moss every so often.

DSCN3322sm.jpg

The good stuff. It will go into a plastic, vented storage bin for at lest eight weeks to cure a bit. Then I mix it with a little peat moss and some vermiculite or pumice for aeration. In my large containers, I add 2 or 3 inches of compost worked into the top of the container only every year. I try not to mix up the soil layers in the big containers very much, letting the nutrients percolate down through the soil as in a natural setting. As the blog continues this summer, I'll include photos of the irrigation system and containers I use to grow my tomatoes and peppers, and a few other things.

I cheat and go by scoville scales I find online. What I found though is that they are a huge generalization, with the real heat often being hotter or lower than what it is supposed to be. I popped a tabasco pepper into my mouth straight up a couple of weeks ago thinking that it was well within my range, and the dang thing nearly killed me. But then I tasted a chunk of ghost pepper two nights ago and it was not much hotter.
I've never paid much attention to the scovilles just because there is
so much variation due to temperature, soil, climate, etc. I wouldn't
expect supers grown in my yard in the PacNW to reach the heat of
the supers grown in their 'native' locales. Your anecdote is a perfect
example, I guess.

Tabascos have that reputation. Something about a different capsaicin chemical combination or something like that. Tends to hit people hard even with fewer scovilles. So you're right about them being a generalization. I find it's especially bad if I'm not mentally prepared, then they catch me off guard.
I'm not sure if one can be mentally prepared for some of these bad boys :hell:

Tabascos have that reputation. Something about a different capsaicin chemical combination or something like that. Tends to hit people hard even with fewer scovilles. So you're right about them being a generalization. I find it's especially bad if I'm not mentally prepared, then they catch me off guard.

My wife had the camera there to capture my first tabasco pepper experience, and you are totally right about them catching a person off guard. Both friends and family have been laughing over those pictures ever since.

Speaking of heat, tried another of MGold86's
:twisted: devil pods :twisted: for dinner last night, 7 Pot BP.
This sucker is the biggest pod I've tried so far, so
I thought some more pics that really show my
reviewing method would be in order:
DSCN4587a.jpg

When I cut it open, I knew I was in for something different. I could smell
the chinense scent :drooling: from 2 feet away as soon as I cut it. The inside of the :fireball:
pod looked nice and shiny, like a good pod should:
DSCN4588a.jpg

The seeds were hard to separate, so I just cut them out; hope that
doesn't make me a wus!
DSCN4589a.jpg

The pod halves looked pretty good sitting on my plate, sort of like a
coiled rattlesnake looks good.
DSCN4590a.jpg

I just cut off pieces of the pod and ate it with the casserole. After two
bites, I had major lip burn, and after eating about a quarter of the pod,
my throat was burning, and my lips were really burning. By the time I
was 2/3 of the way through the first half, my eyes were watering, my
throat was burning, and yes, Andy, I had to blow my nose:
DSCN4591a.jpg

This pod was taking me to another level of heat. Finishing the first
half ramped up the heat, major sniffles and mouth breathing. Eyes
really tearing up and my eardrums starting to feel it. My eating was
slowing to a crawl, and I was just kind of sitting there looking at the
rest of the pod. Starting the second half I had OMG throat burn and
my nose was running as fast as my eyes were tearing up; even got a
bit of a cold chill at that point. Finishing about 3/4 of the pod, I was
just resigned that the effects would just keep going. It is what it is!

At this point (notice I have started the second beer ;) ) I was almost done.
My notes say "Big burn. Head itch. Mouth on fire. Nostrils burning".
I began to feel it in my stomach a bit - not anything bad, just my
tummy saying "woah, what's that?" I sat looking at these last
pieces for awhile (this is the size pieces I was cutting off). Talk
about 'slow food'; man, just eat one of these with your meal!
DSCN4593a.jpg

This is the hottest pod I've had so far, I think. Maybe due to the
fact it was so big and seemed to have a fair amount of oil in the
inside. It was definitely a notch above what I have tried so far.
All in all, it was a great experience. I can only imagine what
compressing all the effects into a 10 minute time frame eating
it whole would be like. No wonder folks look like they are on
death's door. My hat's off to you brave souls. I wonder which
one I will try next? We have some great chicken/herb sausages
I'd like to put a couple on a buns with some relish and one of those
hellpods sliced into some nice, lengthwise strips.

Thanks for looking in, my friends; stay tuned for another wimp review :D
Hope you all have a good weekend and the pepper gods smile benignly
on your grows.
:cheers:

Sorry Paul, doesn't count if you cut the placenta. You have to do it all over again, this time without any other food and on an empty stomach. Sorry bud, that's the penalty for cutting the placenta out. Wish there was something I could do for you, but rules are rules...

Of course you know I'm kidding. Love your food pics, they always make me hungry. Good on ya for eating that bad boy. They do indeed pack a punch!

Yeow..............what an expierence! I think they should make that BP a condiment on every dinner table...............ha
Yeah, Greg, IN THE RESTAURANT FROM HELL :onfire: :rofl:

Thanks for checking in, my friend.

Sorry Paul, doesn't count if you cut the placenta. You have to do it all over again, this time without any other food and on an empty stomach. Sorry bud, that's the penalty for cutting the placenta out. Wish there was something I could do for you, but rules are rules...
Dang, I was afraid of that :oops: Can I use a stunt double? Matt? Shane? Andy? Jon? Anyone?
Of course you know I'm kidding. Love your food pics, they always make me hungry. Good on ya for eating that bad boy. They do indeed pack a punch!
Thanks for the kind words, Brian. If it wasn't for the food, I'd be in dire straits!
The weird thing is I'm looking forward to another one! Hope you have a good
weekend, brah!

That's awesome, Paul. I really think that is the way to do it. Small pieces with a meal. No way would I ever just down a whole pod with nothing else. I've been adding minced supers to just about everything lately. The food makes the heat so much more tolerable and enjoyable.

I've yet to do a whole pod, though. You are da man!

That's awesome, Paul. I really think that is the way to do it. Small pieces with a meal. No way would I ever just down a whole pod with nothing else. I've been adding minced supers to just about everything lately. The food makes the heat so much more tolerable and enjoyable.

I've yet to do a whole pod, though. You are da man!
Hey, Doc! That sounds like a good way to spice up a dish.
I have a feeling the 'whole pod reviewers' would say they are
enjoying their feats of tolerance; just maybe in a different way :onfire: :woohoo: :onfire:

Who knows? Maybe someday one of us will be doing a whole pod video review :liar:

Have a good weekend, buddy!

What a great review. I felt your pain and that food looked delicious. You always make me hungry
You are so kind, Pia! I really can't say it was painful, just very intense
sensations. I have to keep remembering that there is no damage, just
nerve ends being stimulated :shocked:

Have a good weekend, and good growing in Jersey!

Tried another MGold86 gift o' heat tonight. Thought I'd give the Fatali
a run since I have one of those in my grow. A really nice looking pod,
long and great shape:
DSCN4595a.jpg

The scent was not near as strong as the 7 Pot BP, and the inside was much
less shiny with oil:
DSCN4596a.jpg

Brian shamed me into trying to get the seeds out without removing part of
the placenta :lol: :
DSCN4597a.jpg

Just sliced each half into 2 or 3 slivers and put
them on the chicken and herb sausages (I ate 2;
these peppers are causing me to eat larger meals :crazy:
Now I have to add some miles to my daily walk :lol: :
DSCN4598a.jpg

The heat in this pod was nowhere that of the 7
Pot, but it had nice flavor with the sausage and
bun. The first dog provided some mouth, tongue
and lip burn; I could have put more than half a
pepper on it, I think. The second dog had more
of the placenta in it, so the heat went up a little
and generated some sniffles. I have to say I was
not bummed out that it didn't burn my face off, but
in my deepest thoughts, I was left wanting a bit
more heat. All-in-all, a great pod. I think it would
dress up a nice piece of salmon just right.

Okay, Weekend is here :party: Now, maybe I can catch
up on some glogs; I know there is a lot going on since
the glog index is turning over faster than an olympic
sprinter's legs!

Have a good growing weekend, everyone!

Awesome review on the pods Paul. Can not wait to see what is up next. Have a great weekend
¡Grácias, amigo! Still deciding which to try next.
Am leaning toward a bhut of some variety The
Costeño Amarillo is starting to set pods art a faster
rate, can't wait to try one of those! I really liked the
pod you sent quite a while back!

Good weekend to you, Fernando!

That's one great looking dog! I have yellow fatalii in my grow list for next year, and I am glad to hear it tastes good.
Thanks, Stefan! Hope your Fatalis produce lots of pods for you.
Mine is starting to put on some decent sized pods; now just a
waiting game to see if we get enough summer to ripen them up!

God growin' north of the border, buddy!

Most mere mortals would be running for the water with that fatalii. Your tolerance is up, my friend.
I would like to think that is true, Doc! I guess if you put enough food with it,
the heat is tolerable! Good growin' down your way, brother!

Yeah the Fatallis and choc Habs are my favorite so far. I haven't eaten many fresh ones. I still have lots of tasting to do
Sounds good, Pia. I still am waiting for a ripe chocolate hab to try out :pray:
Have loads of fun tasting those peppers this weekend!

Great reviews Paul, only way to eat those peppers whole is with a meal! I tried half of a white 7 pod with my brother, tasted great until BAM intense heat. Thought it would never end, my brother and I still laugh about it!! And my oldest brother and mom will never forget that day, running in the house sweating like no other and eyes watering like crazy searching for something to kill the heat! :rofl: Oh man never again, I know my place now! lol. Happy growing to you Paul!

Paul, you are beast! I could never eat a whole 7 Pot with just one plate. I'd have to have many plates of food along with my stretchy "eating pants", a heck of a lot of dairy, and sweatbands. Lots of sweatbands.

Great reviews Paul, only way to eat those peppers whole is with a meal! I tried half of a white 7 pod with my brother, tasted great until BAM intense heat. Thought it would never end, my brother and I still laugh about it!! And my oldest brother and mom will never forget that day, running in the house sweating like no other and eyes watering like crazy searching for something to kill the heat! :rofl: Oh man never again, I know my place now! lol. Happy growing to you Paul!
Great story, Melissa! You and your bro were a brave pair, indeed.
The hardest lessons are the best ones! Now ya know ;) for sure!
It amazes me how fast the heat can smack ya right in the face!

Good weekend to you Melissa!

You are a gift to THP brother! Your way with words is awesome! "Looked nice sitting on the plate, like a coiled rattlesnake looks nice." :rofl: You had me rolling brother! I know firsthand the wonderterribfulness of the Barrackpore. I have ripe ones now, but I really don't wanna eat them after Jamie sent me two of those hell pods! I will though...'cause that's what we do. Keep up the reviews my man.

Back