• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

PaulG 2012

I'm chomping at the bit to get started with some new chilli varieties this coming Spring. So far I've just scratched the surface with Poblanos, Jalapenos and Serranos, all of which I really like. I've been egged on by a new Second Generation Mejicano neighbor as we've talked about hot chillis over the back fence! He helped me make some Pico de Gallo with my Serranos and Early Girl tomatoes and has some great recipes from his mother and grandmother. Hopefully I'll be able to share some of them on this forum in the future. I need to grow more Cilantro. Oh yeah!

I've ordered seed from several sources which received at least a few good comments on this forum (6/12 - items crossed out did not germ, or weren't planted this year):

US Hot Stuff:
Bolivian Rainbow
Yellow Peter
Nosegay
Trinidad Scorpion (from Spankycolts)
Devil Tongue

The Hippy Seed Company: Seed Packet Mixes
NuMex Twilight (from Siliman)
Yellow Jellybeans
Tom Thumbs
Wild Texas Tepin

Refining Fire: Seed Packet Mix
Scotch Bonnet
Chocolate Habanero
Jamaican Red Mushroom

New Mexico State University:
Chiltepin
Omnicolor
Red Carribean Habanero
Orange Habanero

Pepper Gal:
Aji Yellow (request from a Peruvian friend of ours!)
Thai Hot

Peppermania:
Inca Lost
Fatali
White Habanero (from Spanky)
Red Savina (cross with Fatali, from Spanky)
Bishop's Crown
Inca Red Drop
Orange Rocoto
Congo Trinidad

I doubt I will be able to try all of these out this year, but I have saved my seeds in small glass jars with tight-fitting lids for storage over the next year. I have been saving seed from other garden produce and have had good luck with germinating them after two or even three years. The jars are stored in boxes in the garage for a cool dark location for them. I have ordered several compact varieties with an eye toward trying to winter over some of my plants this year. Since I didn't even know peppers were perennial, I can say I've already learned something from this forum!

I purchased a small greenhouse from One Stop Gardens (via Harbor Freight) for $300 four years ago. This is one of the greenhouse kits I've noticed in the greenhouse advertsing bar at the bottom of some of the pages on this forum. This picture is from Spring/ Summer 2011. You can see my tomato and pepper starts on the sheves. I winter over some bonsai trees and jade plants as well as geraniums, begonias and Gerbera Daisies. In the winter, I use a small space heater (visible on ground in the picture) to keep the temp at 40F during the few cold weeks we experience here. So far it has worked pretty well. If overwintering pepper plants becomes a reality I'll be making more room in the greenhouse! I've started a thread in the Grow Tech forum to discuss issues which crop up with these units.

greenhousepan11a.jpg

January 14, 2012:

Composting:

Okay, I need to do something outside. I know, I'll dig out a compost bin. We've had a little dry cool weather, so the worms have burrowed down, and the compost is crumbly, if a tad wet.

DSCN3318sm.jpg

The first step - dig out the bin and sift the material. I use a homemade frame with a layer of 1/4 inch plastic hardware cloth backed with a layer of one inch mesh poultry netting. The fine stuff goes into the wheelbarrow, the coarse stuff into an adjacent compost bin we're still building up.

DSCN3316sm.jpg

The bin on the left is covered to keep the leafy material dry and fluffy. The dry leaves are an important layer in the compost 'cake'. The bin on the right is the one I'm digging out. Nice, dark and crumbly with lots of worms! The sifter is on the wheelbarrow, and some of the coarse stuff is already on the active compost bin in the middle. The bin in the back is resting for several of months. It has a black plastic hardware cloth cover to keep out squirrels and racoons.

DSCN3321sm.jpg

The bin is all dug out. I left about two inches of broken up compost on the bottom of the hole to create a space for the worms to move into. You can see the bin in the middle has a layer of coarse stuff spread out on the top.

DSCN3323sm.jpg

The last step is to put a nice deep layer of dry leaves on the bin we just dug out. Now that bin will rest for a at least several months or more while the earthworms move into the compost/earth interface and do their work. That will make a great base for the next cycle of composting in this bin. I put a thin layer of leaves on the middle bin, too. Now there's a nice layer cake of dirt/compost, leaves. kitchen scraps. All small yard clippings except grass go into the compost bins, even tomato vines and pepper branches and twigs. I don't even chop stuff up too much. I try to have at least 10 or 12 layers of stuff built up before I cover the bin with a layer of dirt/compost and let the worms work for several months. I'm getting about 12-18 cubic feet of compost from these bins a year. My goal is to become 'soil self-sufficient' at some point, perhaps only having to procure horticultural pumice or vermiculite and some peat moss every so often.

DSCN3322sm.jpg

The good stuff. It will go into a plastic, vented storage bin for at lest eight weeks to cure a bit. Then I mix it with a little peat moss and some vermiculite or pumice for aeration. In my large containers, I add 2 or 3 inches of compost worked into the top of the container only every year. I try not to mix up the soil layers in the big containers very much, letting the nutrients percolate down through the soil as in a natural setting. As the blog continues this summer, I'll include photos of the irrigation system and containers I use to grow my tomatoes and peppers, and a few other things.

Paul, you are beast! I could never eat a whole 7 Pot with just one plate. I'd have to have many plates of food along with my stretchy "eating pants", a heck of a lot of dairy, and sweatbands. Lots of sweatbands.
That's funny, Saugapepper :rofl: I'm going to start a sweatband business!
Enjoy what's left of the weekend, buddy!

You are a gift to THP brother! Your way with words is awesome! "Looked nice sitting on the plate, like a coiled rattlesnake looks nice." :rofl: You had me rolling brother! I know firsthand the wonderterribfulness of the Barrackpore. I have ripe ones now, but I really don't wanna eat them after Jamie sent me two of those hell pods! I will though...'cause that's what we do. Keep up the reviews my man.
You are the pepper eating stud, my friend! I like the term you
coined - wonderterribfulness - If I can learn to spell it, it will
come in handy :lol:

Hope you haven't found any more of those prehistoric
hornworms; those things were disgusting. And voracious!

Nice review Paul, The chicken and herb sausage sammy looks mighty tasty
Thanks, it was, indeed. Greg. I'm hoping for another pepper
tasting tonight. Don't know what's for dinner, yet.

Hope your weekend has been a good one so far, brother.
And, you're a page topper!

Thanks for looking in, Jamison - your grow is looking great, my friend!
I have to admit sampling these peppers is really fun!

Nice reviews sir. It was enjoyable as always catching up. It's like a second job following the glogs anymore. I am liking the way you do these reviews compared to the whole pod consumption videos. I guess it's like reading the book instead of watching the movie. Gives me the opportunity to use my own imagination. I hope all is well with you,and also with pops!

Nice reviews sir. It was enjoyable as always catching up. It's like a second job following the glogs anymore. I am liking the way you do these reviews compared to the whole pod consumption videos. I guess it's like reading the book instead of watching the movie. Gives me the opportunity to use my own imagination. I hope all is well with you,and also with pops!
Thanks, my friend, for the visit and kind words. You are right about
trying to keep with the glogs. When I see one at the top of the index
and come back in a few minutes to check it out, it's halfway down
the page. If you don't update for three days, you're on page three!

Hope you are having a good grow as the summer progresses, Pr0d.
Things here are good, and dad is doing great, thanks for asking.

My wife made a nice stir fry with a bunch of stuff from the fridge; I
thought it would be a good dish to try with a primo, not for any reason
but it was a smallish plate (sorry folks, I was in a hurry to eat and forgot
to take a pic of the meal!) and this was one of the smaller pods
MGold86 sent:
DSCN4599a.jpg

I cut the pod in half, and then cut one of the halves in pieces to go with
the stir fry. There were little blobs of oil inside, the scent was strong and
pleasant. I figured that for the small plate, I'd eat half the pod and share
the rest with a neighbor who likes heat.

:fireball: This pod looks wicked sick inside:
DSCN4600a.jpg

The first bite or two gave the expected tongue and mouth burn quickly,
then a few more pieces and the burn spread pretty much to the whole
tongue, mouth and lips. For the whole first quarter, the burn continued
pretty much the same; throw in a little forehead perspiration for fun.
Eating the rest of the first half got the nose running, and I could feel the
heat spreading to my cheeks around my mouth and nose and under my
eyes.

At this point I decided i may be becoming a chilehead after all. I still
had a little food left, so I decided to just go ahead and eat the rest of
the pod :drooling: it was tasting so good. Sorry, neighbor! The third quarter
got my face pretty toasted; the skin around my mouth nose and eyes
felt like i had a sunburn, and my forehead was itchy. The eardrums
and tmj got a little involved, as well. This is a pretty good pod! Eating
the last quarter didn't really raise the heat level much. My face got a
little warmer, but the burn in my mouth, etc. just stayed at about the
same level.

I really liked the Primo. Great heat and lots of sensations, but not blow
your face off like the 7 Pot BP. I think it may be one of my favorites with
the Yellow 7 that Jamie sent a while back. Thanks, brother Matt, you
are the man, my friend!

Hope everybody had a super nice weekend. Watching the Olympics
finale tonight is a great way to end it. Good growing to all!

You're a pretty serious chilihead if you're eating primos and wanting more my friend! I had a Fatalii and a Black Naga with dinner...Fatalii was good, the Naga was painful and not so "good." Bitter taste and after taste. I hope it makes good powder! The Olympics have been really fun this time! Two years 'till the winter Olympics!!!

You're a pretty serious chilihead if you're eating primos and wanting more my friend! I had a Fatalii and a Black Naga with dinner...Fatalii was good, the Naga was painful and not so "good." Bitter taste and after taste. I hope it makes good powder! The Olympics have been really fun this time! Two years 'till the winter Olympics!!!
It's funny to me, but it was true. I just really liked that pod!
Your comments in your glog about the dark peppers made
me wonder if my Chocolate Habs are going to be bitter like that.

The Olympics were awesome this year, for sure. I really wanted
Spain to win the gold for basketball. Just once.
Then the "U.S."NBA team could go back to being big-headed again
in the next Olympics. Overall, the Brits did a smashing job of putting
the games on, I think.

Glad to see you posting like crazy again Paul. Looks like you are going to have some more good harvests in a few weeks time. I hope you are looking after yourself. Cheers Trippa

Glad to see you posting like crazy again Paul. Looks like you are going to have some more good harvests in a few weeks time. I hope you are looking after yourself. Cheers Trippa
Thanks, Trippa! I'm hoping for a long enough season to ripen
things up before we get cold weather. Everything here is good;
dad is doing fine, and my wife and I are having a nice summer.

Hope you are well, too.

Great review of the Primo. And great analogy by Prodigal...reading the book instead of watching the movie.
I guess it would be more like a short story :rofl:
Thanks, buddy!

Glad to see you are moving on to hotter peppers :) wasn't there a time not so long ago that you said you weren't really interested in the superhots?
Ouch! Some people have a good memory! I have to credit
all the folk, including you, who have taken an interest in my
foray into pepper growing, for expanding my horizons. I'm
not sure I'll ever go in a big way for growing them, but there
are a few varieties i will deff try to cultivate!

How are things your way, brother?

Tonight's pod review, Red Scorpanero F2. Great looking pod; not too nice, not too evil:
DSCN4602a.jpg

The seeds were kind of hard to separate from the placenta; had to scrape
pretty hard to get them to fall off. They look ripe enough:
DSCN4604a.jpg

Okay, didn't forget to snap the plate tonight! My wife made some great
chicken quesadillas and a nice caprese salad with garden lettuce and
tomatoes (cherokee purples). This is half the pod:
DSCN4607a.jpg

The first half was great; a little throat burn and some minor sniffles. The
quesadilla was really good! I have to be sure to chew the food up really
good with the pepper pieces to be sure to get the full effect, and just not
swallow them whole. This is a bonus; they say chewing your food
completely is the first step to good digestion ;)

I still had half a pod to go, so I grabbed the last two quesadillas and put the
rest of the pod on one of them:
DSCN4608a.jpg

The second half of the pod got my nose sniffling a little, and there was some
forehead perspiration. A little more mouth and tongue burn, but I was surprised
there was not more mouth burn going on. By the end of the second half, my forehead
was sweating pretty good, and the sniffles were still there. Started to get a little
upper lip burn under my nose. At this point, there was one quesadilla left, and
not to waste the opportunity I decided to try a couple of the early pods off of my
Fatali/Savina (Spankycolts).
DSCN4609a.jpg

Cut the two pods into quarters and put them on the quesadilla:
DSCN4610a.jpg

The taste of the Fatali/Savina was much fruitier than the Scorpanero, and there
was more tongue and mouth burn. The first two half pods caused an increase
in the mouth and lip burn and the sniffles, as well. And the eardrums/tmj were
feeling it as well. That seems to be a recurrent theme with me. Not like a burning,
just a sensation in that area. The second two half pods increased the nose running
and forehead sweating and itch. My nose was itching, too, and had a good
overall mouth and lip burn. As I finished the pods, my eyes were itching and
my temples felt warm. After awhile, i had a pretty nice overall face burn; not a
totally unpleasant sensation. I think the Fatali/Savina was a bit hotter than the
Scorpanero, if that makes sense. I am wondering what they will be like when
they are mature and BIG? Okay, this is fun :fireball:

Thanks for putting up with my odd reviews, everyone :lol:

Not odd at all, loving the reviews. So one superhot wasn't enough? Now you're hardcore! Did half of a chocolate scorpion on my nachos last night. Maybe I'll do some reviews in the likeness of PaulG's someday.

Not odd at all, loving the reviews. So one superhot wasn't enough? Now you're hardcore! Did half of a chocolate scorpion on my nachos last night. Maybe I'll do some reviews in the likeness of PaulG's someday.
Bring it, Doc! if I hadn't had the third quesadilla on my plate I
wouldn't have done it - no leftovers ;) ! How was the Choco
Scorp? There are a couple of chocolate varieties in the box
Matt sent me. Maybe I'll try one of those next.

Hope you are having a good week so far, bro.

Great review on an awesome meal and to top it off you finished two pods in one sitting. :onfire:
Thanks, Fernando, this forum is turning me into a maniac :eek: But three
quesadillas is a bit much. I weighed four more pounds this morning.
Could have been the Dos Equis, as well. I'll do an extra two miles today!

Hope things are good in sunny Cali!

Another great review. What is "tmj"? I was trying to figure it out on my own because I know it's something totally obvious. But I couldn't. Great looking meal and pods sounded very tasty. I love fatallis an imagine a cross with it adds a good taste

Another great review. What is "tmj"? I was trying to figure it out on my own because I know it's something totally obvious. But I couldn't. Great looking meal and pods sounded very tasty. I love fatallis an imagine a cross with it adds a good taste
Hi, Pia, thanks for the kudos ;) It's Temporomandibular Joint; the 'jaw hinge' if
you will. You can feel it just in front of your lower ear. It's not far from the inner ear.
When I eat hot peppers, I get funny sensations there, not really burn, but hard to
describe. I'm not sure why that should happen; maybe someone who reads this
will chime in on that.

I had to walk 6.5 miles today to try to counter the effects of three quesadillas for
dinner last night! These peppers are making me gain weight! I guess that's the
upside of just eating whole peppers straight up; not many calories :lol:

The Fatali/Savina is interesting. The earlier pods all look like habaneros, smooth
and red. Some of the later pods look more like a Fatali, long and gnarly.

Hope you are having a good week!

Dang Paul, l don't know how your able to put the fork down and fire up the camera! I'd have to keep on eating , those look oh-so good!
I have to admit I'm a hands on quesadillas eater.....but the way you have those decked out only a knive and fork would do those justice.

Always looking for your plating photos............... :cool:

Greg

Dang Paul, l don't know how your able to put the fork down and fire up the camera! I'd have to keep on eating , those look oh-so good!
I have to admit I'm a hands on quesadillas eater.....but the way you have those decked out only a knive and fork would do those justice.

Always looking for your plating photos............... :cool:

Greg
I hear ya, Greg. Next time I should have her put the peppers inside,
then I can finger food it! It is distracting to have to keep clicking away,
but I give it up for THP; anything to further the cause no matter the
pain or suffering :D

Have a good week, bro!

Back