• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

PaulG 2012

I'm chomping at the bit to get started with some new chilli varieties this coming Spring. So far I've just scratched the surface with Poblanos, Jalapenos and Serranos, all of which I really like. I've been egged on by a new Second Generation Mejicano neighbor as we've talked about hot chillis over the back fence! He helped me make some Pico de Gallo with my Serranos and Early Girl tomatoes and has some great recipes from his mother and grandmother. Hopefully I'll be able to share some of them on this forum in the future. I need to grow more Cilantro. Oh yeah!

I've ordered seed from several sources which received at least a few good comments on this forum (6/12 - items crossed out did not germ, or weren't planted this year):

US Hot Stuff:
Bolivian Rainbow
Yellow Peter
Nosegay
Trinidad Scorpion (from Spankycolts)
Devil Tongue

The Hippy Seed Company: Seed Packet Mixes
NuMex Twilight (from Siliman)
Yellow Jellybeans
Tom Thumbs
Wild Texas Tepin

Refining Fire: Seed Packet Mix
Scotch Bonnet
Chocolate Habanero
Jamaican Red Mushroom

New Mexico State University:
Chiltepin
Omnicolor
Red Carribean Habanero
Orange Habanero

Pepper Gal:
Aji Yellow (request from a Peruvian friend of ours!)
Thai Hot

Peppermania:
Inca Lost
Fatali
White Habanero (from Spanky)
Red Savina (cross with Fatali, from Spanky)
Bishop's Crown
Inca Red Drop
Orange Rocoto
Congo Trinidad

I doubt I will be able to try all of these out this year, but I have saved my seeds in small glass jars with tight-fitting lids for storage over the next year. I have been saving seed from other garden produce and have had good luck with germinating them after two or even three years. The jars are stored in boxes in the garage for a cool dark location for them. I have ordered several compact varieties with an eye toward trying to winter over some of my plants this year. Since I didn't even know peppers were perennial, I can say I've already learned something from this forum!

I purchased a small greenhouse from One Stop Gardens (via Harbor Freight) for $300 four years ago. This is one of the greenhouse kits I've noticed in the greenhouse advertsing bar at the bottom of some of the pages on this forum. This picture is from Spring/ Summer 2011. You can see my tomato and pepper starts on the sheves. I winter over some bonsai trees and jade plants as well as geraniums, begonias and Gerbera Daisies. In the winter, I use a small space heater (visible on ground in the picture) to keep the temp at 40F during the few cold weeks we experience here. So far it has worked pretty well. If overwintering pepper plants becomes a reality I'll be making more room in the greenhouse! I've started a thread in the Grow Tech forum to discuss issues which crop up with these units.

greenhousepan11a.jpg

January 14, 2012:

Composting:

Okay, I need to do something outside. I know, I'll dig out a compost bin. We've had a little dry cool weather, so the worms have burrowed down, and the compost is crumbly, if a tad wet.

DSCN3318sm.jpg

The first step - dig out the bin and sift the material. I use a homemade frame with a layer of 1/4 inch plastic hardware cloth backed with a layer of one inch mesh poultry netting. The fine stuff goes into the wheelbarrow, the coarse stuff into an adjacent compost bin we're still building up.

DSCN3316sm.jpg

The bin on the left is covered to keep the leafy material dry and fluffy. The dry leaves are an important layer in the compost 'cake'. The bin on the right is the one I'm digging out. Nice, dark and crumbly with lots of worms! The sifter is on the wheelbarrow, and some of the coarse stuff is already on the active compost bin in the middle. The bin in the back is resting for several of months. It has a black plastic hardware cloth cover to keep out squirrels and racoons.

DSCN3321sm.jpg

The bin is all dug out. I left about two inches of broken up compost on the bottom of the hole to create a space for the worms to move into. You can see the bin in the middle has a layer of coarse stuff spread out on the top.

DSCN3323sm.jpg

The last step is to put a nice deep layer of dry leaves on the bin we just dug out. Now that bin will rest for a at least several months or more while the earthworms move into the compost/earth interface and do their work. That will make a great base for the next cycle of composting in this bin. I put a thin layer of leaves on the middle bin, too. Now there's a nice layer cake of dirt/compost, leaves. kitchen scraps. All small yard clippings except grass go into the compost bins, even tomato vines and pepper branches and twigs. I don't even chop stuff up too much. I try to have at least 10 or 12 layers of stuff built up before I cover the bin with a layer of dirt/compost and let the worms work for several months. I'm getting about 12-18 cubic feet of compost from these bins a year. My goal is to become 'soil self-sufficient' at some point, perhaps only having to procure horticultural pumice or vermiculite and some peat moss every so often.

DSCN3322sm.jpg

The good stuff. It will go into a plastic, vented storage bin for at lest eight weeks to cure a bit. Then I mix it with a little peat moss and some vermiculite or pumice for aeration. In my large containers, I add 2 or 3 inches of compost worked into the top of the container only every year. I try not to mix up the soil layers in the big containers very much, letting the nutrients percolate down through the soil as in a natural setting. As the blog continues this summer, I'll include photos of the irrigation system and containers I use to grow my tomatoes and peppers, and a few other things.

Chooowooo another runaway chilli grow list coming through ;). Looking like a marvelous season in 2013 already Paul!! I second stickmans thoughts on the production count being a great idea. Love your work Mr G!!

Wow brother Paul... it looks like the big winners in your grow this year were the Cayenne, followed by the Habaneros, Congo Trinidad, Naga Morich and Fatalli. Your Omnicolor count would probably be a bit higher if you counted the ones you mailed out to me... Thanks for the season's tally, it's all grist for the mill, and perhaps a good idea to make a note of which varieties are the most productive for those growing in limited space. Cheers!
You read my mind, Rick. Cubic inch for cubic inch the Bih Jolokia matched up
well with the Naga Morich. I'm putting both of them in a primo spot next year!
The omnicolor pods I sent you were pods well spent, my friend. I hope the
seeds grow like crazy for you.

Chooowooo another runaway chilli grow list coming through ;). Looking like a marvelous season in 2013 already Paul!! I second stickmans thoughts on the production count being a great idea. Love your work Mr G!!
Thank you for being so kind, my friend!
I hope it's not runaway, Trippa! I kind of felt like a servant to the hand watered
plants this season. I figure if I limit my grow to 40 plants, it will force me to just
hang on to the most productive every season, and weed out the 'i'm growing it
because it's cool' plants. Well, maybe except for a couple ;) .

Paul great list, I look forward to reading along the way :) BTW a silly question from the noob, do you start a new thread every year or just continue and edit title? Personally I'd like to start a new one every year even though my season never ends.

Paul great list, I look forward to reading along the way :) BTW a silly question from the noob, do you start a new thread every year or just continue and edit title? Personally I'd like to start a new one every year even though my season never ends.
Glad you are going to join in the fun!
I'm going to start a new thread for 2013, and I think almost everyone does.
The OW's sort of slop over from one year to the next.
The boys and girls down in OZ have New Year's in the middle of their grow
season, so they have to have, like, 2012-2013 titles.

Dang Paul year round growing outside. Must be that warm winds blowing in from the Pacific ;) Just :crazy:

Wishing you and your family a Merry Christmas and a Spicy New Year my brother :cool:

nice grow and harvest paul...mine most of them was on the ground and dead plants everywhere been busy working didn't even have time to peak on my garden

Dang Paul year round growing outside. Must be that warm winds blowing in from the Pacific ;) Just :crazy:

Wishing you and your family a Merry Christmas and a Spicy New Year my brother :cool:
Thanks, Jamie. Peace and Joy to you and your family, too.

That sounds good in theory :rofl:
The winds don't feel all that warm ;)
Good thing plants aren't affected by wind chill :lol:

nice grow and harvest paul...mine most of them was on the ground and dead plants everywhere been busy working didn't even have time to peak on my garden
Thanks, buddy! Sorry to hear about the carnage :mope: I haven't been
following glogs very well lately, what happened, bro? Sounds like
a hurricane. Or an animal stampede :tear:

Paul I admire your professionalism and your technical aspects you portrayed in this glog..........if you ever decide on testing to become
a "Master Gardener".......your public service here would keep you busy full time........... :cool: ....and I know you'd be able to handle the questions...
I'm looking forward to your 2013 glog. This thread was jam packed with all sorts of info!.I really enjoyed the cooking entries........I swear I gained 10lbs just checking out the photography........ha
Also, your garden grew great!...........nice work ....cutting edge.....Theres no guarantee when cloning, but you took the challenge to the finish!

Once again, thanks for all your thoughts, comments and replies..............they are always worth the read...
Happy Holidays...

Greg

Incredibly productive based on your powder weight count. How on earth did you keep track of all that? No matter, still incredibly impressive. Looking forward to your 2013!

Great #'s Brother! As modest as your grow list started this season, it was really fun to watch it evolve! I thought you were nuts when you started those plants mid summer...but you still pushed them through to the finish line!!! :party: I look forward to your next season brother...happy holidays my man. Have a couple cold ones on me!!!

Paul I admire your professionalism and your technical aspects you portrayed in this glog..........if you ever decide on testing to become
a "Master Gardener".......your public service here would keep you busy full time........... :cool: ....and I know you'd be able to handle the questions...
I'm looking forward to your 2013 glog. This thread was jam packed with all sorts of info!.I really enjoyed the cooking entries........I swear I gained 10lbs just checking out the photography........ha
Also, your garden grew great!...........nice work ....cutting edge.....Theres no guarantee when cloning, but you took the challenge to the finish!

Once again, thanks for all your thoughts, comments and replies..............they are always worth the read...
Happy Holidays...

Greg
You are more than generous, my friend. I could say the same things
about your glog! The photos have always been top notch, and the
subject matter impeccable, complete with how-to stuff!

The clones were fun, and the ones I kept turned out great. I gave away
most of them! The Chocolate Hab clone was the champion. I may try
to clone the bushy aji.

Holiday Cheer,Greg!

Incredibly productive based on your powder weight count. How on earth did you keep track of all that? No matter, still incredibly impressive. Looking forward to your 2013!
I was pleased with the result. I just kept all the dry pods in zip locks and
weighed them all at the same time. Now what to do with them!

Thanks for the kind words, Brent.
Cheers, brother.

Great #'s Brother! As modest as your grow list started this season, it was really fun to watch it evolve! I thought you were nuts when you started those plants mid summer...but you still pushed them through to the finish line!!! :party: I look forward to your next season brother...happy holidays my man. Have a couple cold ones on me!!!
Isn't that crazy? The nice mild Fall really saved my bacon on that one!
i thought I was nuts, too. As it turns out, I think they all wound up producing
something. Even the Tepin 15 and Tepin x are hanging in there in the cold
weather! Looking forward to pix of the Christmas lights in action, bro!

Holiday joy and peace to you and your family, Shane!
yup,you need to wright a book on greenhouse growing for idiots like me.
That would be a short book, my friend :rofl:
Have a nice Christmas, buddy!

Thanks, Rick. Same to you, my friend. Safe travels, bud.

Paul, wow, what a way to finally close out the grow season and what a grow it was. Really cool numbers there.
As this was my first year to really get out and grow something I picked up alot of great info from you. Your Glog was just chalk full of great info.
I'm really looking forward to following your Glog next year too,

Speaking of which Here's, lifts mug of homebrewed Pumpkin Ale, to a Great New Year and Bountiful Grows!

Bill

Happy holidays Paul. How's the shelves?!
Hey, KD! They are locked and loaded, ready to go. I think
I will start the seeds soaking on Jan 1.

Happy New Year to you and your family!

Paul, wow, what a way to finally close out the grow season and what a grow it was. Really cool numbers there.
As this was my first year to really get out and grow something I picked up alot of great info from you. Your Glog was just chalk full of great info.
I'm really looking forward to following your Glog next year too,

Speaking of which Here's, lifts mug of homebrewed Pumpkin Ale, to a Great New Year and Bountiful Grows!

Bill
Thanks, Bill. It could have been a lot worse! I'm glad you were able
to find some tidbits of information among all the great stuff people
have posted on this thread. Homebrew Pumpkin Ale. Nice!

Happy New Year, brother!

The baccatums are looking really sad, and lost most of their last leaves today.
The ripening has slowed considerably in the past few days. These pix are from 12/26:
DSCN5124a.jpg

Yellow Ajis:
DSCN5127a.jpg

Bishops' Crowns:
DSCN5126a.jpg

We are looking at freezing or near freezing for a good number of days in the 10-day forecast.
We have been so lucky and I didn't want to tempt fate, so harvested anything that looked like
it could have a chance of ripening up in the garage!

:dance: Official December 28th Harvest :dance: if you can believe that!

Costeño Amarillos and the last three Orange Rocotos:
DSCN5128a.jpg

Bishop's Crowns:
DSCN5129a.jpg

Yellow Ajis:
DSCN5130a.jpg

Ripening up on the workbench:
DSCN5131a.jpg

There are still lots of green pods on the plants, so am just going to leave them until they make it or die.
The greenhouse Yellow Aji has about a dozen ripe pods, and more ripening. The 7 Manzano pods continue
to darken.

I suppose this would be my last update of 2012, unless something
unusual comes up. Maybe a pic of any greenhouse Ajis that get
picked before New Year's Eve or if the bench top pods ripen up
soon. It's been a good run this season. Will make one last entry
in the blog section, and call it good for the year!
Speaking of, here's to a :party: Happy New Year :party: for all THP folk! :cheers:

Back