• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

PaulG 2012

I'm chomping at the bit to get started with some new chilli varieties this coming Spring. So far I've just scratched the surface with Poblanos, Jalapenos and Serranos, all of which I really like. I've been egged on by a new Second Generation Mejicano neighbor as we've talked about hot chillis over the back fence! He helped me make some Pico de Gallo with my Serranos and Early Girl tomatoes and has some great recipes from his mother and grandmother. Hopefully I'll be able to share some of them on this forum in the future. I need to grow more Cilantro. Oh yeah!

I've ordered seed from several sources which received at least a few good comments on this forum (6/12 - items crossed out did not germ, or weren't planted this year):

US Hot Stuff:
Bolivian Rainbow
Yellow Peter
Nosegay
Trinidad Scorpion (from Spankycolts)
Devil Tongue

The Hippy Seed Company: Seed Packet Mixes
NuMex Twilight (from Siliman)
Yellow Jellybeans
Tom Thumbs
Wild Texas Tepin

Refining Fire: Seed Packet Mix
Scotch Bonnet
Chocolate Habanero
Jamaican Red Mushroom

New Mexico State University:
Chiltepin
Omnicolor
Red Carribean Habanero
Orange Habanero

Pepper Gal:
Aji Yellow (request from a Peruvian friend of ours!)
Thai Hot

Peppermania:
Inca Lost
Fatali
White Habanero (from Spanky)
Red Savina (cross with Fatali, from Spanky)
Bishop's Crown
Inca Red Drop
Orange Rocoto
Congo Trinidad

I doubt I will be able to try all of these out this year, but I have saved my seeds in small glass jars with tight-fitting lids for storage over the next year. I have been saving seed from other garden produce and have had good luck with germinating them after two or even three years. The jars are stored in boxes in the garage for a cool dark location for them. I have ordered several compact varieties with an eye toward trying to winter over some of my plants this year. Since I didn't even know peppers were perennial, I can say I've already learned something from this forum!

I purchased a small greenhouse from One Stop Gardens (via Harbor Freight) for $300 four years ago. This is one of the greenhouse kits I've noticed in the greenhouse advertsing bar at the bottom of some of the pages on this forum. This picture is from Spring/ Summer 2011. You can see my tomato and pepper starts on the sheves. I winter over some bonsai trees and jade plants as well as geraniums, begonias and Gerbera Daisies. In the winter, I use a small space heater (visible on ground in the picture) to keep the temp at 40F during the few cold weeks we experience here. So far it has worked pretty well. If overwintering pepper plants becomes a reality I'll be making more room in the greenhouse! I've started a thread in the Grow Tech forum to discuss issues which crop up with these units.

greenhousepan11a.jpg

January 14, 2012:

Composting:

Okay, I need to do something outside. I know, I'll dig out a compost bin. We've had a little dry cool weather, so the worms have burrowed down, and the compost is crumbly, if a tad wet.

DSCN3318sm.jpg

The first step - dig out the bin and sift the material. I use a homemade frame with a layer of 1/4 inch plastic hardware cloth backed with a layer of one inch mesh poultry netting. The fine stuff goes into the wheelbarrow, the coarse stuff into an adjacent compost bin we're still building up.

DSCN3316sm.jpg

The bin on the left is covered to keep the leafy material dry and fluffy. The dry leaves are an important layer in the compost 'cake'. The bin on the right is the one I'm digging out. Nice, dark and crumbly with lots of worms! The sifter is on the wheelbarrow, and some of the coarse stuff is already on the active compost bin in the middle. The bin in the back is resting for several of months. It has a black plastic hardware cloth cover to keep out squirrels and racoons.

DSCN3321sm.jpg

The bin is all dug out. I left about two inches of broken up compost on the bottom of the hole to create a space for the worms to move into. You can see the bin in the middle has a layer of coarse stuff spread out on the top.

DSCN3323sm.jpg

The last step is to put a nice deep layer of dry leaves on the bin we just dug out. Now that bin will rest for a at least several months or more while the earthworms move into the compost/earth interface and do their work. That will make a great base for the next cycle of composting in this bin. I put a thin layer of leaves on the middle bin, too. Now there's a nice layer cake of dirt/compost, leaves. kitchen scraps. All small yard clippings except grass go into the compost bins, even tomato vines and pepper branches and twigs. I don't even chop stuff up too much. I try to have at least 10 or 12 layers of stuff built up before I cover the bin with a layer of dirt/compost and let the worms work for several months. I'm getting about 12-18 cubic feet of compost from these bins a year. My goal is to become 'soil self-sufficient' at some point, perhaps only having to procure horticultural pumice or vermiculite and some peat moss every so often.

DSCN3322sm.jpg

The good stuff. It will go into a plastic, vented storage bin for at lest eight weeks to cure a bit. Then I mix it with a little peat moss and some vermiculite or pumice for aeration. In my large containers, I add 2 or 3 inches of compost worked into the top of the container only every year. I try not to mix up the soil layers in the big containers very much, letting the nutrients percolate down through the soil as in a natural setting. As the blog continues this summer, I'll include photos of the irrigation system and containers I use to grow my tomatoes and peppers, and a few other things.

Great looking chilli, bet it was great! Funny my wife made some last week too, although we used JA Habs in ours, certainly not as powerful but tasty too :)
For me, cutting the Fatali into small pieces and mixing it in, the heat is
spread out so even though there are some sniffles and itchy brow it's
a good feeling! I know yours was just as good!

Forgot to post the latest 'harvest'. Two Orange Rocotos (two left
on the plant) and a peruvian market Yellow Aji, plant cut down:
DSCN5076a.jpg

And I brought the Wild Texas Tepin (HSC) in to the garage, and discovered the root ball
had shrunk away from the bottom of the pot. Am going to let it rehab a little on the work
bench, then clean up the root ball and put into a 1 gallon Root Pouch:
DSCN5077a.jpg

Hi Paul, nice to see you back in the saddle.
+1

Been missing the foodie pics. That chile looks awesome and I bet the Fatalii was a great match with it!
Thanks, fellas. It's always best when my honey works her magic!
The Fatali had significant heat, but not a mouth melter. Just gave
the chili a nice kick and me a little toasty-face!

Forecast for 30˚F tonight.

Paul, I like that plate happy face, nice shot :)
Haha! Thanks for noticing WG!
dang you have some fancy dishes. that bowl of chili deserved it though.
They look very cool but are really cheap institutional stuff.
The chili was too good for them. Just kidding. My wife loves them.
Still getting pods there Paul!!! Nice work !!! Merry Christmas up there!!! Stay warm and chilli fueled!! Peace trippa
The forecast says above freezing for a few more nights. Who knows.
The plants look sad, but the pods are slowly ripening and I'm inching
closer to another harvest. We have skimmed freezing the past few
nights and are having wet snow showers and intermittent sun breaks
today.
Christmas cheer :cheers:

Thanks for stopping by!

Looks like you have all the hatches battened down and are ready for what ever may come there Brother Paul. Love the Green House. how are you controling heat / cool in it?

Pretty amazing for this time of the year we have had freezing nights and some days since the end of October and I had to bring in and cut back the few pepper plants that I wanted to Overwinter. I have a extra south facing bedroom that I keep all my plants in except for two large cactus plants that are to dangerous to move around much. I'll be glad when the 15th of Jan gets here and I can start my seedlings off and won't have to stare at my poor cut back plants.
Your yellow Aji and Bishop crowns look tasty, I really like them pickled.
Well good luck with them.

Looks like you have all the hatches battened down and are ready for what ever may come there Brother Paul. Love the Green House. how are you controling heat / cool in it?
Hey, Bill, thanks for the visit! I think we are just about ready for winter. I just
need to harvest those last few plants that won't stop going! My greenhouse
isn't really climate controlled. I just have a little $13 Patton electric heater I
got at Home Depot; this is it's third season. I try to set the thermostat kick on
at 45˚ or so. It was 32˚ last night outside, and 43˚ in the greenhouse, so not
horrible for over wintering. In the summer, I don't keep much in it since it does
get too hot, and I don't want to mess with shade cloth, etc.

Pretty amazing for this time of the year we have had freezing nights and some days since the end of October and I had to bring in and cut back the few pepper plants that I wanted to Overwinter. I have a extra south facing bedroom that I keep all my plants in except for two large cactus plants that are to dangerous to move around much. I'll be glad when the 15th of Jan gets here and I can start my seedlings off and won't have to stare at my poor cut back plants.
Your yellow Aji and Bishop crowns look tasty, I really like them pickled.
Well good luck with them.
The Yellow Aji is a fabulous pepper. Decent heat and very nice tasting, big pods.
The Bishop's Crowns are okay. I've had a few as poppers, but it's not a pepper
that turns me on much; never had a pickled one though, so will withhold judgement.
They are way cool lookin', though! I know what you mean about wanting to get going
with your seeds; one gets tired of looking at dormant plants!

I doubt our freezing periods have been more than a couple of hours long, according to
the hourly temperature reports over the past several weeks. Our turn is coming, though.
We have highs in the low 40's and high 30's right now, so a nice long winter spell is surely
in the offing.

Looking good bro..
Thanks, Kevin. How are things in Salem Towne?
Get any snow today?

Christmas cheer, friends :cheers: !

Bringing in the December pods up in Oregon!!! :woohoo: :party:
Is that crazy or what!
BTW the Wild Brazil seed you sent me were the c. preatermissum, right?
Elongated red pods? Trippa and I have been discussing these plants.
Merry Christmas, bro!

Nice harvest enough to explain how your grow year has gone and still going. The Wild Texas Tepin look amazing I am growing a few of the smaller pods like the chiletepin and CGN varieties to see how they go, since they seem to be inconstant production.
Merry Christmas and hope your new season is as productive

I moved my garage plants into the greenhouse, now have
benches full of pepper plants spending the winter there.
This is sort of an accident, I never planned to keep more
than a few as an experiment, but here is the list of OW
greenhouse plants as an initial experimental foray into this
aspect of chili pepper growing. Source in parentheses,
P = plant:
Explosive Ember, c. annuum (THSC)​
NuMex Twilight, c. annuum (CPI from Ken/Siliman)​
Black Pearl, c. annuum (THSC)​
Goat's Weed, c. annuum (Shane/Stc3248)​
Bushy Peruvian Market Yellow Aji, c. baccatum
Red Manzano, c. pubescens (Shane)​
Wild Texas Tepin, c. annuum (THSC)​
Wild Brazil c. baccatum var. praetermissum (Shane)​
Fatali, c. chinense (Peppermania)​
Ghost Pepper, c. chinense (Robin/Spankycolts P)​
Chocolate Habanero, c. chinense (Refining Fire), also 2 in #1 pots​
'Red' Habanero, c. chinense (Lily Miller)​
Peach Habanero, c. chinense (Fernando/SocalChilihead)​
Congo Trinidad, c. chinense (Peppermania)​

Okay, that's ridiculous. Sixteen? I just started with a few to finish
off in the greenhouse, but they did so well, I just decided to try to
save a few more! If all those survive, then the following are seeds
I will start for the next season. If any OW dies, I'll start seeds to
replace them if it's not too late. Seed source in parentheses,
P = plant, H = my pod harvest OP, * = repeat:
*Costeño Amarillo, c. annuum (Fernando) H​
*Orange Rocoto, c. pubescens (Peppermania) H​
*Chiltepin, c.annuum (CPI)
*Tepin cross, c. annuum (Shane) H​
*Tepin 15, c. annuum (Shane) H​
Devil's Tongue, c. chinense (USHotStuff)​
Yellow Seven, c. chinense (Trippa)​
*Naga Morich, c. chinense (Robin P) H​
*Bih Jolokia, c. chinense (Robin P) H​
Bonda Ma Jacques, c. chinense (Trippa)​
Bahamian Goat, c. chinense (Trippa)​
Congo Trinidad Yellow, c. chinense (Pia/Sanarda pod)​
*Red Caribbean, c. chinense (CPI)​
Jamaican Red Habanero, c. chinense (Ferry Morse)​
Red Savina, c. chinense (Peppermania)​
Jamaican Red Mushroom, c. chinense (Refining Fire)​
White Habanero, c. chinense (Peppermania)​
Orange Habanero, c. chinense (CPI)​
*Fatali/Savina, c. chinense (Robin P) H​
*Pointed Yellow Habanero, c. chinense (Robin P) H​
Scotch Bonnet MoA, c. chinense (Steve)​
Scotch Bonnet TFM, c. chinense (Trippa)​
Yellow Scotch Bonnet, c. chinense (Refining Fire)​
*Giant White Habanero, c. chinense (Robin P) H​

That makes almost 40 plants, almost all on some kind of drip system.
I have space for three more plants at the present moment. This is
the plan at the moment, but we all know how that can go, right? Time
will tell.

Nice harvest enough to explain how your grow year has gone and still going. The Wild Texas Tepin look amazing I am growing a few of the smaller pods like the chiletepin and CGN varieties to see how they go, since they seem to be inconstant production.
Merry Christmas and hope your new season is as productive
Thanks, Fernando. The small varieties should do well for you down there.
Looking forward to seeing how your new chili year starts off! You set the
bar pretty high, my friend!
Holiday cheer :cheers:

Snowed for 5 min.. :confused: I cant wait to move back to Estacada............ Only down side will be way smaler gardan.

Thanks, Kevin. How are things in Salem Towne?
Get any snow today?

Christmas cheer, friends :cheers: !

"This is the plan at the moment, but we all know how that can go, right?"

You'll be at 90 plants by spring! ;)

Seriously, its nice having that greenhouse, isn't it?

Snowed for 5 min.. :confused: I cant wait to move back to Estacada............ Only down side will be way smaler gardan.
Maybe container growing is in your future, Kevin!

"This is the plan at the moment, but we all know how that can go, right?"

You'll be at 90 plants by spring! ;)

Seriously, its nice having that greenhouse, isn't it?
Right on, Brent! The greenhouse is indispensable for growing anything that takes
longer than 5-6 months to ripen. With my indoor grow shelf and the greenhouse,
I can stretch the grow season by two months on either end.

Oh, please, 90 plants? Yikes! I really am going to hold my grow down to a size
where it all is on the drip system, except a few. Really. I had too much hand
watering this year :rolleyes:
I know you are enjoying your greenhouse, my friend! Hope it gives you lots of nice
Christmas presents.

Results of this season's grow, grams of dry pods:
Ornamentals: 379
Explosive Ember.........................28​
Bolivian Rainbow........................86​
Black Pearl.................................73​
NuMex Twilight...........................62​
Omnicolor...................................40​
Costeño Amarillo........................18 (still a few on plant ripening)​
Inca Red Drop............................72​
Miscellaneous: 263
Poblano smoked.........................17​
Yellow Wax.................................44​
Or Rocoto...................................25​
Tepin...........................................23 (still a few on plant ripening)​
Goat's Weed................................8 (most hanging in a rista, so not weighed yet)​
Cumari Verdadeiro......................10 (Wild Brazil)​
Hot Cherry....................................8​
Cayenne......................................128​
Habaneros and hotter: 869
Red Caribbean............................37​
Peruvian White Habanero...........26​
Giant White Habanero................116 (gave some away)​
Pointed Yellow Habanero...........70​
Congo Trinidad...........................115 (gave some away)​
'Red' Habanero..........................73​
Chocolate Habanero..................60​
Fatali/Savina...............................78​
Fatali...........................................27​
Ghost..........................................15​
Infinity.........................................11​
Butch T......................................28​
'Casper' Ghost hybrid?..............37​
Naga Morich..............................79​
Bih Jolokia.................................54​
Tuca Chocolate something........23​
Total.....................................................1511gr / just under 3-1/3 lbs

I'm pretty sure I accounted for everything, but take the
number as just a real good estimate! I'm not sure how that
translates to pounds of pods. Plus I have a lot of Ajis and
Bishop's Crowns to harvest still. Will probably freeze the Aji's,
but will weigh them. Will weigh the Bishop's Crowns, as well.
Not sure what I'll do with them. They seem to keep well in
the fridge.

Wow brother Paul... it looks like the big winners in your grow this year were the Cayenne, followed by the Habaneros, Congo Trinidad, Naga Morich and Fatalli. Your Omnicolor count would probably be a bit higher if you counted the ones you mailed out to me... Thanks for the season's tally, it's all grist for the mill, and perhaps a good idea to make a note of which varieties are the most productive for those growing in limited space. Cheers!

Back