• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

PaulG 2013

We are starting the New Year with a little run of freezing weather; lows in the 25˚F range at night.

1/1/13 - Soaked seeds 24+ hours, put into seed starting mix (BG, peat and perlite mix). The temp in the grow shelf about 72 degrees, the dome trays about 84 degrees.

DSCN5133a.jpg

DSCN5134a.jpg

DSCN5136a.jpg

Here's the seed and overwinter list for this season:

OW greenhouse plants. Seed source in parentheses, P = plant:

Explosive Ember, c. annuum (THSC)​
NuMex Twilight, c. annuum (CPI from Ken/Siliman)​
Black Pearl, c. annuum (THSC)​
Goat's Weed, c. annuum (Shane/Stc3248)​
Bushy Peruvian Market Yellow Aji, c. baccatum
Red Manzano, c. pubescens (Shane)​
Wild Texas Tepin, c. annuum (THSC)​
(?) Wild Brazil c. baccatum var. praetermissum (Shane)​
Fatali, c. chinense (Peppermania)​
Ghost Pepper, c. chinense (Robin/Spankycolts P)​
Chocolate Habanero, c. chinense (Refining Fire), also 2 in #1 pots​
'Red' Habanero, c. chinense (Lily Miller) - orange pods​
Peach Habanero, c. chinense (Fernando/SocalChilihead)​
Congo Trinidad, c. chinense (Peppermania)​

Seeds for this season. Seed source in parentheses, P = plant,

H = my pod harvest OP, * = repeat from 2012:​

*Costeño Amarillo, c. annuum (Fernando) H​
*Chiltepin, c.annuum (CPI)
*Marconi Rosso, c. annuum (Hume Organic)​
*Tepin cross, c. annuum (Shane) H​
*Tepin 15, c. annuum (Shane) H​
*Orange Rocoto, c. pubescens (Peppermania) H​
Devil's Tongue, c. chinense (USHotStuff)​
Yellow Seven, c. chinense (Trippa)​
*Naga Morich, c. chinense (Robin P) H​
*Bih Jolokia, c. chinense (Robin P) H​
Bonda Ma Jacques, c. chinense (Trippa)​
Bahamian Goat, c. chinense (Trippa)​
Congo Trinidad Yellow, c. chinense (Pia/Sanarda pod)​
*Congo Trinidad Red, c. chinense (Peppermania) H​
*Red Habanero, c. chinense (CPI)​
Jamaican Red Habanero, c. chinense (Ferry Morse)​
Red Savina, c. chinense (Peppermania)​
Jamaican Red Mushroom, c. chinense (Refining Fire)​
Peruvian White Habanero, c. chinense (Peppermania)​
Orange Habanero, c. chinense (CPI)​
*Fatali/Savina, c. chinense (Robin P) H​
*Pointed Yellow Habanero, c. chinense (Robin P) H​
Scotch Bonnet MoA, c. chinense (Steve)​
Scotch Bonnet TFM, c. chinense (Trippa)​
Yellow Scotch Bonnet, c. chinense (Refining Fire)​
*Giant White Habanero, c. chinense (Robin P) H​

[background=rgb(255, 244, 228)]"We took a cruise to Costa Maya, Belize, Roatan Honduras, and Cozumel"[/background]

[background=rgb(255, 244, 228)]Wow that sucks man...sorry to hear it!"[/background] :liar: :rofl:

Any time I come home to plants that are still upright I am happy! :party:

hahahhaha....tops too!

Sounds like a good cruise Paul. Were you able to scope out anuy peppers and get some fresh pods at any of the local markets during the excursions while in port? I could see where a few of those location might have something good to offer.​

Paul, the plants look great ... are you sure they didn't miss you :D
Thanks, Ramon. I have finally figured out that I could probably
train a monkey to do what I do with the plants!

Welcome back Paul! Sounds like you had a nice little adventure. Glad to hear the grow is still kickin' I'm going to try that cloning in water, I've tried straight into dirt with no success yet
Thanks, David! The cloning in dirt is tricky because of the water issue.
Fine line between too wet and not moist enough. The water clones look
like they will make it, especially the biggest one. That would be nice, because
my Tepin seeds didn't sprout for me this year. Hopefully the Tepin OW will
continue to survive, too. Good luck with your next round!

Welcome back Paul... Glad you had a vacation to unwind a bit. Did you scout out any new Caribbean pepper varieties while you were there? Plants look dandy...
Thanks, Rick. I'd like to spend more time in some of the places we visited.
In Roatan, I did get 3 'Mountain Peppers' from a bar/restaurant owner.
They are def small habanero types, sort of a yellow/peach color, and chinense
scent. I have the seeds drying, but don't have any space for germinating now!
Will try to get a late start to produce a few pods as soon as I can.

Welcome back my good man. Glad you had a good time. Plants look great. They survived without you.....
Thanks, Pia. We did have a good time!
The plants did just fine; guess I need to get that trained monkey!

[background=rgb(255, 244, 228)]"We took a cruise to Costa Maya, Belize, Roatan Honduras, and Cozumel"[/background]

[background=rgb(255, 244, 228)]Wow that sucks man...sorry to hear it!"[/background] :liar: :rofl:

Any time I come home to plants that are still upright I am happy! :party:

hahahhaha....tops too!
I knew I'd find you here, brother :lol:
I was happy to see that, myself! In a couple of months,
they will be as big as yours are now!

Sounds like a good cruise Paul. Were you able to scope out anuy peppers and get some fresh pods at any of the local markets during the excursions while in port? I could see where a few of those location might have something good to offer.​
I didn't get a chance to look in Belize. I nabbed a few
Serrano seeds in Cozumel, along with the Mountain
Peppers in Roatan.
The downside of going on a cruise is you don't get to
spend a lot of time in one place. I imagine the Southern
Caribbean would be a more fertile place to search. Have
to put that on my bucket list!

Paul!!!! So I started my glog late, have been looking for yours, apparently you were on a cruise and I missed it, and wondered where you were this year. Then I find your glog and it's already 47 pages (or so)! So, I'm caught up. Loved the group peer pressure to get you to get some pics up. They don't let you rest. I've had troubles getting my orange manzanos to germinate, but it looks like yours is going gangbusters. I saw it in one of your last pics, nice, dark green and fuzzy. Looking great Paul - looking forward to another awesome season.

Hey Paul. You answered a PM of mine concerning "cuttings" back on Mach 10th. You linked me to the part of your 2012 glog where you started cloning. Well, I wound up reading all 88 pages of that glog and now 15 pages of this year's stuff. It took many hours for me to complete the trip!

Your 88 pages was a good read although I was awfully saddened with the passing of your Dad. I knew two WWII paratroopers and will never forget either. They were heroes in every sense of the word. I'm sure your father stood equal with them all. Was your Dad 101st or 82nd?

I had a crazy accident and may not get any peppers started this year. I just stumbled, never fell, and cracked a vertebrae in my back. But reading of your pepper exploits is plenty enjoyable for me. You have many of us enjoying "vicariously" your pepper-growing. I will try and keep-up with your glog. But, if I can start moving around a little more, I'll have plenty to do in getting a very late garden and seed-starting program going.

Paul!!!! So I started my glog late, have been looking for yours, apparently you were on a cruise and I missed it, and wondered where you were this year. Then I find your glog and it's already 47 pages (or so) HELP! don't say that! I really am trying to keep it reasonable this year! So, I'm caught up. Loved the group peer pressure to get you to get some pics up. They don't let you rest. No kidding these people are pros! I've had troubles getting my orange manzanos to germinate, but it looks like yours is going gangbusters. I saw it in one of your last pics, nice, dark green and fuzzy. Looking great Paul - looking forward to another awesome season.
Glad to hear you have started up your glog, Andy! Can't wait to see
what magic you work this season. If you need some more Orange
Rocoto seeds let me know and I'll send you a few. Three of the four
I managed to get up and going look pretty good. One still has curly
leaves.
Glad the cruise was awesome. Hope to see some growth out of seeds from the foreign peppers you picked up!
I'll give them a whirl before too long, Brent!
Here's a pic of the dried 'Mountain Peppers' from Roatan, Honduras. They
were small, not much more than an inch or so long, and habanero shaped.
DSCN5236a_zpsa0407d7f.jpg

Hey Paul. You answered a PM of mine concerning "cuttings" back on Mach 10th. You linked me to the part of your 2012 glog where you started cloning. Well, I wound up reading all 88 pages of that glog and now 15 pages of this year's stuff. It took many hours for me to complete the trip!

Your 88 pages was a good read although I was awfully saddened with the passing of your Dad. I knew two WWII paratroopers and will never forget either. They were heroes in every sense of the word. I'm sure your father stood equal with them all. Was your Dad 101st or 82nd?

I had a crazy accident and may not get any peppers started this year. I just stumbled, never fell, and cracked a vertebrae in my back. But reading of your pepper exploits is plenty enjoyable for me. You have many of us enjoying "vicariously" your pepper-growing. I will try and keep-up with your glog. But, if I can start moving around a little more, I'll have plenty to do in getting a very late garden and seed-starting program going.
Yes, I remember that. I'm glad you were able to slog through all that,
hopefully without permanent damage! Dad was in the 17th Airborne,
513th Parachute Infantry Regiment. They participated in the jump
over Wesel, Germany.

Sorry to hear about your bad luck. I hope you get so busy with your
peppers that you don't have time for my glog! Take care of that back,
my friend. Is there any treatment besides taking it easy?
Grow is looking awesome. Keep em growing!!!
Thanks, Bodeen! Been lucky so far!

There are a half dozen or so OverWinters that have survived to this point, and started
putting out green growth. I had 16 sitting in the greenhouse. Two are not pictured, a
little Choc Hab and a Congo Trinidad Red, both in gallon pots. They have little growth
bumps, but not much 'foliage', yet. All these are second year plants. I didn't do any-
thing special, just gave them a good watering in the late Fall and put them in the green-
house. You can see that at the end of my 2012 glog. These are the apparent survivors.

Wild Texas Tepin. I thinned out the branches a little today:
DSCN5240a_zps57e40cf9.jpg

Wild Brazil from Shane's seed. There was a central trunk with three branches around
the base. Only one branch sprouted new leaves, but there are new growth buds
on the lower trunk also. Dead wood cut out today:
DSCN5241a_zpsa9aa5c0c.jpg

'Black Pearl'. Looks like one dead branch in the fork:
DSCN5242a_zps3dfe0bb0.jpg

NuMex Twilight. Seed from Siliman last season. I'll probably trim
the fork back to the main trunk, eventually:
DSCN5243a_zps973cc0b0.jpg

Fatali. This is the first plant that I thought might make an OW last
Fall. It, and several others, seemed to thrive in the greenhouse
environment.
DSCN5244a_zps8688d710.jpg

Red Manzano. Shane's seed. This one has grown throughout the
winter, with some dormant periods. I just recently cut the three main
branches back to the forks, except for the one with the pods.
DSCN5245a_zps804500a1.jpg

It set a half dozen or so pods, which stayed green on the plant until the beginning of
March. Several of the smaller ones softened and fell off, you can see them in the above
picture, but two have remained. They turned very dark green for a long time, then a few
days ago, started to go through some color changes. Maybe they will actually ripen:
DSCN5246a_zps5483502d.jpg

Now to see if they survive through the Spring!

Wow Paul....PODS!!! I didn't get any of the wild brazils to pop...so maybe you can save me a pod. Your Yellow Ajis from Peru are rocking. Crazy fast growers! I kept the strongest and its now out in the cruel world away from my nice toasty grow room. Way to go Paul, you make this stuff look EASY!

OW's look awesome! Just waking up from their winter naps. And pods coming...very nice. And the Aji Yellow...I have to agree with Shane. I have one growing and it is by far my tallest plant. It was sown mid October and is almost 5 feet tall! It is covered in bud just about to become flowers. Really looking forward to this one!

Look at you! Peppers already - year round grow - just like the Florida folks! Well done!
Hey, Andy! Not sure I'd call it a 'grow' ;) - a few peppers stayed
alive during the winter! :lol: Not quite a 'florida grow' yet :) !
I am amazed that a few were able to keep going with so little real care.

Wow Paul....PODS!!! I didn't get any of the wild brazils to pop...so maybe you can save me a pod. Your Yellow Ajis from Peru are rocking. Crazy fast growers! I kept the strongest and its now out in the cruel world away from my nice toasty grow room. Way to go Paul, you make this stuff look EASY!
Sorry to hear the WB's didn't go for you, Shane. Want a few more seeds?
Watch out the the Yellow Aji! In your climate it will hit 8' tall!
I harvested few seed on some pods that dried on your Tepin 15 and
Tepin Cross plants today. Will see if I can get them to germinate just for
fun!

Wooowwwww. Year round pods?!?!?! Seriously?????? That is excellently epic. Cudos my friend.
Thanks, Pia, you are very kind! I really can't take credit for it. I just basically put them in
the greenhouse and let them sit all winter. Gave them very little water
until the past week or so. Now I'll start some fish fertilizer to help them
through the initial re-growth. Some will get a re-potting later on this Spring.
The Congo Trinidad Yellow from the pod you sent is doing well. Struggled at
first, but now is looking healthy. Will get a pic after it grows out a bit more.

OW's look awesome! Just waking up from their winter naps. And pods coming...very nice. And the Aji Yellow...I have to agree with Shane. I have one growing and it is by far my tallest plant. It was sown mid October and is almost 5 feet tall! It is covered in bud just about to become flowers. Really looking forward to this one!
Glad to hear the Yellow Ajis like SoCal weather so much! I'm sure they
will grow very tall there. They take a long time to pod up and ripen here.
Will be interesting to see how they do down in your area. The peppers
are awesome for flavor and heat.

I'm very happy with the 4:3 Happy Frog:Ocean Forest soil mix. The plants
are thriving on it, and putting on lots of growth as their roots fill the pots.
Some are forking and developing flower buds. Here are a few of the more
vigorous performers.

Orange Rocoto has just forked into three branches. Six
inches tall, 6 or 7 nodes. Seed from 2012 harvest:
DSCN5250a_zpsfd7e808f.jpg

Marconi Rosso was the first to develop flower buds:
DSCN5252a_zps26eaa10f.jpg

The Naga Morichs have forked and started developing small flower buds. The stalker
on the leaf has been hanging out for a couple of days. The first time I saw it, it had a
fungus gnat in its mouth! Seed from 2012 harvest:
DSCN5254a_zps80832340.jpg

The Naga Morichs have the biggest leaves of all the varieties:
DSCN5256a_zps3123ccae.jpg

The next four plants came from seed Trippa sent from his own harvest.

The Bahamian Goat has put on significant growth:
DSCN5257a_zps9195831e.jpg

Bonda Ma Jacques:
DSCN5258a_zpsfe3ff660.jpg

Scotch Bonnet TFM:
DSCN5259a_zpsf7e2cce2.jpg

Yellow Seven:
DSCN5260a_zpseed26f39.jpg

Okay, that's it for now. Will snap a few more pics in the coming week. I have to
start selecting which plants will make the cut. I gave away about a dozen and will
give away a bunch more in the next week or two. I need to get down to the 20-25
healthiest plants to plant out.

Dang your plant look good brotha! That's what I'm talking about! You should go on vaca more often! I still have a couple of the seeds you sent, think it was more due to not having my germ station quite dialed in. I got more than enough plants for the season. Fighting the urge to start more...think there's a 12 step process for startaholics?

Looking great Paul!! How long before plant out for you now?? 2-3 weeks?? Or is it still too cold yet? Where do you normally harden them off in the greenhouse??

Paul,

Another nice grow!

I found last years while Googling "cloning" and read most of it, like 48 pages, your an inspiration!

Keep up the good work.

3 cheers for a vacation!

Scott

Back