• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

PaulG 2013

We are starting the New Year with a little run of freezing weather; lows in the 25˚F range at night.

1/1/13 - Soaked seeds 24+ hours, put into seed starting mix (BG, peat and perlite mix). The temp in the grow shelf about 72 degrees, the dome trays about 84 degrees.

DSCN5133a.jpg

DSCN5134a.jpg

DSCN5136a.jpg

Here's the seed and overwinter list for this season:

OW greenhouse plants. Seed source in parentheses, P = plant:

Explosive Ember, c. annuum (THSC)​
NuMex Twilight, c. annuum (CPI from Ken/Siliman)​
Black Pearl, c. annuum (THSC)​
Goat's Weed, c. annuum (Shane/Stc3248)​
Bushy Peruvian Market Yellow Aji, c. baccatum
Red Manzano, c. pubescens (Shane)​
Wild Texas Tepin, c. annuum (THSC)​
(?) Wild Brazil c. baccatum var. praetermissum (Shane)​
Fatali, c. chinense (Peppermania)​
Ghost Pepper, c. chinense (Robin/Spankycolts P)​
Chocolate Habanero, c. chinense (Refining Fire), also 2 in #1 pots​
'Red' Habanero, c. chinense (Lily Miller) - orange pods​
Peach Habanero, c. chinense (Fernando/SocalChilihead)​
Congo Trinidad, c. chinense (Peppermania)​

Seeds for this season. Seed source in parentheses, P = plant,

H = my pod harvest OP, * = repeat from 2012:​

*Costeño Amarillo, c. annuum (Fernando) H​
*Chiltepin, c.annuum (CPI)
*Marconi Rosso, c. annuum (Hume Organic)​
*Tepin cross, c. annuum (Shane) H​
*Tepin 15, c. annuum (Shane) H​
*Orange Rocoto, c. pubescens (Peppermania) H​
Devil's Tongue, c. chinense (USHotStuff)​
Yellow Seven, c. chinense (Trippa)​
*Naga Morich, c. chinense (Robin P) H​
*Bih Jolokia, c. chinense (Robin P) H​
Bonda Ma Jacques, c. chinense (Trippa)​
Bahamian Goat, c. chinense (Trippa)​
Congo Trinidad Yellow, c. chinense (Pia/Sanarda pod)​
*Congo Trinidad Red, c. chinense (Peppermania) H​
*Red Habanero, c. chinense (CPI)​
Jamaican Red Habanero, c. chinense (Ferry Morse)​
Red Savina, c. chinense (Peppermania)​
Jamaican Red Mushroom, c. chinense (Refining Fire)​
Peruvian White Habanero, c. chinense (Peppermania)​
Orange Habanero, c. chinense (CPI)​
*Fatali/Savina, c. chinense (Robin P) H​
*Pointed Yellow Habanero, c. chinense (Robin P) H​
Scotch Bonnet MoA, c. chinense (Steve)​
Scotch Bonnet TFM, c. chinense (Trippa)​
Yellow Scotch Bonnet, c. chinense (Refining Fire)​
*Giant White Habanero, c. chinense (Robin P) H​

Missed the start of your 2013 grow Paul, well only by a couple of days.

Good luck in your season mate.

Mezo.

off to a rockin start Paul. love the grow box, how did you attach the doors so that they are removeable? i have a similar setup in my basement minus front doors.

Yeah computer fans are the business in small indoor grows ... are they simply circulating and pulling air in or do you have one extracting and one pulling??

I miss my indoor growing days ..I will just have to live vicariously for now ;) :D

Don't worry about the seasons its pretty much like this when our winter officially starts (1st June) your summer starts ... I think anyway :D
Hey, Tripper! My grow shelf is not well sealed, so air circulation
isn't a problem. The fans are mostly for helping to keep the seedlings
from getting too leggy. Would be nice to do a garage conversion like
Big Cedar's, then sky's the limit!

Our Spring Equinox is on March 21,summer solstice is June 21, and the
Fall Equinox is Sept. 21. Then the Winter Solstice on Dec. 21. How does
that square with your dates?

Missed the start of your 2013 grow Paul, well only by a couple of days.

Good luck in your season mate.

Mezo.
No problem, my friend! Things happen pretty slow around here
this time of the year! The germination-to-first-transplant time line
seems to take forever!

Hope life is treating you well, Meez.

off to a rockin start Paul. love the grow box, how did you attach the doors so that they are removeable? i have a similar setup in my basement minus front doors.
Funny you should ask, Brown; that's the ghetteaux part. I screwed
in some wood screws on the top front of the unit, then used binder
clips to hang the doors. The 'doors' are so lightweight, it's all they need.
Plus they are 'adjustable' to help account for the non-square architecture
of the grow shelf (Thats the ghetto part!):
DSCN5140a.jpg

DSCN5141a.jpg

I am a firm believer in binder clip and coat-hangar wire technology! Oh, yeah, and duct tape, too!

Good luck with your grow shelf, and good growin' your way!

In new Zealand Paul it wouldn't be called ghetto that would be refered to as a "no.8 wire philosophy" basically the premise is any true Kiwi Male worth his salt can fix/make/engineer anything using only no.8 wire.

Funny thing is on the farm growing up it was actually put into action quite regularly.

I love to see ingenuity myself. Its something I have noticed the younger generations in general(ie 20 and under) don't possess for practical hands on things. I guess they don't need to think outside the box as much as they have Google at their fingertips .

Anyway I digress .... love your work!! :D

non-square architecture

I am a firm believer in binder clip and coat-hangar wire technology! Oh, yeah, and duct tape, too!
The most universal fabrication and repair items on the planet!

...non-square architecture...Awesome. :)

You definitely have a way with words, my friend!
In new Zealand Paul it wouldn't be called ghetto that would be refered to as a "no.8 wire philosophy" basically the premise is any true Kiwi Male worth his salt can fix/make/engineer anything using only no.8 wire.

Funny thing is on the farm growing up it was actually put into action quite regularly.

I love to see ingenuity myself. Its something I have noticed the younger generations in general(ie 20 and under) don't possess for practical hands on things. I guess they don't need to think outside the box as much as they have Google at their fingertips .

I always love hearing pop culture references from other countries, especially from Oz and NZ. As far as the 20 and under crowd, there is so much that is lost on them just because of their reliance on what to us is technology. To them, it's not technology, it's just the way things are and have "always" been.

Back on topic, really looking forward to seeing your green thumb in action for an entire season, Paul!

Or as Red Green calls it... "The handyman's secret weapon... Duct Tape". My Dad was a welder who spent his teenage years on a small dairy farm during the 40's, and learned how to keep things running through the wartime shortages and lack of cash. I hung around and helped him with the repair projects around the house when I was a kid and learned a lot.

ghetto fabulous.... that is my kinda of engineering.

thanks Paul
Thanks for the vote of confidence, Ben :)

That's a great lesson in linguistics, Tristen, thanks! I grew up in southern
Oregon ranching country, and there it was called 'fix it with baling wire',
baling wire being the wire that held straw bales together.

My turn: I wouldn't worry about the younger generation. They have many
tools at their disposal that will help them be creative and practical,
and they are smart. Information is the new currency, and they know
how to access it. Most of the young people I know are top notch and
I would replace our current leaders with them in a heart beat! They
are eclectic and multi-cultural, and their ideas cross traditional barriers.
If we want to help them, let's fund education and jobs rather than
never-ending war. /My turn.

The most universal fabrication and repair items on the planet!

...non-square architecture...Awesome. :)

You definitely have a way with words, my friend!

I always love hearing pop culture references from other countries, especially from Oz and NZ. Me, too! As far as the 20 and under crowd, there is so much that is lost on them just because of their reliance on what to us is technology. To them, it's not technology, it's just the way things are and have "always" been. See above : )

Back on topic, really looking forward to seeing your green thumb in action for an entire season, Paul!
You are too kind, my friend, thanks. I'm hoping my thumbs are
green this season; I hate anxiety, it makes me nervous! Have fun in
the warm California sun, Brent!

Or as Red Green calls it... "The handyman's secret weapon... Duct Tape". My Dad was a welder who spent his teenage years on a small dairy farm during the 40's, and learned how to keep things running through the wartime shortages and lack of cash. I hung around and helped him with the repair projects around the house when I was a kid and learned a lot.
Right on, Rick. Necessity is the mother of invention!

Paul love dat ghetteaux part, you'd be amazed at how many things I use the same binder clips on around our house, hehe. One of those great inventions that have numerous uses, heck I even use them to keep chip bags sealed.

Good work, Ramon! Binder clips rule!

First hooks/cotys emerged last night. This is day 6.
I sowed 6 seeds of each variety (except the Scotch
Bonnet MoA from Steve954), 2 seeds per starter cell.

Red Habanero ...................................... CPI (1)
Orange Habanero ................................. CPI (3)
JamaIcan Red Mushroom ..................... RF (1)

At least now I know that I didn't do something to kill
all the seeds!

Good work, Ramon! Binder clips rule! ... ...
Binder Clips, bailing wire and Duct Tape, yes sir that is Barn Yard Engineering at it's finest! … … ...
I was commenting on how great your idea is and that I do similar things around the house, lol. You wana great laugh, after our boys broke the third swivel chair at their PC desk in less than a year, I told them no way, no how I was going to replace it … “but dad what to do to sit?” I threw on a Clip took off the pry levers/bar and said once you break this your on your own :D
2ilogg5.jpg
303cxdv.jpg

First hooks/cotys emerged last night. This is day 6.
I sowed 6 seeds of each variety …
I’m so jealous :rolleyes: as I’m on day 6 too and nada yet :/ I think my eggs are going to take much longer :/

At least now I know that I didn't do something to kill all the seeds!
... ... I didn’t expect anything less from you, hey what took you so long, lol.

Binder Clips, bailing wire and Duct Tape, yes sir that is Barn Yard Engineering at it's finest!

Hook and cotys at 6 days too, your looking good there Paul.
Howdy, Bill! Thanks, buddy, At least I'll have a couple of plants
even if everything else fails ;)

@Ramon - hang in there, bud, they take their own sweet time!

Nice work on the first of many hooks Paul!! I told stickman I think he would see his first hook in 5 days from placing on his heat mat ...now I am feeling a little more optimistic my guess could at least be in the ballpark !!

From here on out you will start seeing hooks left right and centre. Usually after a dark light period is best for getting new emerging chilli babies!!

Hey man, things are looking great :). I started my seeds this morning, hoping to have hooks before I leave on the 16th. leaving ~450 plants in the hands of my helper. we' shall see how well it works (if at all).

glog coming soon :)

3...almost 4 pages! You're gonna catch me! :rofl:
Love the evolution of your grow shelf brother...and hooks popping already! Chinenses at that! I really can't wait to read your first pepper review of the season, some of my favorite moments from last year. Keep them rockin brother.

Shane

Good luck on this year's crop Paul! You do the PNW family proud sir. :hell:
Thanks, Richard. It's only a matter of time until Big Cedar steamrollers me!
Good luck to you as well, my friend.

Nice work on the first of many hooks Paul!! I told stickman I think he would see his first hook in 5 days from placing on his heat mat ...now I am feeling a little more optimistic my guess could at least be in the ballpark !!

From here on out you will start seeing hooks left right and centre. Usually after a dark light period is best for getting new emerging chilli babies!!
Sounds like you are a good prognosticator, my man!
Your observation confirms my own. the morning light
reveals overnight growth. I'm running my lights 24 hrs
now, but they still emerge mostly at night! Anyway, I
hope you are right!

Hey man, things are looking great :). I started my seeds this morning, hoping to have hooks before I leave on the 16th. leaving ~450 plants in the hands of my helper. we' shall see how well it works (if at all).

glog coming soon :)
450 seeds in the ground left to your helper.
Now that's an act of faith, brother!
I'll be pullin' for ya! Can't wait for your glog JCR!

3...almost 4 pages! You're gonna catch me! :rofl:
Love the evolution of your grow shelf brother...and hooks popping already! Chinenses at that! I really can't wait to read your first pepper review of the season, some of my favorite moments from last year. Keep them rockin brother.
Had some great jerky with marinade seasoned with my choc habs and giant white habs. Really great stuff made by my neighbor. I'm going to post the recipe when he gets around to tweaking it.
Shane
Haha, buddy! I think you are off to the races, Shane! This year I'm
not taking a picture of every hook that pops up, etc. That should
shorten up the old glog a little. I really want to keep it under 88 pages
this year. That's just more glogginess than I can stand :lol: to re-read!

So far so good on the grow shelf. The CPI habanero seeds really
popped quickly.

Have fun nursing your babies in that custom grow closet!

Awesome set up Paul! I'm looking forward to this grow!
Thanks for joining in, Ido; good luck to you this season!

Hey paul! 6 days is not bad for chinenses! All you early starters got me foaming at the mouth so i started just a few seeds myself :) As soon as your starts get some leaves on em i expect some pic updates!

Back