• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

PaulG 2019

No grow log for the 2018 season other than the Pimenta de Neyde x Bonda Ma Jacques
thread dedicated to Trippa's cross. That one is an ongoing community project going into
second year and a test of the F7 generation. I imagine I will mention it once-in-a-while in
this thread, but the details of its progress will be in the dedicated thread.

I am deciding on a grow list for the 2019 season after growing only Trippa's cross this
season (2018). I definitely have some old favorites that will comprise the great majority
of the grow. I have limited space, so I'm counting on nature to help me make the final
decision. I'll probably start lots of seeds since I'm gun-shy from the poor germination
rates the past couple of seasons.

Here's the pool. Would be nice to be able to grow a bunch of all of them!  I think my
neighbor will shelter the overflow in his yard, but we'll see what to plant and how many
based on what might germinate  :rofl:

c. chinese - 10 varieties
  • PdN x BMJ, F7, white and violet varieties, Trippa's cross
  • Fatali, F2 of seed from Pepper Joe's
  • 7 Pot Burgundy, brown phenotype, pecan shape from 2017 F2 of the 7PB from Windchicken 
  • Scotch Bonnet, MoA, F2 of seeds from John/Sim, not high production, but some nice pods
  • JA Red Habanero, F5 of seed from Walk Good/Devv
  • Yellow Scorpion, F7 aka Yellow Trinidad Moruga Scorpion and CARDI Scorpion, from Spankycolts plant 2012
  • Bhut Jolokia, Red, F4, from Spankycolts plant 2012
  • Bhut Jolokia, Chocolate, F3 of seed from Georgia Growhead
  • Bhut Jolokia, hybrid, F2 - I believe it is a  (BJred) x (Pdn x BMJ F1 or F2)
  • Yellow 7 Pot, F2 of seed from Trippa 2013
c. annuum - 4 varieties:
  • JA Red Mushroom, F3, brown phenotype, seed from Refining Fire
  • Pimenta de Padron - Spanish seed, fry up while small and green, throw on some salt
  • Pimenta del Piquillo - Spanish seed, sweet, very flavorful, small stuffers
  • Guindilla - Spanish seed, spicy heat, great pickled, long and skinny
c. frutescens - 2 varieties:
  • Nagahari from Tezpur, India, supposedly very, very hot freebie from Pepper Joe's 2017
  • Chili Costa Rica, F2 (2014) from Hippy Seed Company seed, 2012
c. pubescens - 1 variety:
  • Red Rocoto, F3 of Peruvian Market seed, 2016
That about does it. Seeding time will be here before we know it!

PaulG said:
As I was cutting these today, I ate slivers off a number of pods.
The flavor is bomb, sweet with just a bit of tang. The heat varied,
sort of like with jalapeños, but never more than a little tongue burn.
Perhaps a whole pod might pack more of a punch, but I think this
is an excellent pod. Should be great for powder or ferment, maybe
toss in a Habanero or three just to add some kick. Also would make
awesome staffers if the top is cut out like a jack-o-lantern.

Bonus. Easy to de-seed, dry or fresh. Seeds packed like a Rocoto.

Wow, that pod sounds even better than it looks. And it looks really freakin' good.

[edit: Throwback to pube toppin']

internationalfish said:

Wow, that pod sounds even better than it looks. And it looks really freakin' good.
Yeah, they are beauties. I hope the seed grows out true to this phenotype/size.
[edit: Throwback to pube toppin']

It has become a favorite, along with the Padron peppers. 
I really don't know why I grow the super hots   :rofl:

Final 2019 grow update:

Poor Spring weather coupled with a couple of insanely hot June days
and cloudy weather through much of May, June, and July made for a
really slow start to the season.  We had torrential downpours
on 5/18, 5/25 (rain from 23rd to 28th), 7/1, and 7/2. Summer finished off
the same way with a week of heavy rain around the middle of September.
Fortunately, the weather the rest of September and October was, for the
most part, pretty decent, with pods ripening up until the end of October.
First freezing temps in our yard at the tail end of October and first days
of November.

Kept closer track of fertilizer use, and found that after plant-out, I used
thirty gallons of fertilizer mix. Also kept track of how much water/fertilizer
solution  it took to get each plant to plant-out.

View previous summaries herehere, here, herehere  and here.

Plant Data in no particular order:

c. chinense
......name...................................................germ....in-ground.......pull......fert/H2O

PurpleThunder BJh-1, F2...........................1/20.........5/12.......10/23......240
..............slow start, not heavy producer

Purple Thunder BJh-2, F2...........................2/1...........5/12.......10/28......204
..............yellow/purple pods, test tube baby, grow next year

Purple Thunder BJh-3, F2...........................2/23.........6/3.........10/22......n/d
...............blocky, orange pods with purple shading

Purple Thunder BJh-4, F2...........................2/23.........6/3.........1029.......n/d
...............orange pods, purple shading, 1st to fruit

Purple hunder BJh-'Mystery', F2..............2/4...........5/12.......10/29.......204
...............red/orange pods with purple shading, large fruit

Bhut Jolokia hybrid. F2..............................1/9...........5/25.......10/14.......n/d
...............red, BJ shaped pods, 3-gal grow

JA Red Habanero, F5................................1/7............5/10.......10/26......196
...............s. end yard

JA Red Habanero, F5................................1/9............5/12.......10/26......240
...............s. end yard

JA Red Habanero, F5................................1/10..........5/12.......10/23......228
...............deck plant, grow next year

JA Red Habanero, F5................................1/12..........5/15.......n/d..........n/d
................3-gallon grow

Bhut Jolokia, chocolate, F2.......................1/14..........5/10.......10/15......192
..............orange pods. maybe grow again

Bhut Jolokia, chocolate, F2.......................1/14..........5/12......10/29.......228
..............very few pods, may not grow again

Bhut Jolokia, red, F4.................................1/22.........5/12........10/11......180
...............orange pods

SB7J, F2...................................................1/16..........5/12.......10/11.......252
...............nothing but runts, won't grow again

SB Beth Boyd...........................................1/21..........5/10.......10/22.......192
...............best bonnet so far, grow again

SB MoA, F2..............................................1/6............5/10........10/26......156
...............slow start, lots of nice pheno pods late

SB MoA, F2..............................................1/8............5/10........n/d..........192
...............pulled mid-season, anemic, wonky growth

Yellow Scorpion, F7..................................1/4...........5/11........10/22.......144
...............rat-tail seed pod

Yellow Scorpion, F7..................................1/15.........5/10........10/15.......204
...............Moruga-type seed pod, grow again

Yellow Scorpion, F7..................................1/5...........5/15........ n/d..........n/d
................Large seed pod, no real difference all 3 plants

Yellow BrainStrain.....................................1/2...........5/12.......10/28........300
...............early germ, large plant, pinched pods

PdN x BMJ, F7W-1...................................11/26.......5/7......... n/d...........n/d
................gave away mid-season

PdN x BMJ, F7W-2...................................11/23.......5/7..........n/d...........n/d
................favorite of the Fall 2018 start, lg. violet pods

PdN x BMJ, F7W-3...................................11/25.......5/7..........n/d...........n/d
................not the best performer, pulled mid season

PdN x BMJ, F7W-4...................................11/30.......5/7..........n/d...........n/d
................light yellow pods, gave away 2/3 season

PdN x BMJ, F7W Bhuter...........................1/10.........5/10........180..........180
................isolated F6W seed, violet pods

PdN x BMJ, F7V........................................1/11.........5/10........10/18.......228
................double pod seed, violet pods

7 Pot Pecan, F2........................................2/3...........5/10.........10/28.......192
...............nice pods, good producer, too much shade this season

7 Pot Pecan, F2........................................2/3...........5/12.........10/30.......228
................front yard, too much shade, only smaller pods

Fatali, F2....................................................1/6...........5/11.........10/14.......204
................Smaller plant, hated spring Suck, smaller pods, don't grow again

other capsicums

......name...................................................germ.......in-ground........pull........fert/H2O

Sri Lanka Red chili.....................................4/17...........5/30.............10/11......n/d
....................small plant, pods dried on vine in summer, better pods late

Peruvian Red Rocoto, F3............................12/10........4/27..............10/18.....n/d
....................good producer, 3-gallon grow, topped 1/9

Aji Amarillo, F6............................................12/13.........5/3...............10/30......n/d
....................3-gallon grow, vigorous plant, 3 dozen pods - good sized - up to 5"

Costeño Amarillo, F6..................................4/10..........5/29..............10/28......n/d
....................20 gallon container, needed more sun, earlier start, many unripe pods

Costeño Amarillo, F6.................................4/14...........5/29..............10/28......n/d
....................10-gallon container, too much shade, decent early pods, few late ripe

c. chacoense, F3.......................................4/24...........5/29...............10/28......n/d
....................10 gallon container, too much shade, very few pods

c. chacoense, F3.......................................4/24...........5/31..............................n/d
.....................3-gallon grow, still in greenhouse, lots of ripe pods coming

Marconi Rosso...........................................4/21..........5/29................10/29.....n/d
.....................18-gallon container, giant pods, very slow to ripen, plant earlier

Marconi Rosso...........................................4/21..........5/29................10/29.....n/d
.....................7-gallon container, medium pods, a few large

Golden Marconi........................................4/14..........5/29...............10/29.......n/d
.....................18 gallon container, giant pods, very slow to ripen

Golden Marconi........................................4/21..........5/29...............10/29.......n/d
.....................7-gallon container, medium pods, a few large

JA Mushroom, F3.....................................4/17..........5/29................10/29......n/d
.....................15 gallon container, slow to ripen, pulled and hung plant

JA Mushroom, F3.....................................4/18..........5/29................10/29......n/d
.....................15 gallon container, slow to ripen, pulled and hung plant

Pimenta de Padron...................................4/14..........5/29................10/29.....n/d
.....................10 gallon container, good producer

Goat's Weed, F3......................................4/12...........5/29................10/29......n/d
.....................118 gallon container, needed more sun, lots of unripe pods at end

Goat's Weed, F3......................................4/13...........5/31...............................n/d
.....................3-gallon grow, still in greenhouse, great production for 3-gal.

Guindilla...................................................4/24...........5/29.................10/28.....n/d
.....................smallish plant, needed more sun in a.m., 3-gallon grow next year

miscellaneous plants:

Big Jim, Iwasaki nurseries. Nice big pods, but only a few. 10 gallon container.

Sweet Banana, Hume seeds. Lousy, sickly plant. One pod. Don't grow again.

Orange Snacker, bonnies Plants. Front yard, too shady. Hated Spring Suck. Zero pods.

3-gallon grow plants:

BJ x PdN - Dragon 49 seedlong planted 5/7. 50" tall beginning of November.
Goat's Weed - excellent 3-gallon plant, still going in greenhouse
c. chacoense - did much better than the outside plant, still going in greenhouse
Peruvian Red Rocoto - 3-gallon a bit small, but performed very well
Aji Amarillo - excellent result
Chiltepin - had a wonky Spring, set very few pods, still going in greenhouse
Yellow Scorpion - performed well. Would have been great in better weather
JA Red Habanero - same as Yellow Scorpion
SLR, Mr Sausage - did well until heavy Sept. rain, lost a bunch of plant-dried pods
BJ hybrid - nice red pods, but only 4 or 5. A 3" red pod from the original Purple
                   Thunder cross provided the seed. All the other BJh came rem the same
                   orange, bumpy, gnarly pod.

A few take-aways:

Going to have to adapt my grow routing to account for the trending sucky
     Spring weather and long Fall.

The water usage by plants pre-plantout varies widely. Speaks to a more 
     tailored watering other than watering everything the same. Water/fertilizer
     usage ranged from 144 ounces (Rat-tail Scorpion) to 300 ounces (beastial YBS)

The three gallon grow was very successful. Will expand to 20 plants next
     season. Big advantage, ease of movement and ability to finish in greenhouse.

Front yard space needs to be saved for c. pubescens varieties.

Annuums seeded too late this year. Should have started Mar. 1 instead of
     April 1. Means an extra month to handle plants 'til plantout, unfortunately.

Next season, liquid ferts only up til plantout, then add organic meals to each
     container at plantout, and then no more summer fertilizing. Worked great
     with the tomatoes this season.

Amend container soil with chicken manure/compost and Bone Meal one month
     before plantout.

For crosses, grow only BJh-2 and F7W-4 next season. One habanero, one scorpion
     one 7 Pot Pecan only as well. 

Whew, glad that's over. Talk about tedious.

And boring for everyone else  :rofl:

Me included!

A real up and down season this year, but ended pretty well
all things considered. Thanks to all who followed along with
all my grow logs this season (next season only one!) And
especially to those who agreed to share and swap seeds (27
folks, including a few I don't have an addy for, yet!)

Thanks to everyone who participated in the PdN x BMJ
grow this season. I hope you will continue posting to the
community thread as your strains develop.

Also, thanks to those who expressed interest in the Purple
Thunder cross. I hope to see some of your results on the
community thread next season, as well.

That wraps it for this season. Good growing to our southern
hemisphere friends, and a pleasant winter break from the
rigors of the grow season to all my buds in the northern
hemisphere. 

Pepper people rock!

Well done [emoji106]. Awesome writeup/summary for this years grow [emoji106][emoji106]. Seems like everybody in North America had crazy weather this year [emoji15]. Do you think this years weather will be the new normal?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

PaulG said:
Yup

That's it. I cut these stalks just below the fork,
and  I cut off any foliage and twigs not connected
to a pod just to create more air flow.

Success!  These were green when I hung the branch.  Thanks for the tip! 
20191108-133104.jpg

Wow Paul! That was fun catching up with!! Where do I start! I came in expecting to have my world rocked and your glog did just that! Your purple thunder phenos are really, really cool! It's hard to pick a favorite! The colors are just incredible and the inside of the BJh-2 is quite stunning. Would love to grow some of them next year! Speaking of cool insides, I bought some purple ghost scorpions from WHP for next year, you'll have to check em out they'd look pretty cut up laying next to your purple thunders, I'll share some seeds with you if you're interested! You definitely made the most out of our so-so weather this year. I love all the harvest shots, speaking of shots your dehydrator arrangements were beautiful! Think you have enough dried peppers? Lol. That's really cool how you kept them separated and labeled I wish I did that, totally doing it your way next year. Cool way to experiment with different powders and such too! Your data that you keep up with during the season is also really cool, very scientific and professional. When are you kicking off the 2020 season? I'll shoot you a PM shortly and well get that seed swap going, I'm a little behind from where you're at, lots of varieties I just started saving seed from and they're still drying.. Might have to give me a week or 2! Once again, nice work on all accounts! 

:cheers:

BigCedar said:
Wow Paul! That was fun catching up with!! Where do I start! I came in expecting to have my world rocked and your glog did just that! Your purple thunder phenos are really, really cool! It's hard to pick a favorite! The colors are just incredible and the inside of the BJh-2 is quite stunning. Would love to grow some of them next year! Speaking of cool insides, I bought some purple ghost scorpions from WHP for next year, you'll have to check em out they'd look pretty cut up laying next to your purple thunders, I'll share some seeds with you if you're interested! You definitely made the most out of our so-so weather this year. I love all the harvest shots, speaking of shots your dehydrator arrangements were beautiful! Think you have enough dried peppers? Lol. That's really cool how you kept them separated and labeled I wish I did that, totally doing it your way next year. Cool way to experiment with different powders and such too! Your data that you keep up with during the season is also really cool, very scientific and professional. When are you kicking off the 2020 season? I'll shoot you a PM shortly and well get that seed swap going, I'm a little behind from where you're at, lots of varieties I just started saving seed from and they're still drying.. Might have to give me a week or 2! Once again, nice work on all accounts! 
:cheers:
Woah, Brandon, if you read all those pages, you are a glutton
for punishment! But, I appreciate your fortitude, my friend!

Those Purple Ghost Scorpions sound brutal! Your mad skills
ought to create some monsters out of them. I was blown away
by the gnarl on the pods in your update. Across the board, just
over the top painful looking! And giant fruit, to boot!

I still have three-and-a-half quarts of dried pods from last season,
talk about a slacker! I also have several quarts, at least, of grinds,
some from 2012. Talked about aged

Why am I growing more peppers?

I am just starting to think about what to grow next season.
So many choices. Chinense, baccatums, pubescens varieties
on Jan. 1, replacement sowing around Jan. 15. Annuums on
March 1, so No rush on seeds, buddy. I will keep an eye out
for your PM when you are ready. Really looking forward to
swapping some heat with you.

Thanks for looking in Big Cedar!

Hey Paul! I can't believe this is my first post on your blog. I've caught up on most of it by now and I'm amazed as always. Your diligence at recording data is quite inspiring, I should take notes. 

Actually your whole season is inspirational. The results you got with your 3 gallon pots is nothing short of amazing. It makes me want to try growing in containers again, but I just know my results won't even be close to yours. (Also my SO would kill me if I fill our garden with pots again, whew.)

Looking forward to your next glog. 

b3rnd said:
Hey Paul! I can't believe this is my first post on your blog. I've caught up on most of it by now and I'm amazed as always. Your diligence at recording data is quite inspiring, I should take notes. 

Actually your whole season is inspirational. The results you got with your 3 gallon pots is nothing short of amazing. It makes me want to try growing in containers again, but I just know my results won't even be close to yours. (Also my SO would kill me if I fill our garden with pots again, whew.)

Looking forward to your next glog. 

Better late than never, my friend!
Glad you could make it by for a visit!

First time I have tried to collect this kind of data.
It is pretty interesting to take a look back at the
aggregated data and try to spot trends and/or
correlation.

I was pleased by the 3-gallon grow plants' performance.
If one doesn't need a bushel of pods, they provide plenty
of nice pods. I'm going to adjust my fertilizer routine with
them to granular organic meals to see if I can make them
just a bit more robust. And it's a lot easier to move them
around than the 15- and 20-gallon containers, especially
when they are wet!

I'm sure you would have success with them, Bernd. 
If you can convince your SO they won't all be coming inside
the house in cold weather  :rofl:

PtMD989 said:
Well done [emoji106]. Awesome writeup/summary for this years grow [emoji106][emoji106]. Seems like everybody in North America had crazy weather this year [emoji15]. Do you think this years weather will be the new normal?
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The weather has been trending that way for several seasons, Bryan.
Unfortunate, but I'm afraid it is the new normal.  Let's hope it doesn't
get wackier   :shame:

I'd really like to see a nice May and June going into summer for a
change. Then there wouldn't be so much angst as the cool, damp
Fall weather starts end of September, and we're all praying for no
freezing temps   :pray:

PaulG said:

Better late than never, my friend!
Glad you could make it by for a visit!

First time I have tried to collect this kind of data.
It is pretty interesting to take a look back at the
aggregated data and try to spot trends and/or
correlation.

I was pleased by the 3-gallon grow plants' performance.
If one doesn't need a bushel of pods, they provide plenty
of nice pods. I'm going to adjust my fertilizer routine with
them to granular organic meals to see if I can make them
just a bit more robust. And it's a lot easier to move them
around than the 15- and 20-gallon containers, especially
when they are wet!

I'm sure you would have success with them, Bernd. 
If you can convince your SO they won't all be coming inside
the house in cold weather  :rofl:

Yeah, imo keeping data is essential to becoming a better grower. Otherwise how can you visualise the effects of anything you do? I really have to start to incorporate it in my routine.

I think I'll try a few container plants, why not. If I keep it less than 5 or so she'll be okay with it. If I don't bring them inside like you said  :rofl:

PaulG said:

The weather has been trending that way for several seasons, Bryan.
Unfortunate, but I'm afraid it is the new normal.  Let's hope it doesn't
get wackier   :shame:

I'd really like to see a nice May and June going into summer for a
change. Then there wouldn't be so much angst as the cool, damp
Fall weather starts end of September, and we're all praying for no
freezing temps   :pray:

Same over here in Europe. We had a one-off great summer last year but mainly it's been wetter in spring. Also warmer on average though, we keep breaking records each year.

Back