• General food and cooking questions, discussion, and recipes. To blog your food or to create (or post in) a community food thread, please post in Post Your Eats!

PC cooked Pumpkin

Never done this before, happy to note it was easy and no longer need to peel the pumpkin.

Cut off the top and removed the seeds, added about three cups to the PC and cooked for 15min on high.

Blitzed with

1/2 tbs Powder Ginger
1/2 tbsp Cinnamon
1 tsp Burning bush dried peppers (had allot of heat)
1 tsp pink salt
1/2 tsp nutmeg
1/2 cup honey (helps get the mix going)
1/2 cup raw cashews instead of cream.

To all the old times, remember when pumpkin had a fine grain and not a spaghetti squash texture ?? Been trying to find seeds for the original type but to date no luck, see pic.

nQmPMrk.jpg
jWQhH1M.jpg
EyhOPDX.jpg
Em1lZkM.jpg
gnP3nIz.jpg
H3SD58w.jpg
DCnRotS.jpg
Nk8xoi1.jpg

Looks good. Sounds good, too. I know that there are several different species of pumpkins out there (pepo, maxima, etc.) and I'm sure many of the cultivars out there today have been bred to look pretty and be sold for carving and decorating. Even the ones bred specifically for eating have probably lost a lot of their flavor and textrue in favor of production and pest/disease resistance.
     I've had good luck finding old heirloom varieties of squashes and pumpkins at Seed Savers Exchange. I had so much trouble with squash vine borer beetles at our last house that I haven't been in the market in years though.

Back