• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

media peat pucks, or rock wool?

I'm in the "anything but peat pucks" crowd.
Never used rockwool but I'd go with it over peat just because I can't stand peat.
Coco ftw, though.

Haven't used rockwool, but have used coir and peat pots. Coir is easy to use and has given me 90 + percent germination. Peat is harder to work with, and germination is lower and/or once germinated the plants have problems. I tried the Jiffy peat pots this year, and will never use them again. Will do all coir next year. YMMV

I've had decent luck with peat pucks and rockwool, but regular Pro-Mix Bx potting soil seems to work best for me and the seedlings grow the fastest with no added nutes, just the starter nutes already in there. But I'm out of Pro-Mix now and don't really want to pay $40 or higher next year for a bale so I'm trying a Wonder Brick I found on Amazon with free shipping. I'll probably just use it for seed starts.

Rockwool always wins out to peat in my opinion, but how about an alternative to both? I prefer Rapid Rooter/ Super Plugs. They seem to hold the right amount of moisture for cloning and germination. I get excellent results

treemanjohn said:
Rockwool always wins out to peat in my opinion, but how about an alternative to both? I prefer Rapid Rooter/ Super Plugs. They seem to hold the right amount of moisture for cloning and germination. I get excellent results

I'm cloning a top from an Orange Hab (a gift from a bird) in a coir puck and it's looking down right perky after 5 days.

I picked up some STG starter cubes just to check them out and I like them so far. Seem a bit cleaner than rockwool. Still too early to tell if they are better though.

jacob

Thanks for everyones ideas and opinions. they should help me greatly. I'm pretty sure my problem is watering, like POTAWIE said heat and water are the main inputs from me, and heat shouldn't be a problem for me. So rock wool is looking more and more like the best choice for my over bearing, over protective gardening. lol

Back