• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

Pepper Choices

Ok, so I know it's a little late as I have already begun my seedling grow process but...I was wondering what pepper varieties were good choices for a newbie planter? I really do enjoy the exquisite pain/taste associated with a good hot pepper. I understand that some peppers are harder to grow than others and was just curious to see what all of you more experienced growers might suggest?

My current endeavor is as follows: Bhut Jolokia, Chocolate Habanero, Red Sovina, Tepin, Aji Amarillo, Peter Pepper, and Bolivian Rainbow Peppers.

I'll second the Serrano, they have a great flavour and not too hot. And the Yellow 7Pot is great fresh too if you like it hot.

I would give your choices a shot at the lower end of the burn spectrum.

Aji Limons and some Hungarian Hot Wax. Nice list, btw :)

My Aji Limon didnt germinate. I tried 15 seeds and nothing. :( Good luck with the Peter Pepper, they are fast growers once you get them started, I had to pot mine up today and the root balls filled the solo cups they were in.

Matt50680 said:
My Aji Limon didnt germinate. I tried 15 seeds and nothing. :( Good luck with the Peter Pepper, they are fast growers once you get them started, I had to pot mine up today and the root balls filled the solo cups they were in.

My aunt sent me more than a few Peruvian Aji seeds so I planted a 72 count tray of them. I love the taste they have. Don't get me wrong, I really like super hot peppers but I also enjoy a good flavorful pepper to spice up my meals. I'm really excited to see how things turn out!

If you want to grow a couple of annuums that will insure you get a good quantity of pods, try the SuperChili or the Super Cayenne II Hybrid...both are prolific and have good heat...

Back