• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

Pepper db help for THP site

The Hot Pepper

Founder
Admin
Hey guys can you help me with a list of all hot pepper species please?

Correct?

Capsicum annuum
Capsicum frutescens
Capsicum chinense
Capsicum pubescens
Capsicum baccatum
Capsicum galapagoense

And also if you were to research peppers from a searchable db of all peppers, what would you like to see?

Pepper name
Species
Origin (original origin)
Seed origin (for these newer types)
Description (paragraph about it describing all aspects from flavor to appearance)
Growing climate (zones? or...)
Soil (type of soil it likes for growing)
Size (of full gorwn plant)
Harvest time (from seed to harvest)
Production (how many pods to expect etc.)?
Heat level (1-10)
Scoville unit range
User rating (5 stars)

Lemme know and we can get the best db on the net going!

What's "Seed Origin" versus "Origin". I assume the latter is the assumed or proven geographic location, but what's the latter?

edit: Nm. I either didn't read well, or you edited it. Makes sense. Maybe origin (geographic) and origin (breeder), or something the like.

I'd break down the description section as much as possible for ease of input/use/specificity. Maybe common flavor profiles like wine (citrus, vanilla, battery acid, apple, etc.), or morphology within semi-definable boundaries? Dunno.

I also enjoy the Dave's Garden db in regard to what zones/locations it has been grown in, as well as personalized notes from each registered grower that chooses to respond. Also like usage suggestions/notes. Actually, they have a really good db skeleton that could be specialized for here (you've already got a great deal of what they do):

Height:
24-36 in. (60-90 cm)
Spacing:
18-24 in. (45-60 cm)
Sun Exposure:
Full Sun
Heat (Pungency):
Unknown - Tell us
Fruit Shape:
Unknown - Tell us
Fruit Size:
Unknown - Tell us
Fruit Color:
Unknown - Tell us
Disease Resistance:
Unknown - Tell us
Seed Type:
Unknown - Tell us
Usage:
Unknown - Tell us
Other details:
Average Water Needs; Water regularly; do not overwater
Suitable for growing in containers
Soil pH requirements:
5.6 to 6.0 (acidic)
6.1 to 6.5 (mildly acidic)
6.6 to 7.5 (neutral)
Propagation Methods:
From seed; sow indoors before last frost
Seed Collecting:
Unknown - Tell us
Days to Maturity:
Late (more than 80 days)

Love this idea THP. I would be happy to contribute in any way I can.

Added, thanks.

What's "Seed Origin" versus "Origin". I assume the latter is the assumed or proven geographic location, but what's the latter?

I'd break down the description section as much as possible for ease of input/use/specificity. Maybe common flavor profiles like wine (citrus, vanilla, battery acid, apple, etc.), or morphology within semi-definable boundaries? Dunno.

I also enjoy the Dave's Garden db in regard to what zones/locations it has been grown in, as well as personalized notes from each registered grower that chooses to respond. Also like usage suggestions/notes. Actually, they have a really good db skeleton that could be specialized for here (you've already got a great deal of what they do):

Height:
24-36 in. (60-90 cm)
Spacing:
18-24 in. (45-60 cm)
Sun Exposure:
Full Sun
Heat (Pungency):
Unknown - Tell us
Fruit Shape:
Unknown - Tell us
Fruit Size:
Unknown - Tell us
Fruit Color:
Unknown - Tell us
Disease Resistance:
Unknown - Tell us
Seed Type:
Unknown - Tell us
Usage:
Unknown - Tell us
Other details:
Average Water Needs; Water regularly; do not overwater
Suitable for growing in containers
Soil pH requirements:
5.6 to 6.0 (acidic)
6.1 to 6.5 (mildly acidic)
6.6 to 7.5 (neutral)
Propagation Methods:
From seed; sow indoors before last frost
Seed Collecting:
Unknown - Tell us
Days to Maturity:
Late (more than 80 days)

Love this idea THP. I would be happy to contribute in any way I can.

I tried to elaborate on the origin thing, something POTAWIE mentioned, but maybe I've got it wrong.

Cool input! Keep it going. Once a lot is suggested I'll compile and ask again. Thanks!

Got it! Yeah just needs better wording like yours.

a database sounds like a really good idea! would be very usefull!

for a very complete list of all species of capsicum check out http://www.g6csy.net/chile/variety.html - there is quite a few!

if possible it would be awesome with possibility to comment on the varieties - there is so much aditional info that is interesting to hear, for example if ppl prefered to grow it in container, or the ground, and if it was container what size. so much can be learnt from a few lines of info from a grower and some pics to show the results.

Put it this way.... what empty fields would you like to see if you were listing a pepper yourself or editing a pepper listing for corrections?

We can compile all the best stuff here and narrow it down if needed.

The species can be selected from a dropdown list so I would just need a complete list.

A picture of the POD and PLANT would be nice too, if its one of those that has multiple color stages IE green to yellow to purple to red or something, then the picture should illustrate the changes, or else there should be multiple pictures.

I PM'd you, I have a DB going for my current grow, its far from completely filled out, but if you want to use it as a starting point, I put it in my drop box. Will PM you the link or simply email you the file if you are interested.

Pics will be there that was a given I forgot to list. User contributed and removed if © violation, but yes to pics.

Oh I'll list a credit field to give credit to the pic owner. This may increase pic adding.

Anyone can take a stab at compiling all this info/condensing etc. to see what we all think and we'll narrow it down.

sounds like a great idea. Would it be wiki-style where anyone and everyone can add and change info? Or maybe a select few top notch growers can edit/contribute? I don't know anything about building a db, but I like the comprehensive chile db idea.

I'd be interested in the flavor profile info. There again, don't know who or how those profiles would be compiled, as we all know everyone's tastes are different. Probably just have to go with i-net posted descriptions to start.

SL yes wiki-style :woohoo:

And also yes, not every member. To protect the info. More info on all that later but... get excited. It will rule.

http://jsschrstrcks.com/?page_id=21

You could make a source map for the country of origin...

Its realtively easy to do, and supposedly you can upload a csv file... I didn't go that route...

Back