• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

Pepper drying problems

It's look like I had problem wtih drying my chilies.
This is (aligator head :cool: ) with "dust". It looks like dust.
Question is: Is this OK for eating (cooking)?

050320121144.jpg

Using the grill is an excellent way to dry your pods. You don't need a lot of charcoal though, just a few pieces. Here's how I smoke peppers. I use four or five pieces of charcoal and get them going on one side of the grill. The peppers are washed and cut in half and laid on a piece of foil open side of the pepper up. These go on the opposite side of the coals. You can use any type of chips you want, last time I did this it was apple and pecan. You can also use the pellets. You want to keep your temps under 200. Now it's just add a piece of charcoal or more chips as needed to keep things warm and smokey. It will take the better part of a day to do this so grab a 12 pack and every now and then you should test the "doneness" of the peppers.

Good luck.

+1 Boy do I love chipotles! I'd like to try and smoke some Jamaican red scotch bonnets this year! I need more heat than the chipotles. Sometimes I get a real hot one though (rare though :( ). However, they are the raisins of the pepper world. I also love using smoked chiles in my sauces. A six pack of Guinness or two would do me well while smoking my peppers :) .

It's look like I had problem wtih drying my chilies.
This is (aligator head :cool: ) with "dust". It looks like dust.
Question is: Is this OK for eating (cooking)?

050320121144.jpg

If it's dust and not mold, it's fine. I use a wet paper towel to wipe off the dust of dried chiles that have collected dust. Was it lying around for awhile? Looks like dust to me.

Back