• If you can't find a "Hot" category that fits, post it here!

Pepper Extract vs. Hot Sauce

No prob. Yeah, some notice a metallic taste, some don't... so if you do, it may just be the bp. It could be that you don't notice it in the other cookies due to it being covered up etc. Hope it works out.

Check your baking soda too if you use it.

My project is cookies. I make a fantastically spicy cookie that includes ghost peppers, and I'm looking for different ways to tweak the recipe.

Cayenne pepper powder = metallic taste
ghost peppers = DELICIOUS but hard to acquire in Chicago. I have to order them in bulk, get way too many and toss out more than half when they get moldy.
Dave's Ghost Pepper sauce = weird flavor in the cookies, metallic and a 1-dimensional heat. The tiniest bit of that sauce ruined a batch of 15 cookies.

Thought I'd give a homemade extract a try. See if it'll bring up the heat and not ruin the cookie's flavor.

One other thing I'm getting from this discussion is that I might have been wrong about something else. I thought the metallic flavor in hotsauces was related to the vinegar or acetic acid interacting with the capsaicin and tongue receptors. Some of you seem to suggest the pepper extract is the culprit.

Half get moldy and you throw them out!!!!
doh.gif
Next time you buy them divide them in half and send the rest to me
dancingpepper.gif
..........why are you not freezing them or drying them?? That is crazy to just let them mold and throw them away. If this happens frequently, you should be preparing to handle the situation. Saves you money to say the least.
naughty.gif

Please keep this discussion promotion free, thank you.

Posts removed.

Go all natural, or pure capsaicin powder, nothing in between.
Only viable exemptions are defcon, salsa lady and wildfire. I am sure there others, but forget about chemical extracts.

doh.gif
dancingpepper.gif
..........why are you not freezing them or drying them?? That is crazy to just let them mold and throw them away. If this happens frequently, you should be preparing to handle the situation. Saves you money to say the least.
naughty.gif

I'm learning. I have some in the freezer and recently used one. It seems to have delivered the heat and flavor effectively.
Drying is turning into a big issue with my roommate complaining about the fragrance.
hell.gif

doh.gif
dancingpepper.gif
naughty.gif

You're only in Wauconda? GEEZ! You could walk here to Chicago and pick up the peppers.
rofl.gif

No prob. Yeah, some notice a metallic taste, some don't... so if you do, it may just be the bp. It could be that you don't notice it in the other cookies due to it being covered up etc. Hope it works out.

Check your baking soda too if you use it.

Quick update. The night you had me check the baking powder, I also noticed it was well past the expiry. With new, aluminum-free powder, the baking experience has completely changed for the better.

Back