• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

pepper flavor

first off im new, so be nice hahahah... i really like a challenge so i started my first year of growing peppers with a few different varities namley the moruga scorpion, orange scorpion, and a 7 pot jonah. im just curious of what kind of flavors i can expect...the only thing ive seen so far on anothr post is "firery battery acid" hrmmmm. are these palatable at all, or they just novelty peppers?

yes! they are all delicious! Yes the Jonah and moruga are devastatingly hot to most people, but they also have alot of flavor as well. All of the trinidad peppers have amazing flavor. There are many ornamentals that dont have alot of flavor because they were bred for color or compactness or shape, etc However, I cannot think of a single super hot that isnt delicious. in particular, the 7pots and the Nagas are delightful

the moruga is kinda of acird, very earthy and aromatic but w/ a little fruit flavor, the jonah is amazing, earthy, fruity and slightly acidic, and the orange scorpion is incredibly fruity and sweet, dont get me wrong the orange scorpion still has some heat, but not really superhot i wouldnt say, hope this has been helpful

They're cooking peppers, nothing you would toss onto a salad. The Morouga Scorps are pure heat and pain…un-freaking real!! Be sure to drive slowly with them.

I have eaten my fair share and in my opinion descriptors like "Fruity" and "Citrusy" are not what someone who has never eaten a super would think of those two words. I watched a ton of video reviews on MyTube before I ate my first (Yellow TS), and was waiting for an orange or kiwi flavor...that was way off, however once I tried one I can see where the parallel is drawn.

You can expect a flavor that you have never experienced before, and it will stick with you forever. There is something almost "clean" about them and that is a reminder of the Chinense.

Like Jack said, these are much better cooked or sauced, they can tear you in two raw. I usually only eat half and I have been down for the count on all those varieties, however, I can throw a half a dozen into a sauce and use it as needed. As far as the acrid battery acid taste, you are talking about most Douglah and Douglah Xs. I have only eaten one Douglah that didn't have that descriptor, but the rest, yup, BATTERY ACID!

Good Luck and remember...we love videos!!

thanks alot, all of you have been helpfull. i might have to try a stirfry!

what pepper/s have a smoky flavor, something that will be good for bar-b-q?

I don't know how many of you remember one of my first posts (probably no one), but for a good part of a year, a group of friends of mine get together for monday night (usually football when available) at Chili's, and we eat an assorted array of hot peppers. We cut them up into thin slices and have the guys in the back fry them up for us all mixed up. I haven't heard anyone in the forum talk about this already, but man, it is REALLY good! For whatever reason, probably some of the oils are cooked out, but the slices aren't as hot as they are fresh sliced. You still get a good taste, but not as bad. We usually mix up yellow 7 pods and fataliis, bhuts and nagas,and for extra heat, morugas and Butch Ts. Sometimes we throw in some of the huge jalapenos they have there, just to throw in something regular. They all taste good, but you really know when you hit a scorpion slice. We have got to the point that many times we have caught ourselves saying, "oh, that wasn't much, that was just a ghost pepper slice"
For me, I prefer to make powders out of my peppers and use them in various dishes. You get the great taste of the pepper without all the long lasting burning. Sure it will burn for a few minutes, but nothing like a fresh pepper. Of the scorpions, I like the moruga the best. It has a taste a lot like a habanero to me, but after growing about 10 different kinds of hot peppers, I still just love the taste of the Bhut Jolokia for a rich red pepper taste.

Back