• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

Pepper Grinders??

Question:

Lots of people use coffee grinders to grind peppers to powder. Has anyone found the powder gets that "burned" flavor when ground with a coffee grinder? I notice that when I grind coffee beans too fine, it tastes burnt due to the high heat from the friction of the blade.

I've yet to invest in a conical burr grinder, but this would be a good reason...

POTAWIE said:
Hey CaLoR, habs really don't dry well for me when strung. Maybe if you have a dry climate?

Well I havent really researched it too much yet, but I would think a dry non humid place inside would do fine. Do you hang them outside? I know these are rookie questions, but hey I'm new at this. :)

klyth said:
Question:

Lots of people use coffee grinders to grind peppers to powder. Has anyone found the powder gets that "burned" flavor when ground with a coffee grinder? I notice that when I grind coffee beans too fine, it tastes burnt due to the high heat from the friction of the blade.

I've yet to invest in a conical burr grinder, but this would be a good reason...

I haven't noticed this with the Magic bullet, my powders all come out tasting true to the pepper.

i have the same coffee grinder that my mom gave me that she had since... power cords being brown where in. it's seen everything sugar, coffee, peppers, regular pepper, herbs, and herbs. it adds character to the coffee : ).

following what everyone in here was saying, I used my magic bullet last night to make chile powder from Thai Dragons.

It was beautiful. Worked perfectly and didnt make me sneeze or cough because its an airtight seal.

Cant imagine a better result.

I bought something similar to a Magic Bullet last season, but the price was 1/3 or 1/2 of the real one. It worked like a charm and had two size containers. It too self-contains the powder.

For large amounts, I use a Cuisinart mini-food processor as my beginning prep. This grinds it down to a flake level where seeds still can be seen. Then I transfer the mixture to a Krups coffee grinder to finish the job. That too works well.

Chris

I am not sure if the original poster was interested in grining powder from dried pods as needed. For that, IKEA makes an excellent cermaic grinder for $6.99 with adjustable grind size. Works like a charm!

Chris

Back