• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

chinense Pepper I.D. Please. (naga,bhut...?)

I bought the seeds last December before I was a member on here and before I knew anything about Remier Seed company. They were sold as Naga Jolokia and I've been calling them that ever since. They took f o r e v e r to grow. I read something on here though about them selling mislabeled stuff. So now that the pods are turning ripe can anyone tell me exactly what I'm dealing with here? I hope I wasn't let down as I have all my co-workers grinding at the bit to try these.

My wife dropped off some of my ripe red savinas to keep them at bay while I'm gone (Iraq) and those put them in their place! I'm going to be seriously pissed if these aren't the real deal.

crops1.jpg

crops3.jpg

Yep, Bhut's alright. You are one of the lucy few that got what they ordered from Reimers.....actually, I think you are the only one.

Saweeeeeeeet! Yeah, they had all the signs of being the correct plant from the get go. Sprouting took ages as well as flowering and finally fruit. It's been a long hard road growing these babies. Thankfully I planted 5. :) I'll be sure to save some seeds from these for next year. Thanks everyone.

Nice to see someone order Naga Jolokia and not get the crappy Pc-1 type. Funny how Reimers considers the Naga Jolokia a different strain than the Naga Morich (or bhut/Bihs etc.)

That top pod is fat and almost 7 POT shaped.

With the advent of the internet, I think we can kiss most pepper types goodbye.

The only thing that kept pepper types pure, were gardeners who only grew one or 2 types in a fairly isolated area, and greenhouse growers who only grew 1 type.

Now we see seeds travelling literally around the world.

New types pop up like Scorpions and 7 POTs that are so obviously related to the bhuts and nagas, that someday I think they will all be the same thing, or there will be 50 types of each.

Even just on this site we are seeing yellow 7 pots, scorpions without tails, nagas with odd shapes, etc.

I am considering taking up Pam's old hobby of putting little condoms on the flowers to ensure pure seed!;)

All of the super hots seem closely related to me, and much of what we are growing is a cross of some sort or other.

I am either going to be less concerned with what is what, or get out the little condoms.

I'd like to get all landrace varieties right from the source but that isn't always easy. It seems the longer a variety is traded around, the more accidental hybrids and mutations occur. I think a lot of the differences are also due to years of adaptation to different tecniques and environments as well as different climates

A lot of wisdom in those words....I agree.

POTAWIE said:
I'd like to get all landrace varieties right from the source but that isn't always easy. It seems the longer a variety is traded around, the more accidental hybrids and mutations occur. I think a lot of the differences are also due to years of adaptation to different tecniques and environments as well as different climates

I just did a quick search for naga jolokia and saw that wikipedia and Uncle Steves hotstuff recognizes the naga jolokia (chinense not the pc1) as super hot...I wonder if the guy down in Key West that gave me the Naga Jolokia pod got them from either Reimers or UncleSteves...anyway...

so now do we add the Naga Jolokia (chinense) to the list of superhots....Dorset Naga, Bhut Jolokia, Bih Jolokia, and Naga Morich?...the pod type look very similar in all of them to me....or should they all be called just "Naga" family?

I agree with the cross breeding comments and thats why I won't trade any of my seeds with anyone unless they specifically asks me for some...especially the superhots...if I trade seeds with anyone, you can bet I will declare whether they were "bagged and tagged" or not...

To comment on the first part of the thread: I agree with the general view that you have a Naga (Bhut, Bih, Morich) and congrats on having the plant looking so good....

To comment on the second part of the thread: I also agree with the general view that as the world of chillis is getting easier to access, the chances of getting what you are told is a pure strain is decreasing...I am looking into the possibility of isolating some pods on some of my plants to keep them as pure as i have them at the moment (straight from the supplier), but even then I have got a 'hot banana' chilli that is meant to be a hungarian style chilli (long and thick skined) which matures from green - yellow - red with basic heat. My hot banana won't turn to red and looks more like a yellow capsicum and is super sweet with slight heat in the mouth which makes it perfect for salads. It's not what i was told it was but i love it and will isolate it to continue that strain..

moyboy said:
To comment on the first part of the thread: I agree with the general view that you have a Naga (Bhut, Bih, Morich) and congrats on having the plant looking so good....

To comment on the second part of the thread: I also agree with the general view that as the world of chillis is getting easier to access, the chances of getting what you are told is a pure strain is decreasing...I am looking into the possibility of isolating some pods on some of my plants to keep them as pure as i have them at the moment (straight from the supplier), but even then I have got a 'hot banana' chilli that is meant to be a hungarian style chilli (long and thick skined) which matures from green - yellow - red with basic heat. My hot banana won't turn to red and looks more like a yellow capsicum and is super sweet with slight heat in the mouth which makes it perfect for salads. It's not what i was told it was but i love it and will isolate it to continue that strain..

This is what really makes me not so concerned. I guess I am an optimist, but crosses are natural and OK.

People who get too anal about whether a variety is pure or not, are wasting their time.

In the end, whether or not it is good to eat is the absolutely most important factor.

Anyone who says differently can't see the forest through the trees. (hab trees?????;))

POTAWIE said:

Have to agree with you there my friend :)

cheezydemon said:
This is what really makes me not so concerned. I guess I am an optimist, but crosses are natural and OK.

People who get too anal about whether a variety is pure or not, are wasting their time.

In the end, whether or not it is good to eat is the absolutely most important factor.

Anyone who says differently can't see the forest through the trees. (hab trees?????;))

I guess I'm anal for wanting proven heirloom, landrace varieties instead of unknown, unstable hybrids?

No potowie, I mean being unhappy with a good pepper just because it might not be pure.

Hold on to the heirlooms, they will become more and more rare.

I agree, if a pepper tastes good why worry about it's proper name. Pretty much all peppers were hybrids at one time. The problem with hybrids is that they won't be the same the next generation so there is no consistency unless you keep the plant or clones alive year round. It sucks to grow a plant for several months only to find tasteless pods or unproductive or sick plants
I also believe that with the decrease in bee populations and other pollinators that cross breeding of pepper plants may become less common in the future. In the many years I've grown peppers, I've had very few if any noticable crosses from my own plants, and I also have very few bees around.

Wierdest cross I had this year were seeds from a gorgeous heirloom red bell. What came up looks like a cross between a peter pepper and a naga.

It has reasonably high heat and hab-like flavor. Hard to believe it's mother was the sweetest red bell with no heat whatsoever.

But you are right, the instability and lack of predictability is the issue.

My tobago seasonings from Trini are absolutely gorgeous. They are hot too. It must be crossed, but it is the most prolific plant I have this year. It swamps everything else and is covered in pods.

I guess those 2 crosses could have fared way worse!

Back